Dean Smith

Demitri_C

43 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

The unlucky part isn't the goal itself, it was well struck. Those types of goals are statistically much rarer (which is why you'd rather have teams shoot from outside the box), and we've been unlucky that we've conceded so many, in a row I might add. 

Conceding a worldie once every few games isn't unlucky. But 6 in a row in 3 consecutive games definitely is. The chances of it happening are very low, and yet it did.

I think we are the architects of our own demise of late.

• Like 1

Steady on....Brighton still going to be 5 points off us with two extra games played so we've still done plenty of good things so far this season.

Was holding they'd hold Saints to a draw though as they're another starting to get a bit of daylight ahead of us in the table.

If you're aiming to finish midtable or top half it's less about relying on others to lose games as it's inevitable by virtue of the fact that they're challenging that high up the table that they're going to win games, it's not like when you're battling with the bottom three or five teams and you can hope to finish above them because most weeks they will lose. To finish higher up the table we must win our own games.

30 minutes ago, useless said:

If you're aiming to finish midtable or top half it's less about relying on others to lose games as it's inevitable by virtue of the fact that they're challenging that high up the table that they're going to win games, it's not like when you're battling with the bottom three or five teams and you can hope to finish above them because most weeks they will lose. To finish higher up the table we must win our own games.

All about the points tallys for me.

In 17/18 season Leicester finished 9th on 47 points and Newcastle were 10th on 44 points.

However last season to finish 9th you needed 54 points and I get the feeling you'd need that this time.

Southampton in 16/17 season actually finished 8th with just 46 points, they only won 12 games all season and lost 16.

They could easily get more points this season and finish 9th.

I want us to finish in top 10 but it's much more likely if we only need 45-50 points to do that compared to 55 + which could happen if bottom 3 continue to be as bad as they've been.

Quite interesting looking at the 16/17 table. The teams that finished 8th-12th all won just 12 games all season. Can see us winning 14 or 15 games this season and finishing about 13th due to lack of draws.

Edited by VillaChris

1 hour ago, TRO said:

er, they will if we carry on defending like we are.

I can't help you if you're going to say we'll be conceding screamers every week. How can you think that's true? Sheffield Utd are bottom with one point do you think they concede them every game? Fulham? Albion? Any team bottom of their league? 

I fear you're being led astray by a Leeds fan pretending to be a Villa fan on here.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, villalad21 said:

I would take Ralph at Villa. 100 %

Really, really like him.

Well that's the kiss of death right there. 

Edited by Rightdm00
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

He's lost his focus this season. He's too busy having pops at Klopp.

But on a serious note it’s same coach, same tactics, same players, same attitudes etc. Only difference is the keeper. 

Wilder goes from manager of the year candidate to close to the sack. Such fine margins in this league. 

Once you hit rock bottom and struggle to win games. It begins a very difficult place to remain.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

But on a serious note it’s same coach, same tactics, same players, same attitudes etc. Only difference is the keeper. 

Wilder goes from manager of the year candidate to close to the sack. Such fine margins in this league. 

Once you hit rock bottom and struggle to win games. It begins a very difficult place to remain.

Yeah there is the keeper although I don't think that is the biggest difference. They have had injuries to fairly key players for the system that they play. O'Connell is vital to them both going forward and defending. They were very lucky last year with injuries and this season have been very unlucky. Also they don't have a player like Grealish who can produce something out of nothing or someone like Defoe who just always managed to score goals to keep things ticking over. Players like this are very important when the system isn't working perfectly which needs to happen for Sheff Utd to perform.

Also some of the players were playing out of their skin last season and sustaining that level of performance is not really possible. Their "real level" is probably somewhere in between this season and last.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Brighton lost though.

They must have been poor, that's how it works isn't it? They just didn't close down hard enough.

Funnily enough they've drawn to West Brom and Burnley this season. Wonder what happened there? They are bad results. Perhaps they didn't have a screamer fly in in those games? Perhaps they didn't get a very favourable VAR call?

I've never seen a fan with such grass is greener syndrome. 

If you are going to compare us to other teams surely it has to be based on a range of games. You can’t pick one where we were bad and one where they are good and then say why can’t we do that!

12 hours ago, TRO said:

are you watching the Brighton v Southampton game?

They are closing each other down, quite a nullifying physical endeavour....Southampton relying on the Laursen look alike Vestergard to power in a header.

There is no danger of the Worldies folk talked about why?......because both side ares not allowing each other to do it.

Ward-Prowse is being carefully chaperoned, which is taking that sting away.....Walcott is isolated and starved of the ball.

Interesting game from 2 teams who beat us.....I really don't see any danger from either of them, when you see it like this.

This is a strange post. Southampton broke the deadlock with a Vestergard header which has been put down to poor defending by us but for Brighton we're just going to allow it.

There's not much danger of "Worldies" in many football games - they don't happen often which is why such a big deal is made of them. To say that we should legislate for Ward-Prowse banging two free kicks into top corners and Ings smashing one in off the bar is a strange way of viewing football matches.

Incidentally, the one goal that we conceded against both of these teams which was most concerning to me was the opening Brighton goal which was caused by complete defensive naivety.

If teams continue to score goals like Ward-Prowse, Ings and March have scored past us this season then we'd have to be the unluckiest team in Premier League history. If someone like March was capable of scoring that shot on more than about 1 in 50 attempts then he wouldn't be playing for Brighton.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

If someone like March was capable of scoring that shot on more than about 1 in 50 attempts then he wouldn't be playing for Brighton.

Haha very true. I personally felt it was a bit of a fluke shot. The ball took a horrible bobble just before it reached his foot, which added pace to the ball so he only had to side foot it in. I could be wrong but felt that without that bobble that wasn't going in 

Â