Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Hopefully Deano has some transfer targets and a bit of spending money available for the transfer window.

We definitely need more depth at LB, CB and LM and CM...

It will be interesting to see how we do...

Hopefully better than last time when we spent a wedge on a player who only served to gain us thousands of African football critics...

I think the general frustration on here comes from the fact that we can all see what huge leaps forward we've made since the end of lockdown - with our re-start form, our strong recruitment etc. - but the frustration comes when we deliver it against the Big 6 and Leicester and then consistently (over the last 5 games) get done in games against teams we should beat, particularly in games like the West Ham game where we dominated them but had a couple of defensive lapses and missed some really good chances.  Not helped by the fact we were mugged off by VAR.

To me it seems that Smith has, overall, done well.  Where he is very weak, I believe, is his tactical flexibility and his ability to play different styles.  This was evidenced for me in the Championship when Jack and SJM were both injured and he still insisted on playing the same 4-3-3 even though he didn't have the players to deliver it.  As soon as Jack and SJM were back the form was completely transformed and we went on to win 10 in a row.  This is also evidenced, for me, by his constant efforts to play Hourihane as an "8" when he just cannot do it.  Where he is strong - and this would be my assessment, in hindsight, of his success at Brentford and what he appears to be doing now at Villa - is finding players to suit his 4-3-3 system.  I think another two windows and we could have a squad that is all geared up to delivering a Smith performance with back up options to suit.  We could, hopefully, be a very good side.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

I think the general frustration on here comes from the fact that we can all see what huge leaps forward we've made since the end of lockdown - with our re-start form, our strong recruitment etc. - but the frustration comes when we deliver it against the Big 6 and Leicester and then consistently (over the last 5 games) get done in games against teams we should beat, particularly in games like the West Ham game where we dominated them but had a couple of defensive lapses and missed some really good chances.  Not helped by the fact we were mugged off by VAR.

To me it seems that Smith has, overall, done well.  Where he is very weak, I believe, is his tactical flexibility and his ability to play different styles.  This was evidenced for me in the Championship when Jack and SJM were both injured and he still insisted on playing the same 4-3-3 even though he didn't have the players to deliver it.  As soon as Jack and SJM were back the form was completely transformed and we went on to win 10 in a row.  This is also evidenced, for me, by his constant efforts to play Hourihane as an "8" when he just cannot do it.  Where he is strong - and this would be my assessment, in hindsight, of his success at Brentford and what he appears to be doing now at Villa - is finding players to suit his 4-3-3 system.  I think another two windows and we could have a squad that is all geared up to delivering a Smith performance with back up options to suit.  We could, hopefully, be a very good side.

This x 1000

Expectations have gone a lot higher because we've seen the type of form we are now capable of.

But the poor form and continuous losses (especially from winning positions), the inability to beat 10 men and clown defending from last season is hard to forget, particularly when we are still showing echoes of the same types of defensive weaknesses. 

Dean has his favourite players and favourite way of playing and when it works it is golden, but that won't work for an entire season due to injuries and burn out. So he either learns to trust some of his squad players to do a job or we buy more in January. Either way it feels like he is creating a mini bomb squad currently and that never ends well.

Edited by VillanousOne

On 03/12/2020 at 11:42, TRO said:

I totally agree.....we are so close to getting it right.

I think the right signings in the next window, to address these concerns, will make us more rounded as a group.

I agree a couple of decent signings that both increase the quality and the depth would make a big difference. 

We still lack quality on the right side attacking wise. Centrally in midfield we still lack a commander who can both put his foot on the ball to calm things down but also drive us forwards. 

Other positions I have concerns about are CB and CF. In both those positions we are an injury away from struggling. We also don’t have any real options to replace players who’s form may have dipped or particularly in the case of striker a real game changer on the bench.

As we all know though making good signings in January whilst not impossible is pretty tricky.  

2 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

As we all know though making good signings in January whilst not impossible is pretty tricky.  

Couldn't resist the chance to mention RASHICA .... 😍  Linked again this morning.  Would be perfect for us ... can play on either wing or at "10".  Looks like Jack mk II.  Gives us options/cover.  This plus Wes back would make us look a lot more covered up front and in ACM.

For me then it is cover/rotation for SJM that is key at this stage?  The rest can wait for next summer.

Would need to shift a few players out - obviously Lansbury, Kalanic and, for me, Hourihane if we can bring in a new CM'er.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I agree a couple of decent signings that both increase the quality and the depth would make a big difference. 

We still lack quality on the right side attacking wise. Centrally in midfield we still lack a commander who can both put his foot on the ball to calm things down but also drive us forwards. 

Other positions I have concerns about are CB and CF. In both those positions we are an injury away from struggling. We also don’t have any real options to replace players who’s form may have dipped or particularly in the case of striker a real game changer on the bench.

You must know my feelings on that, by now Dave.....Priority for me.

I believe the right player in that position would have a knock on effect on the rest.....I think we have enough talent to open teams up, they need " The insurance man" ( Ron Atkinsons description) further back to give them confidence, to stay in position or be ready to go back on the front foot and give the defence confidence there is a layer of defence in front of them.....it has to be a dominant character by definition.

The parodox for me is....I think it affects our attacking play.....Example.....If you are attacking and knowing if you lose the ball, you will have to scurry back, you are more likely to lose it through that nervousness.....conversely, if you are attacking and know you have competent ball winners behind snapping at the heels of the opponent or picking up the ball in transition through intelligent reading to relaunch the attack, you are much more likely , not to lose it in the first place....its confidence, in your team mates......If the attack has to keep tarcking back too much, they lose heart, not to mention energy and stamina.

These players are the engine room of a team and contribute so much to the overall welfare of the team.

Edited by TRO
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, barry'sboots said:

Couldn't resist the chance to mention RASHICA .... 😍  Linked again this morning.  Would be perfect for us ... can play on either wing or at "10".  Looks like Jack mk II.  Gives us options/cover.  This plus Wes back would make us look a lot more covered up front and in ACM.

For me then it is cover/rotation for SJM that is key at this stage?  The rest can wait for next summer.

Would need to shift a few players out - obviously Lansbury, Kalanic and, for me, Hourihane if we can bring in a new CM'er.

You’ve no idea the effort I put in to not use the R word! Nevertheless I absolutely agree, him or a player like him would be a great signing for us. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, TRO said:

You must know my feelings on that, by now Dave.....Priority for me.

I believe the right player in that position would have a knock on effect on the rest.....I think we have enough talent to open teams up, they need " The insurance man" ( Ron Atkinsons description) further back to give them confidence, to stay in possition or be ready to go back on the front foot and give the defence confidence there is a layer of defence in front of them.....it has to be a dominant character by definition.

Spot on TRO. We’ve all seen what happens when Mings goes off for a wander. If we had that trouble shooter in the middle of the pitch we could probably add 10+ points a season. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Spot on TRO. We’ve all seen what happens when Mings goes off for a wander. If we had that trouble shooter in the middle of the pitch we could probably add 10+ points a season. 

Dare I venture in to the world of Robbie Savage ...the little scrote.....a bloody nuisance that disrupted play but let the opposition know, they were in a game, a poor mans Nobby Stiles or Graeme Souness.

Take Arsenal for all their super skilled players over the years, never replaced Patrick Viera and Emmanual Petite....that fortress in the middle, that drove the team on to compete.

When Savage left Blues They just went down the pan, never to recover Imo.

These players are not eye Candy and they may have evolved somewhat, but they are still there.....They make it difficult for the opposition to play against....that is their prime function......and some like Ward -Prowse and Kalvin Phillips can play a bit too.

Edited by TRO
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

couldn't possibly agree more......I know its not a popular call on here, but I believe it to be true.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rightdm00 said:

It's definitely not a foolproof stat. The fact that it doesn't capture chances that generate a shot is a big hole. Not sure how you could integrate chances like you mentioned so it's important to only use it as part of your metric when gauging our performance. 

watching the game beats the lot....not trying to be smug...

"There are lies, damn lies and statistics"

they have some place....but to use them wholey and soley to prove every argument on a colplex game is folly.

I wonder how far away Carney Chukwuemeka is?  If he was the best 16 yo in the country a year ago and Jude Bellingham is now playing for Dortmund in the CL, he can't be far away.  From what I have seen he looks the closest to a Viera type that we have ever had down the Villa?  Knowing us though, he'll play in the U-23s for another couple of years and then go out on loan until he is 21/22??

23 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

I wonder how far away Carney Chukwuemeka is?  If he was the best 16 yo in the country a year ago and Jude Bellingham is now playing for Dortmund in the CL, he can't be far away.  From what I have seen he looks the closest to a Viera type that we have ever had down the Villa?  Knowing us though, he'll play in the U-23s for another couple of years and then go out on loan until he is 21/22??

Does he get knocked down? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

Who said he was the best 16 year old in the country?  

Just now, TRO said:

watching the game beats the lot....not trying to be smug...

"There are lies, damn lies and statistics"

they have some place....but to use them wholey and soley to prove every argument on a colplex game is folly.

Fully agree. I use xG as a way to push through any bias I may have.

For example, I'm a huge Dean Smith fan. Love the guy 100%, so I know my bias can creep into any post game breakdown. Since xG and other valid metrics are designed to be impartial it allows me counteract any bias I may try to introduce. 

16 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

Fully agree. I use xG as a way to push through any bias I may have.

For example, I'm a huge Dean Smith fan. Love the guy 100%, so I know my bias can creep into any post game breakdown. Since xG and other valid metrics are designed to be impartial it allows me counteract any bias I may try to introduce. 

I'm a Dean Smith fan too......I just like to forensically ananlyse why we are conceding so many soft goals on the back of such a fine and comprehensive start.

what does the stats tell us about that?....because watching the games, I think I have a pretty good idea.

Â