Dean Smith

Demitri_C

3 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

We need to rip out all of them, the whole management team.

They can't coach, are tactically naive and have signed mostly Championship players for the PL.

Get rid of them all....what a disaster this season has been. 

I think you'll find their greatest flaw was the disposition the club was already in coming in to this season. And by the way, it's not over yet.

Just now, Hobbit Feet said:

Did you see Nyland today lol??? Don’t want to see him in a villa shirt again. Play Reina. 

I thought Reina was out for a while. If Reina's available then for sure.

Nyland doesn't inspire confidence, but I feel that is his issue, nerves and indecision, rather than being a poor goalkeeper.

If there was ever a time to gamble, it's now. The board have sat on their hands doing nothing, watching this free fall for months. Reality is he should have gone at Christmas but understandably wasn't little over a month after being given that brainless new contract. Supposedly he was close to the bullet before lockdown, now we really do have to act if we are to stand any chance. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hobbit Feet said:

Did you see Nyland today lol??? Don’t want to see him in a villa shirt again. Play Reina. 

I think Reina will be in goal at anfield and rightly so . 

10 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

Nyland doesn't inspire confidence, but I feel that is his issue, nerves and indecision, rather than being a poor goalkeeper.

Reina is fit , been sub the last 4 games 

Edited by Eastie
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Eastie said:

Steve stride - great insight into the goings on at a football club under Doug 👍

Non villa warnocK and dare I say it robbie savage 🤣

regarding the salary of any new possible manager , the owners are very wealthy and ambitious ,  I have no doubt they could afford to pay top notch should the right manager be available and interested .

I think we have fallen down that hole too many times......and wasted rakes of money buying the wrong players along the way. The owners have had their fingers burnt to a degree, they need to see that......a top class manager, WILL change our fortunes. not just a big name, but one who is a serial winner and has the "eye of the tiger"

They need to target a manager they want and bite the bullet, pay the compo and the savings will be made medium to long term, in the transfer market....a good manager will buy the right players or influence the right signings.

This business of the manager has to be available has been our down fall......we have to make them available.....we have to be proactive and not reactive as a club and that breeds through the whole organisation.......The whole ethos is reactive, it has to change.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sounds like he is off and the owners are giving the bat signal to the fans as they finalise the plans post Smith.

I honesty dont know who they could bring in as a short term fix so it will probably be Terry through the end of the season while they get a long term one in. Which would be fine by me. It would be good to see what a JT team would play like. I mean we are going down any way, lets see if JT has a style of play in his head for when he becomes a manager, I am genuinely curious.

The only thing that inspires me any hope with a different manager to Smith to be in charge of our remaining fixtures and ultimately what division we start next season in is that we have ambitious owners, who I'm guessing would have been monitoring the need for a potential replacement, and have developed some idea for who's to replace him and why.

I'd stick Reina in on the off chance he's extra motivated because he's playing Liverpool. 

He was shakey before he got dropped for Nyland, but truth be told Nyland is a dreadful goalkeeper so we're not risking much by throwing Reina in.

1 hour ago, QldVilla said:

I don’t know if sacking Smith is the best option, as I believe the clubs issues are far more complex than one issue.

The club wasn’t ready to go back to the PL, hence having to spend a lot of money on unproven PL standard players. I have no doubt most of them will eventually reach that level, but they were never going to do that as a group who individually needed those 30-40 games experience at that level to be competitive. It’s not just talent and fitness, it’s the psychology as well.

There wasn’t enough depth in the squad to rotate players, hence when major injuries occur, there wasn’t an adequate replacement. The one thing we had in the Championship was leaders, they may have been at the end of their careers, but they were respected in the squad. You can’t manufacture leadership, Heaton and McGinn provided some, but the change in squad mentality was glaring when both went down to long term injuries.

Back to Smith, with all that against him, some bad referee calls, he still has the chance, although very slim, of keeping this team up. The worst criticism I can lay at Smith is that maybe he wasn’t ready as a manager for the PL, and that’s not really a criticism, you just don’t know until your in the heat of the fire. 

Maybe he would have never been ready, but I don’t believe the clubs position is of his own making.

Good post. I think it’s unfair to blame Smith but I think you have to question whether he’s the right man for such a big job.  I like Smith and always grateful for what he has done. But we don’t seem to be seeing progression. That’s when change is needed.

5 hours ago, A'Villan said:

Being calm and decisive is a big part of what makes you a good goalkeeper. If you don't have that, then you're probably not a good goalkeeper.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Being calm and decisive is a big part of what makes you a good goalkeeper. If you don't have that, then you're probably not a good goalkeeper.

It's really the same in any position, it's either an asset one possesses in any given moment or a liability that will oftentimes go punished.

My point was merely that Nyland's distribution has been good at times this season, and we've seen some very decent reflex saves here and there.

Sure, if he's mind's not right and he's making errors because he can't keep it together well enough to produce, then he's no good to us, I'm just saying we've seen he has ability.

Â