Dean Smith

Demitri_C

2 minutes ago, Only2McInallys said:

There are some very optimistic/deluded  Villa fans on here regarding our next manager.

Poch??? Rafa who is on something like £12 million in China

Why don’t we go for Klopp he seems to doing well at the moment.

Dont know what the view on Dyce on here is  but  I would describe him an very skilled Premier League manager with limited resources who plays industrial football.His first season in the Premier league ....relegated with 33 points...sounds familiar.

For me with the huge turnaround we have had with playing staff in last 4 years we need stability .How many new players have we signed in the last 5 years?I would guess the number is very very high.

Stick with Smith.

What signs of stability do you see?

Stability, needs to be based on incremental improvement and that has been missing from his tenure this season......We are presiding over an absence of winning and it is becoming a habit, with no signs of changing......There is gradually developing a disconnect between manager and team.....that is a result in losing so often, belief evaporates and sadly, it is oh so difficult to retrieve......He has lost the reins and he has tried everything to get us back on track.

we cannot keep losing or not winning and call it stability, there is no alternative.

we need someone who is used to winning and can instill a level of aggression in this outfit.....a personality, that can inspire, motivate and drive us on.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Eastie said:

You old rascal , it was me who recommended his book to you 😂

I have over 100 football autobiographies and must admit warnocks is in the top 3 

Sorry Eastie, it was....and what a good recommendation it was...."teaching my grandmother to suck eggs" telling you.

what an entertaining read.....I love his single minded approach to winning, like Fergie...and his passion for winning.

not the greatest manager, but from a pragmatic point of view, fired everyone up, no slacking with him, no shrinking violets....he is a motivator.

He has just joined Boro' and gets a win today... at 70 odd.

ps which one was the best autobiography?

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, TRO said:

Sorry Eastie, it was....and what a good recommendation it was...."teaching my grandmother to suck eggs" telling you.

what an entertaining read.....I love his single minded approach to winning, like Fergie...and his passion for winning.

not the greatest manager, but from a pragmatic point of view, fired everyone up, no slacking with him, no shrinking violets....he is a motivator.

He has just joined Boro' and gets a win today.

ps which one was the best autobiography?

Steve stride - great insight into the goings on at a football club under Doug 👍

Non villa warnocK and dare I say it robbie savage 🤣

regarding the salary of any new possible manager , the owners are very wealthy and ambitious ,  I have no doubt they could afford to pay top notch should the right manager be available and interested .

Edited by Eastie
  • Thanks 1

I never thought he would be experienced enough for the Premier league from day one. I kinda knew him through work when he used to live in Streetly managing Walsall. Had a few chats with him, as one of my best pals used to play football with him as a kid over Kingstanding. He always came across as a old skool coach not really a manager type. I thought even then, he would struggle in the Prem, I always remember his wife saying he should be able to manage Arsenal, but I always thought he wouldn't deal with the ego's. You have to be someone to manage in this league or else you lose the respect pretty quickly, all the great managers either have big experience or big egos, so you can't really count it out as being one of the main qualities if you want your club to go places.

I think in reality Smith never really gained the respect which is required in the Premier League from some of the players. I will probably say he has done his job to the best of his ability, but unfortunately it wasn't good enough. He is now like a man who has run out of ideas, tried everything, still don't know his first team and I think close to losing the players. Best thing for both parties is let him go. I cannot see us winning another game and we are just making it worst for him and our club.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

What signs of stability do you see?

Stability, needs to be based on incremental improvement and that has been missing from his tenure this season......We are presiding over an absence of winning and it is becoming a habit, with no signs of changing......There is gradually developing a disconnect between manager and team.....that is a result in losing so often, belief evaporates and sadly, it is oh so difficult to retrieve......He has lost the reins and he has tried everything to get us back on track.

we cannot keep losing or not winning and call it stability, there is no alternative.

we need someone who is used to winning and can instill a level of aggression in this outfit.....a personality, that can inspire, motivate and drive us on.

I mean stability in terms of players.I think there are some good players who will do well in the championship.A new manager coming in is probably going to want to completely restructure the squad.We have done that 3 or 4 times in the last 5 years.Many people on here have demanded we get rid   players that ended up being good Lowton,Albrigton,Gueye,Traore etc I hope we don’t keep making the same mistakes.Buying lots of new players is no guarantee they are going to be any good.

We are struggling at the moment mainly because we lack belief we can beat the bigger teams.The defeats we suffered against Arsenal and Liverpool have had long lasting effects.Our squad is lacking talent in some key areas.I also think our main focus should be on avoiding relegation until it is certain.

The problem was Bruce kept buying players then not playing them and using expensive loan players or players close to retirement instead, this mean the players that got us promoted either left or retired. Dean had to then construct a squad from 'what was available' to make up the numbers, I doubt what we ended up with were all first choices. 

He hoped Heaton, McGinn, Mings and Grealish would be the spine of the team (the first two have been injured most of the campaign). The rest have all looked like gambles or players with 'potential to come good' but we don't have the luxury of time, most will go on to do well at another club. How we ever thought we could stay in the division with this group of players is beyond me.

Once Grealish has gone, I expect at least 60% of the current players to follow, whether or not they are good enough. I don't think we will make many losses on most of the players signed and hopefully we have wage clauses which makes it easier to move donkeys like Trezeguet on.

Said it at the time that giving him a 4 year deal when we already looked shite at the start of the season was a terrible decision.

Purslow has questions to answer, tbh, it was incredibly poor judgement.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, penguin said:

What’s with all the Warnock talk, he’s just taken the job at Boro hasn’t he?

Yes and won his first game ...he wouldnt be right for us he has always struggled at this level but Big Sam would do a job.TBH I think almost any fresh face on the sidelines would help now 

Just now, Davkaus said:

Said it at the time that giving him a 4 year deal when we already looked shite at the start of the season was a terrible decision.

Purslow has questions to answer, tbh, it was incredibly poor judgement.

Purslow smith and Suso all to blame to some extent 

2 minutes ago, Nabby said:

Yes and won his first game ...he wouldnt be right for us he has always struggled at this level but Big Sam would do a job.TBH I think almost any fresh face on the sidelines would help now 

Would you accept old harry redknapp assisting JT for 6 games ? 

Edited by Eastie

We're going to have to buy quite a few players in the summer anyway, I think the whole thing of having to buiid a new squad is overplayed anyway, most teams sign five plus players every season, so squads always change at quite a rapid rate.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Only2McInallys said:

I mean stability in terms of players.I think there are some good players who will do well in the championship.A new manager coming in is probably going to want to completely restructure the squad.We have done that 3 or 4 times in the last 5 years.Many people on here have demanded we get rid   players that ended up being good Lowton,Albrigton,Gueye,Traore etc I hope we don’t keep making the same mistakes.Buying lots of new players is no guarantee they are going to be any good.

We are struggling at the moment mainly because we lack belief we can beat the bigger teams.The defeats we suffered against Arsenal and Liverpool have had long lasting effects.Our squad is lacking talent in some key areas.I also think our main focus should be on avoiding relegation until it is certain.

I don't think any of the 'good' players you mentioned are regulars in their respective teams are they?

Regards,

VLD.

2 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Would you accept old harry redknapp assisting JT for 6 games ? 

Might be worth a shot ...like I said I feel like just a different voice on the sidelines is needed.

37 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Yes , not an option , I’d like to see us bring in a continental manager next time with new fresh ideas .

I'm not so sure, it's the in trend thing for clubs at the moment, bring in young bloke from a European league who may not even be a manager but an assistant manager at a successful club

That bloke that took over at huddersfield (siewert?) was highly rated and lasted barely 6 months

Just now, Jimzk5 said:

I'm not so sure, it's the in trend thing for clubs at the moment, bring in young bloke from a European league who may not even be a manager but an assistant manager at a successful club

That bloke that took over at huddersfield (siewert?) was highly rated and lasted barely 6 months

Needs to be the right man , whoever he may be ,  preferably someone who has Had experience of managing a big club 

If he keeps us up he will keep his job as a reward for doing that, if we go down he will be seen as best man to bring us back up as he's won promotion before and knows the players. And the likely removal of Pitarch will be in of itself almost an admission that Smith had a difficult job because of poor rercruitment That's what the message seems to be, I think the big move in the summer will be Suso's replacement, although Smith will need to get off to a good start to keep his job beyond the early stages of the season.

3 hours ago, thabucks said:

Dead man walking and expect him gone tonight !

Walking the Mile, walking the green mile.

Edited by Dave-R
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Needs to be the right man , whoever he may be ,  preferably someone who has Had experience of managing a big club 

I'll ask again, who? Who, realistically, could be the next AVFC manager?

1 minute ago, useless said:

If he keeps us up he will keep his job as a reward for doing that, if we go down he will be seen as best man to bring us back up as he's won promotion before and knows the players. And the likely removal of Pitarch will be in of itself almost an admission that Smith had a difficult job because of poor rercruitment That's what the message seems to be, I think the big move in the summer will be Suso's replacement, although Smith will need to get off to a good start to keep his job beyond the early stages of the season.

I don’t think we will win another game this season under smith - not overly bothered what purslow says either , he has a small percentage of the club ,  if Eden’s and sawaris want to change manager then purslow will do it ,  probably play the mutual consent card . 

purslow himself should be hauled in front of the owners to explain his abysmal overseeing of both smith and Suso - he need to get his own act together . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â