Dean Smith

Demitri_C

7 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I think Smith would do a great job at Wolves yes, they have great technical players. Top 10 no problems. Probably not as good as Nuno no because he isn't as good a manager.

Sheff U he might struggle, 433 wouldn't suit them and that's all he plays. Definitely wouldn't have them up there because he isn't as good a manager as Wilder.

We'd be in a relegation battle with Nuno or Wilder or Klopp or Pep because we have a lot of terrible players.

Smith wouldn’t have a clue at wolves ; they would never consider him - he’s been shown for what he is , a championship level Manager , 

Edited by Eastie

Just now, lexicon said:

I don't think it is throwing in the towel at all, it's acually showing commitment to a long term strategy for a change.

We bounced around managers for years and have got absolutely nowhere in terms of trophies for pushing 25 years now. Maybe a little patience is required for a change? 

A long term strategy that will end in tears as is the Villa way . 
As you said , 25 years  without a major trophy ,  how patient do we need to be 🤣

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eastie said:

A long term strategy that will end in tears as is the Villa way . 
As you said , 25 years  without a major trophy ,  how patient do we need to be 🤣

We've burned through 13 managers in that time and the only thing of any note was being playoff champs under Smith last season. 

He showed last season that with a comparatively good squad in the league, he can get results. I personally don't think that our squad is very good and when you add to the fact that it's not a settled squad, we're about where we should be. I'm not going to demand for someone to be sacked for not exceeding expectations and I don't think that getting relegated this time round will be as much of a disaster as some seem to think. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

So for ultimately being poor in the Premiership, coming back worse after the lock down, not being able to do anything with £150 million and actually struggling to get a consistency out of a £80 million player. When relegated, the board are going to give him another chance in the Championship. Good screw that Villa job👍

Smith will be under such massive pressure in the Championship.

He has to deliver the first 2 months.

I thought people would have calmed down a bit this morning. Theres a lot of arguments that could be levelled against Smith are being lost in the bizarre comments, where whatever Smith says is an excuse/ wrong etc. These from the same people who 12 months ago saw him as our saviour. Perhaps oleary and the bluenoses are right.  Alot of our fanbase is fickle, and constantly reaching for the bed sheets. 

I dont believe Dean, let's call him by his first name, you do for jack even if he disappears in vital games, is the man for the job. However not laying any responsibility at other factors is bizarre. Unless theres a reasoned debate, and a genuine evaluation of the season, purchases, management, coaching, player ability, this hysteria will just leave us in a cycle of poor managers like in the 2000's.

You call for stability, but want change when things arent going well. The closest parallel is newcastle, they achieved stability by not panicking. 

I'm off to dun elm to buy my bed sheet. 

Take care all, see you at Fleetwood (another one off the list).

The reason he hasn't been sacked now, is because the new manager that we would require now to try and make an immediate impact to save us from relegatoin, is most likely a very different type of manager that we'd need for the long term.

The choice is probably either replacing him with someone like Terry, Allardyce, or Hughton now, or waiting until the summer and replacing him with someone with more of a long term vision. Only way around it would be if someone like Allardyce would agree to until the end of the season, but that' not going to happen as he or anyone else isn't going to risk their reputation trying to save a club that looks pretty much doomed.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, lexicon said:

We've burned through 13 managers in that time and the only thing of any note was being playoff champs under Smith last season. 

He showed last season that with a comparatively good squad in the league, he can get results. I personally don't think that our squad is very good and when you add to the fact that it's not a settled squad, we're about where we should be. I'm not going to demand for someone to be sacked for not exceeding expectations and I don't think that getting relegated this time round will be as much of a disaster as some seem to think. 

The squad last season had grealish , Abraham , mings , axel and mcginn - it was a very strong squad at that level , without grealish we looked dreadful under smith ,  I wouldn’t back him to get villa back up ,  he seems to have regressed as a manager ,  looks devoid of belief and not the same as the man who arrived here - I’ve seen it happen to many managers at villa . 

12 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Smith wouldn’t have a clue at wolves ; they would never consider him - he’s been shown for what he is , a championship level Manager , 

Wasn't the question.

Yes, he probably has.

2 minutes ago, Stratvillan said:

I thought people would have calmed down a bit this morning. Theres a lot of arguments that could be levelled against Smith are being lost in the bizarre comments, where whatever Smith says is an excuse/ wrong etc. These from the same people who 12 months ago saw him as our saviour. Perhaps oleary and the bluenoses are right.  Alot of our fanbase is fickle, and constantly reaching for the bed sheets. 

I dont believe Dean, let's call him by his first name, you do for jack even if he disappears in vital games, is the man for the job. However not laying any responsibility at other factors is bizarre. Unless theres a reasoned debate, and a genuine evaluation of the season, purchases, management, coaching, player ability, this hysteria will just leave us in a cycle of poor managers like in the 2000's.

You call for stability, but want change when things arent going well. The closest parallel is newcastle, they achieved stability by not panicking. 

It’s true smith is getting a lot of the flack but purslow and Suso are both culpable too - all 3 are 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Stratvillan said:

I just feel Dean has been massively been found out at this level.

Coming up against superior managers every week. When they change it mid game he doesn't have an answer.

One trick pony. Reactive not proactive. Smith will simply never succeed at this level so i don't see an argument for keeping him on.

We have ambitions of establishing us in the top half in the Premier League. That ain't happening under Smith.

1 minute ago, Eastie said:

It’s true smith is getting a lot of the flack but purslow and Suso are both culpable too - all 3 are 

It was a massive task tbf and we're still hanging in there. 

I can't think of many teams that have had to take on a project like this and do what we did, which is replace pretty much everyone. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lexicon said:

We'll lose our next 2 games and we might be 4-5 points off safety by then but who knows if Bournemouth and West Ham will keep f***ing up.

10 minutes ago, lexicon said:

But those 13 managers include , Garde, RDM. McLeish, Sherwood, houllier  - it's the calibre of manager we appoint that is the problem.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, HeyAnty said:

The time to be conservative was back in November and build on it.  Not now when we need 9 -10 pts from 6 games.

Given the ratio of points to games by the bottom teams I’m thinking 6 points maybe enough

2 minutes ago, jim said:

This trope is so boring.

All those managers are very good coaches and have improved their players. Look at what Nuno has done with the likes of Coady and Adama. Same with Wilder.

Smith makes players go backwards.

Confidence is a huge part of sport.

Our team is on the floor and has been for a long time after many sickening gut punches this season.

I don't think Smith makes players go backwards. I think every single player got better and better when he came in last season.

The the bad run started and hey, they struggled again, before winning some matches and looking good again.

If you think Smith makes all players go backwards that's OK. You hold onto that.

Just on those two players btw. Coady remains below average surrounded by brilliant players and Traore is used as he should be in a great system. This sort of ability was always there with him. Pulis was the one to initially turn him round.

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

We'll lose our next 2 games and we might be 4-5 points off safety by then but who knows if Bournemouth and West Ham will keep f***ing up.

Yeah because they’ve been doing that all season 

7 minutes ago, lexicon said:

I can't think of many teams that have had to take on a project like this and do what we did, which is replace pretty much everyone. 

I’ve given up any hope now , I saw nothing yesterday to inspire any real hope of survival , we look devoid of ideas and poor in every area of the field , for me the game is up and I’ve accepted we are down under smith . 
The worst thing for me is we are going with barely a whimper . 

• Like 2

Just now, nick76 said:

Yeah because they’ve been doing that all season 

West Ham have got a favorable run in and Watford have an easier fixture list than ours. Newcastle away is were we got relegated. We ain't capable in beating the top teams.

I think our chances in staying up is less than 50 %

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

West Ham have got a favorable run in and Watford have an easier fixture list than ours. Newcastle away is were we got relegated. We ain't capable in beating the top teams.

I think our chances in staying up is less than 50 %

I agree with the last line but the paragraph above is my point, they haven’t done in it all season so why now.  Same for us.

Â