Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Unless we have a disastrous end to the season and end up being comfortably relegated, then I think Smith will keep his job even we go down because of the injuries he's had to contend with.

22 hours ago, screwdriver said:

This huddle is soooooooooo for the camera's!

It reminds me of Phil Brown when he did the same routine at half time once for hull. Why not say that stuff in the dressing room?

I'm not buying it.

I know right, disgusting of him to bring the team together on the pitch, to express how proud he was of them for the effort, after a Cup final against one of the best teams in the world.

You can bet all the shouting and gesturing from the sidelines all the time, is all for the cameras as well.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, useless said:

Unless we have a disastrous end to the season and end up being comfortably relegated, then I think Smith will keep his job even we go down because of the injuries he's had to contend with.

Most teams should be able to cope with 2 major injuries in a season.

Unfortune we're not most teams we're newly promoted and with the cirumstances we found ourselves in had a weaker squad than most to begin with anyway, and when you look at it we lost two of our best players in McGinn and Heaton, and although many don't rate Wesley he was still a very important player who we could have also done without losing, and not to forget Davis, for all the criticism he gets for not scoring when fit he still makes a big difference. Not saying I agree with it or disagree with it, will have to see how things look at the end of the season, but I think it will play into les propriétaires considérations.

Edited by useless

1 hour ago, useless said:

Unfortune we're not most teams we're newly promoted and with the cirumstances we found ourselves in had a weaker squad than most to begin with anyway, and when you look at it we lost two of our best players in McGinn and Heaton, and although many don't rate Wesley he was still a very important player who we could have also done without losing, and not to forget Davis, for all the criticism he gets for not scoring when fit he still makes a big difference. Not saying I agree with it or disagree with it, will have to see how things look at the end of the season, but I think it will play into les propriétaires considérations.

We had no squad to begin with really, after you take away the 23 players who went out the door we didn't have an eleven and a bench, let alone a squad. That's purely in terms of numbers too, not even mentioning quality to ensure staying up. 

14 minutes ago, romavillan said:

We had no squad to begin with really, after you take away the 23 players who went out the door we didn't have an eleven and a bench, let alone a squad. That's purely in terms of numbers too, not even mentioning quality to ensure staying up. 

Also we had 2 weeks less to prepare due to the play offs!!

37 minutes ago, romavillan said:

We literally had 3 players that started on Sunday and one of them isn’t a first team player.  Fans seem to conveniently forget this when having a dig. If we stay up it will be an incredible achievement. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

Also we had 2 weeks less to prepare due to the play offs!!

And the summer window closed 3 weeks earlier than it usually does (or will next season) August 8th instead of August 31st.

Same for all teams but we had so much more to do in that short time.

Timing and Aston Villa aren't friends.

• Like 1

At the start of the season many were very defensive when faced with suggestions that we might well struggle and could go down, you only have to recall the reactions to the cries of 'Villa are doing a Fulham' to see that, but now the narrative has changed and suddenly if we survive it will be an incredible achievement, as things stand it probably will be, but that wasn't the general outlook back in those balmy pre-season days.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, useless said:

At the start of the season many were very defensive when faced with suggestions that we might well struggle and could go down, you only have to recall the reactions to the cries of 'Villa are doing a Fulham' to see that, but now the narrative has changed and suddenly if we survive it will be an incredible achievement, as things stand it probably will be, but that wasn't the general outlook back in those balmy pre-season days.

I definitely underestimated how tough this league is now.  It was probably the Bournemouth match that changed my mind, I thought they were just a pretty passing team but they were surprisingly strong and tactically excellent.  Also the ref was utter shite and allowed Billing to get away with murder and suggested that he be subbed at half time, which showed that we weren't likely to get many decisions going our way.  It doesn't stop the Fulham comparison being a lazy one though.

52 minutes ago, useless said:

I wouldn't agree with that - I think most just wanted us to stay up by hook or by crook. 

Whilst many were saying that they'd be happy just to survive at the same time If you look at the Premier league thread and the summer transer window threads just before the start of the season most were cheerfully optimistic about our chances of staying up, there certainly was no feeling that I detected that if we survied it would be an 'incredible achievement', that sentiment seems to have only manifested itself in recent times, if we do survive I doubt football observers in general would be looking at it and thinking what an 'incredible achievement', for the most part they'd be thinking 'I should think so after spending £140m', whether that's just or not.

• Like 1

Â