Dean Smith

Demitri_C

6 minutes ago, sne said:

Swell!

I was agreeing with you :D

well apologies....but I genuinely didn't get what you was implying, good or bad.

Look, one poster said I was being too simplistic.....good, because I am.

K.I.S.S  something I have always tried to abide by.

My points is simple.......I am just miffed at giving such stupid goals away as often as we do......we could be so much of a better team if we could cease doing it.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, TRO said:

My points is simple.......I am just miffed at giving such stupid goals away as often as we do......we could be so much of a better team if we could cease doing it.

This is his biggest failure as manager so far. Teams near the bottom concede a lot, that's just football. But it's the ease at which we concede that's frustration, particularly from crosses. 

Any time we're in transition after losing the ball, or give away a corner, I just have this feeling of dread every time.

• Like 1

What do people think of Mourinho throwing Ndombele under the bus?

Not sure if he is

A. Publicly kicking him up the ass to send a message to him, and his other players. (Hoping for a positive reaction?)

B. Just being a prick

C. Running out of excuses.

How would we feel about Deano doing the same?Imagine if he came out with "the truth" after a number of our games this season.

16 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Not sure if he is

A. Publicly kicking him up the ass to send a message to him, and his other players. (Hoping for a positive reaction?)

B. Just being a prick

How would we feel about Deano doing the same?Imagine if he came out with "the truth" after a number of our games this season.

Mourinho does it all the time, not exactly a shock.

27 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Not sure if he is

B. Just being a prick

Smith did the same after Southampton didn't he? It was just more than one player apparently. Then, no one dropped out the squad. 

If we'd have spent £65m on a player that appears to not be bothered about working off the ball I'd be annoyed.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Not sure if he is

B. Just being a prick

It was a common thing years ago......but paradoxically he has stood by Dier.

However, I abhor bullying in every sense......absolutely outlawed for me, can't bare it.

But lets be clear here a bollocking or a rebuff is not bullying, tough people have to do it.....unless its done with an unhealthy regularity of course, which then smacks of bullying.

I am all for building people up, not pulling them asunder, but the odd scolding does have to happen....the message has to sink in and then the rebuild of confidence and assurity, takes over.

A manager has to set a tone and standards to work by.....if a player is not working to those standards, he has to be told and sometimes the rest of the team need to know the manager is not standing for it either, you can't solve all your problems conveniently, behind closed doors.

We don't want Managers ranting and raving, but they do need to make their mark from time to time and let EVERYONE know, they ain't having that....standards are set and its not just lips service.

Its rarely players get hooked these days, but if I saw a player not playing to my instructions, i would hook him and send the message to the team, I am not having that.

Football can be a brutal game, its a mans game,where they get paid handsomely, its not for snowflakes 

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Not sure if he is

B. Just being a prick

Always the first sign that Jose is eyeing up his massive payoff.

• Like 1

I think Smith's unwillingness to experiment with formation has meant we haven't been in games as much as we could.

The 433 is all he knows and likes, but it only works if the team is on top and willing to play, you can't sit deep/play on the counter 433, and we ended up trying because we couldn't get hold of the ball. When we were in bad form performance-wise, we were such a total shambles.

The 343 surprised Burnley and we got a good win, then never really did much beyond that in the league. I don't think Smith ever wanted to do it but had to try something after Watford away, his insistence on three up front was silly bearing in mind our lack of quality available. Now we're back to 433 against Leicester who absolutely ripped us apart playing it last time. We'll need to up it from somewhere to have success with it again, it often left in midfield and 5 up front.

A 4231, 352, 3412 would all have been worth looking at.

Personnel he was given made this season's job very difficult.

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

I think Smith's unwillingness to experiment with formation has meant we haven't been in games as much as we could.

The 433 is all he knows and likes, but it only works if the team is on top and willing to play, you can't sit deep/play on the counter 433, and we ended up trying because we couldn't get hold of the ball. When we were in bad form performance-wise, we were such a total shambles.

The 343 surprised Burnley and we got a good win, then never really did much beyond that in the league. I don't think Smith ever wanted to do it but had to try something after Watford away, his insistence on three up front was silly bearing in mind our lack of quality available. Now we're back to 433 against Leicester who absolutely ripped us apart playing it last time. We'll need to up it from somewhere to have success with it again, it often left in midfield and 5 up front.

A 4231, 352, 3412 would all have been worth looking at.

Personnel he was given made this season's job very difficult.

He experiments with formations more than it seems. To date he's played 9 different formations for us in the league. In fact, we've actually played a 4231 and 3412 under him this season.(and the xGD stat suggests 3412 might be our best formation ignoring the very small sample size). 352 would probably be an option if Smith had any faith in our central midfield, which he clearly does not.

The problem is most of these formation changes tend to come duuring the second half of a game when we're losing so we'll play under them for like, 20-30 minutes and then Dean goes back to the 4-3-3 or the 343 for the start of the next game.

I also seem to remember that we were switching things up a bit even at the start of games when we were on that terrible run prior to the Burnley game. We were switching formations, but none of them were really working. Then we started the 343 against Burnley, it worked, and we were stucked with that formation for a while after that becase of it.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

He experiments with formations more than it seems. To date he's played 9 different formations for us in the league. In fact, we've actually played a 4231 and 3412 under him this season.(and the xGD stat suggests 3412 might be our best formation ignoring the very small sample size). 352 would probably be an option if Smith had any faith in our central midfield, which he clearly does not.

I disagree. 

What game has he played 4231? 3412? Late on for the last 10 mins chasing a game?

3 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I disagree. 

What game has he played 4231? 3412? Late on for the last 10 mins chasing a game?

Yeah, probably. The stats I have don't say exactly which game he played these formations under and I'm not gonna go check all the games one by one to find out. But we've played 4231 for a total of 175 minutes this season and 3412 for a total of 52 minutes. In the league of couurse.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

56 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Yeah, probably. The stats I have don't say exactly which game he played these formations under and I'm not gonna go check all the games one by one to find out. But we've played 4231 for a total of 175 minutes this season and 3412 for a total of 52 minutes. In the league of couurse.

Fair enough. I don't think we've played 4231 at all at since first half of Swansea away last season.

21 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Not sure if he is

B. Just being a prick

Standard Mourinho. He does it at every club.

Real it was Casillas, Chelsea (second time) it was Mata, Man Utd it was Luke Shaw, now it's Ndombele.

I assume it's to stamp his authority on the squad. Not sure I agree with it though. So I'd go for A out of your options

• Like 1

This game is huge for Leicester. Utd and Chelsea coming into form can easily catch them.

This happened with Bournemouth and Southampton, who weren't in good form...they target our matches because we're a soft touch. 

They'll be all over us early, we really need something tonight.

SMith can't keep losing games and expect the owners not to swing the axe. Four consecutive games now in all competitions. disgrace

a general rule for sacking managers should be 5 defeats and/or in the relegation places.

Well Smith could be ticking both boxes by 10pm tonight. I expect the owners to fly in on a helicopter and sack him in the tunnel if we lose.

14 minutes ago, screwdriver said:

SMith can't keep losing games and expect the owners not to swing the axe. Four consecutive games now in all competitions. disgrace

a general rule for sacking managers should be 5 defeats and/or in the relegation places.

Well Smith could be ticking both boxes by 10pm tonight. I expect the owners to fly in on a helicopter and sack him in the tunnel if we lose.

I get that you're a wind up merchant, but some could consider this post just a little bit misguided considering what happened at Leicesters ground involving a helicopter.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, RichiBoi11 said:

I get that you're a wind up merchant, but some could consider this post just a little bit misguided considering what happened at Leicesters ground involving a helicopter.

I think that’s what he’s going for.

3 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

This game is huge for Leicester. Utd and Chelsea coming into form can easily catch them.

This happened with Bournemouth and Southampton, who weren't in good form...they target our matches because we're a soft touch. 

They'll be all over us early, we really need something tonight.

Hopefully they bottle it with all there fans nervous and there high expectation of beating us. We need to win this also, I know we have two games in advance, one after tonight but we need points now.

Who's got the most guts and determination to beat the other team, because it will be  agood game. Also think if we can hold them early game we might win, however that's been our problem letting in early goals.

Â