Dean Smith

Demitri_C

He’s set the bar very high with that performance and finally shown what this side is capable of. Funnily enough I don’t think the increased expectations will bother him one jot. No doubt lots of games won’t go anything like that, Blues is game is bound to be more of a war but so nice to have that positive feeling back. Really long 2 week wait now! 

6 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

I was one who was slightly pessimistic about his appointment, not that I thought he was a bad manager, just that I thought the job and club may be too big for him. Early days, but he certainly seems to be alleviating those fears. The turnaround in performances and mentality are clear to see and Smith deserves a lot of credit for that.

They always say that you learn more about the manger in the way the team bounces back from defeat. Smith having had 2 away defeats in a week, could easily have adopted his approach to be more defensive in the next away game. He did not do that. He stuck to his beliefs and mentality and has just obtained a cracking away result. Long may it continue 

Sums up my position perfectly both pre and post appointment. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

I have a less excited view of Dean Smith than some views expressed recently. I mentioned DS regularly last season as a no nonsense improvement to the rubbish we were putting up with. I don't see him as a surprise, as a suddenly ultra brilliant coach .... I see a man who's come to Villa and continued to do what he's good at.

I do see the dramatic difference between now and the last couple of seasons, and I see it as a failure on the part of the people running AVFC at the time.

Smith and a few managers like him were always available, we were just to blinkered and amateurish to see them. 

I've considering this, but I still the improvement in style has been so swift Smith deserves credit.

Many said we could have got almost anyone in and it would have improved our football from the trash Bruce was serving up week after week. We wasted so much time and money with that dinosaur.

• Like 4

I think we haven't even remotely scratched the surface with how we are going to play under Dean Smith. When he gets a few transfer windows i think we could be a serious force. I just hope Smith and Suso are singing off the same hymn sheet 're transfers. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Yep, he never should have got the job in the first place and was left in the job far too long. 

The appointment was sound IMO. It wasn't ambitious, but I wasn't dead against it. After 6 months you could see it wasn't right and he definitely should have gone summer of 2017. Did so little positive work.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I've considering this, but I still the improvement in style has been so swift Smith deserves credit.

Many said we could have got almost anyone in and it would have improved our football from the trash Bruce was serving up week after week. We wasted so much time and money with that dinosaur.

I hope I didn't give the wrong impression, I'm a huge Dean Smith fan. I was just trying to make the point that he hasn't surprised me .... it is exactly what I expected from him.

9 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

The appointment was sound IMO. It wasn't ambitious, but I wasn't dead against it. After 6 months you could see it wasn't right and he definitely should have gone summer of 2017. Did so little positive work.

Yes, I was OK with it though not overjoyed. He was worse than my lowest expectation, I expected the dour football but expected far more dull wins. 

Smith feels just right from the beginning. 

• Like 1

On 08/11/2018 at 11:25, KHV said:

There were more encouraging signs in the Swansea, Norwich and QPR games. I was surprised by how awful we were against Bolton, I don't think the Hourihane, McGinn and Grealish experiment worked at all.

Oops.....it does now.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

On 08/11/2018 at 11:25, KHV said:

There were more encouraging signs in the Swansea, Norwich and QPR games. I was surprised by how awful we were against Bolton, I don't think the Hourihane, McGinn and Grealish experiment worked at all.

Atleast it did against Derby    :thumb:

• Like 1

19 hours ago, peterms said:

I'm happy to accept it's a failure of imagination on my part, or crude stereotyping, but I have some difficulty in conceiving of a destroyer named Tammy.

Does you imagination stretch to calling him "Rammy" ? 

Â