Dean Smith

Demitri_C

3 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

In the grand scheme of things, I think us as fans, and Dean himself, will realise that, Dean Smith has cemented his place in our history.

He was there, at the right time, at the right place. We NEEDED him, at the time, it was written in the stars the more I think about it.

I cannot imagine the pain and pressure it must be, both being a fan, AND managing through crisis.

He can hold his head high, he more than did his bit, now it's time for somebody else to take on the burden, he can relax and enjoy the fruits of his labour for a while.

UTV!

spacer.png

Like many others I am really sorry to see Dean go. He deserves great credit for all he has done over the past 3 years in helping to rebuild the club and restore our pride. A top bloke who always conducted himself with class.

We have encountered a really strange set of circumstances that disrupted our start to this season.I hope this is not a panic reaction and we have "the right man lined up". Would love to see someone like Graham Potter in the frame but cant see us being able to prise him away from Brighton. I am sure that debate will continue on a different forum.

Once again, many thanks for some great memories Dean. Best wishes for the future.

Edited by Lochheads twin
typo

48 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

‪Can’t shake the sadness over this…‬
‪We’ll never have this connection again.‬
‪Dean clearly cares deeply about this club.‬
🙁

I’m the same mate. This cuts deep. 

I'm pissed with this decision , it's a mess of Purslow's making and I can't shake the feeling he will make a further mess up with his next appointment. 

Devastated to see Smith leave under these circumstances , it's disgusting. 

• Like 1

Maybe this is me being sentimental as I like Smith and genuinely think turning a 1 player support show to team was going to take a season, and he's a villa fan so bleeds claret and blue like us all.

But I can't help the feeling where it might take dean 4 years to get us where a great (mercenary) may in 2 years, but whilst they'd be gone in 5 years if lucky Dean would of been here for the 20 and had a fergie legacy. Football especially with owners without owners is very results based, but people need to realise we've gone from relagation/administration fodder to an attacking team in 2/3 years. An Argentinian and Brazilian international in the ranks who would of said that 2 years ago. I think short term eyes have blinded our longterm view on this one 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

The problem was there have just been no positives to take from recent performances. 

We've looked so disjointed.  Midfield cut adrift from games, no style, it's basically been pass it around the back till we lumped it forward hopefully, which more often than not just came straight back at us. 

Dean just didn't seem to I know what to do or how to turn it around.  He's been incredibly unfortunate with injuries but even with that we've fallen off a cliff. 

All the best Dean and thanks for the memories. I wish you could have turned it around. 

58 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Can't remove this quote from the box for some reason.

Anyway a thought.

Does anyone reckon that some senior players might have been consulted behind the scenes, by Purslow and co, and it wasn't good? 🤔

I would say it's likely. They would go straight to the captain (i.e. Mings) and maybe a couple other senior players and try to get a sense of the dressing room. They would want to know if he lost the players.

9 minutes ago, Kbdrum88 said:

Maybe this is me being sentimental as I like Smith and genuinely think turning a 1 player support show to team was going to take a season, and he's a villa fan so bleeds claret and blue like us all.

But I can't help the feeling where it might take dean 4 years to get us where a great (mercenary) may in 2 years, but whilst they'd be gone in 5 years if lucky Dean would of been here for the 20 and had a fergie legacy. Football especially with owners without owners is very results based, but people need to realise we've gone from relagation/administration fodder to an attacking team in 2/3 years. An Argentinian and Brazilian international in the ranks who would of said that 2 years ago. I think short term eyes have blinded our longterm view on this one 

It’s just modern football though isn’t it. Success has to be immediate. 3 years of constant progress is ignored because of 5 games of dreadful form( with half our team having fitness/injury problems). People start wheeling out stats on calendar year losses ignoring that we’ve spent a total of 0 weeks in the relegation zone in that time.

He over achieved massively last season and wasn’t really backed in the summer (anyone could have told you the midfield was 1 or 2 bodies light going into the season).

Smith will be the fall guy for the mess ups in coaching and playing staff recruitment since Grealish left. How much input he had on these changes would be interesting to know. I’d imagine he wasn’t the one suggesting breaking up his back room staff from a successful period but you never know I guess.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, useless said:

Smith will come into serious contention for a number of Premier League jobs if they become available, he might even end up at Norwich. There will also be a number of Championship clubs very interested.

I hope in the Championship. I don't want to go against him. That may be better for him anyway. Get some more experience then try the PL again.

19 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Waking up to seeing Jack and Deano's threads in other football in the space of 3 months, how quickly the tables turn in football :(

Honestly, I think it'll take a hell of a lot from the club to be able to recapture the feel-good factor of those two being in such prominent positions. It was lightning in a bottle. What a shame it came about at our lowest ebb. 

"Sweet Caroline" just isn't going to be the same.

• Like 2

I was just thinking that I wouldn't be surprised to see him end up at Albion, their fans seem very unhappy with their current manager and there's a gap opening up between them and the top two. He was apprently close to becoming their manager in the summer before he came to us.

1 minute ago, useless said:

I was just thinking that I wouldn't be surprised to see him end up at Albion, their fans seem very unhappy with their current manager and there's a gap opening up between them and the top two. He was apprently close to becoming their manager in the summer before he came to us.

I can't imagine their fans giving him a chance

Â