Dean Smith

Demitri_C

I'll have my say then sod off.

We would have had more points in the bank using variations of the 433 system than we currently have.
I said in the summer we needed a proper DCM and 2 full backs to either replace or seriously compete with our current first choices - This has proven correct.

I think we give him a few more games, if he reverts to 3-5-2 get rid.
If he plays 433 and performances improve greatly regardless of what the scoreline is then I would keep him.
If we replace him we need a proven manager, none of this ex pro player with a few years experience.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

He has had three years and a huge amount of money to spend, I fail to see what another two or three games is going to change.

Football is a funny game. Just 4 weeks ago we played well against Chelsea (still lost though) and beat both Everton and ManUre. We weren't thinking "Dean out" then and the squad was buzzing.

Two or three wins would change everything.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, thefeet1980 said:

Too soon to pull the trigger.  But the next three games are critical.  We not only need points, but we need to play much, much better.  Team looks devoid of ideas (horizontal passing at the back, hoofing to the wings) and low on confidence.  The nature of the Wolves defeat no doubt had an impact, but it does feel as though something isn’t right in the dressing room - not sure about the various rumours, but  there’s likely no smoke without some sort of fire.  If he’s lost the dressing room he has an absolute mountain to climb to keep hold of his job….

Is it? He’s been here 3 years and spent over £300m.

We have no style of play and this season we have regressed. These runs of poor firm are far too frequent and this current one we have shipped 12 goals and have looked worse in every game. 7 wins in 29 suggests now is the time.

• Like 3

Smith's replacement if there is to be one will be someone who's data focused or used to working in a set up where there's a big focus on data analysis, recent appointmens like Lange, Leth, McPhee, Danks, and now Trivedi, all have some sort of background in data analysis, and there's probably a good chance that so will any new coach that we might appoint. That's why I made the interesting suggestion of Ralf Rangnick, as presumably he would have been very into that whilst working with 'Red Bull'.

Will have to see how we get on against Southampton, after the game has passed.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

Football is a funny game. Just 4 weeks ago we played well against Chelsea (still lost though) and beat both Everton and ManUre. We weren't thinking "Dean out" then and the squad was buzzing.

I get this point but it isn’t just the results it’s this sudden angry disrespectful vibe around the club.

And this is a ridiculous, unjustified view, but I kind of blame the appointment of Shakespeare as yet another assistant. This seems to happen wherever he goes. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I’m not a man of faith, I believe in things I can see.

We can all see what's happening, or more importantly what's not happening. In general, football clubs are far too eager to pull the trigger. All good managers go through rough patches. This is Smiths first season where it's reasonable to expect more consistent performances and results. So far it's been below par, but not by much, all things considered, and we're still only a quarter into the season. 

Edited by vreitti

2 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Eddie bottled it or lost the players or something like that when they were in the relegation fight with us. They had safety in their hands and threw it away. That's a big red flag on his CV for me. 

Not advocating him especially.

But the calibre of manager we are in for - would suggest that every potential recruit is going to have some sort of downside. I could be wrong but I don't see us going for a top notch proven guy.

Just now, ozvillafan said:

We were poor for most the game against a weak Everton side, Bailey won the game for us. The win at Old Trafford was brilliant but I’d still say there were some big doubts.

Two or three wins wouldn’t change everything and that is pretty unrealistic.

2 minutes ago, vreitti said:

We can all see what's happening, or more importantly what's not happening. In general, football clubs are far too eager to pull the trigger. All good managers go through rough patches. This is Smiths first season where it's reasonable to expect more consistent performances and results. So far it's been below par, but not by much, all things considered, and we we're still only a quarter into the season. 

I don’t agree, it is rotten.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, useless said:

Smith's replacement if there is to be one will be someone who's data focused or used to working in a set up where there's a big focus on data analysis, recent appointmens like Lange, Leth, McPhee, Danks, and now Trivedi, all have some sort of background in data analysis, and there's probably a good chance that so will any new coach that we might appoint. That's why I made the interesting suggestion of Ralf Rangnick, as presumably he would have been very into that whilst working with 'Red Bull'.

Will have to see how we get on against Southampton, after the game has passed.

I've said elsewhere I'm wondering if there are too many fingers in the pie here.

I'm desperate for Smith to turn this around but I hear more alarm bells every week.

We start games poorly. No excuse for that as it suggests poor prep. We ship too many goals. We look disconnected. The best youth are not being brought through. Momentum is dead. We've spent a lot of money and get outplayed by teams that have spent a fraction of it too often.

I'm concerned and depressed about the situation and not sure what's best to do next.

• Like 4

I've watched both his interviews with Sky and AVFC and he says the same things: "We aren't starting games with enough energy".

It's worrying as it says to me the players aren't onboard or reacting to him the coaching team and still they make individual errors.

I think he's done unfortunately. 

For those interested, this is the Premier League 2021 Calendar Year table, so from 1st Jan 2021 to today, regardless of season, just a years worth of performance, compared.

for info, you can see total games played and total points, but i also added the average points per game in 2021, and ranked according to that average.

Effectively, our 2021 form over the 34 PL games we have played, would put us on a season totalling roughly 41/42 points.

image.png.dd8f7475ed748aab6c49c117d3aa840a.png

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

Â