Dean Smith

Demitri_C

4 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Justified comments about McGinn after other games especially last season but not today. He was very good on the ball and off the ball. Badly let down by teammates.

For perhaps the first 60, but after Luiz goes off we absolutely go to shit. And McGinn stops tracking back, trying to. Keep possession or press as a unit. So yeah I think my criticism are justified. I don't give a **** about his goals or assists when he in large part contributed to the conceding of our goals. 

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Depends if DS has the bottle to do it. He actually did it at Brentford with Ollie wide and Maupay as CF so that to me remains the obvious model and we go back to 4-3-3.

We'll see soon enough when Bailey is fully fit as he obviously has to start every week with his quality.

Absolutely.

This system might rely on Bailey being fit and we are going to press on with it until we see how we do with him in it.

The challenge will be what happens if things aren’t any better when Bailey is fully fit and playing every game.

• Like 1

Just now, jacketspuds said:

Absolutely.

This system might rely on Bailey being fit and we are going to press on with it until we see how we do with him in it.

The challenge will be what happens if things aren’t any better when Bailey is fully fit and playing every game.

I think Bailey is quality so not too concerned. Him playing more than 30 minutes a month would be excellent. 

In a way I actually think you could keep the 3-5-2 and still have Bailey and Buendia starting but 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 feels more of a better fit for that.

Ings to me has feel of Darren Bent. Good when he scores but simply dosen't do enough in games when he dosen't score.

Ollie going through a tricky run of form but manager loves him so I can't see him being benched anytime soon. Him starting the odd game out wide dosen't have to be some outrage though and think we'll see it at some point in next few weeks.

The good thing for Smith is that this result will get brushed under the carpet as Man Utd lost again, so will get all the attention from the media. This will get put down to new players needing time to gel.

My argument to that would be that the spine of the team is very much what it was last season, but sometimes they look like they’ve never played together before. We have a limited number of leaders on the pitch, and it doesn’t take much for the confidence to shatter.

To go from 2-0 up to 3-2 down in a match is bad enough, but to do it in the last 10 minutes of the match is something else.

Thankfully I get the impression that Smith won’t let this affect the players too much, otherwise this season is going to be interesting for the wrong reasons.

He’s had a habit of making odd decisions during the game since he joined tbh. His substitutions often don’t make a great deal of sense. 

Still the right man for the job for sure, but today will be a tough one for him to take. 

The Ings/Watkins thing has never worked and continues not to work. Even if we’re playing a 3-5-2, I don’t think they’re the right partnership. 

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

He’s had a habit of making odd decisions during the game since he joined tbh. His substitutions often don’t make a great deal of sense. 

Still the right man for the job for sure, but today will be a tough one for him to take. 

The Ings/Watkins thing has never worked and continues not to work. Even if we’re playing a 3-5-2, I don’t think they’re the right partnership. 

Yes you really need someone with pace and quality on the ball. The issue is Watkins has the first and Ings has the 2nd. But we aren't stretching defences because Watkins isn't really much if a threat. 

12 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Many people thought I was crazy for suggesting we would be relegated this season. I still think we will be. Performances such as that today suggests I might be correct… completely unacceptable to lose like that, shows that we are very frail and haven’t progressed at all as a team since last season. Going backwards in fact. 

At the moment, it doesn’t look so bad because 3 teams haven’t won a game yet. As soon as they put a couple of wins together it will look very bleak. 

We are far too good to go down even with Smith as manager. If we were in any danger of that happening he would be swiftly replaced as any average manager could keep this team up comfortably. 

I think if results and performances like today continue to happen he will be gone. Wolves are not great and other than Neves their only real top player is Jimenez who only came on for the last 7 minutes.

I think he's on thin ice if I'm honest. We're below where we should be. 

• Like 3

As other people have commented there was a fairly logical reason for all of the substitutions. For some reason, the main ones being that Wolves played well and we seemed to get into such a flap for the last 10 minutes it was the perfect shit storm. These things happen in football. 

I don’t think we’ve got the right formation at the moment. We’re trying to accommodate two strikers and I’m not sure three at the back works, not for every game anyway. Our weakness both last season and this is in the middle of the pitch. I think we tried to put that right last summer but we didn’t manage to sign that key midfield general that could take us up a level. We’re a decent side but we’ll have off days and cockups like today will happen. We probably need an extra body in central midfield to compensate for the lack of quality. The midfield is generally where games are won of lost  

Some of the over reactions I’ve read today, whilst no longer a surprise, make a two year old’s tantrum in a supermarket, after dropping their ice cream, seem like a balanced and reasoned response. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

How about making an actual comment on the game chap, instead of calling everyone out for dissing Smith.

He basically hovers whenever we lose and has a go at people for complaining rather than commenting on why we lost or where it went wrong.

15 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Many people thought I was crazy for suggesting we would be relegated this season. I still think we will be. Performances such as that today suggests I might be correct… completely unacceptable to lose like that, shows that we are very frail and haven’t progressed at all as a team since last season. Going backwards in fact. 

At the moment, it doesn’t look so bad because 3 teams haven’t won a game yet. As soon as they put a couple of wins together it will look very bleak. 

I'm normally the negative one but this is way over the top. 

Way too good squad to be relegated. Not a chance. 

Just now, foreveryoung said:

I wish people would stop saying net spend. we actually spent 95 million, some think to stand still. I think the board expect progress.

Progress isn't necessarily measured by a league position on a piece of paper though 

Context needs to be applied

And I still think promoting youth is more important, if we finish 11th but archer, Ramsey, chuk, PB all get good game time then that's better than finishing 10th relying on players who won't be here in 2 years time 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

So just curious, who gets the blame for the result today, the players, Dean, both or no one should get any blame at all?

Dean probably does. Although I don't feel the need to desperately blame people when we lose when things are going OK. 

It's the ridiculous comments about him losing his job that gets me. Everytime we lose a game. 

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

He basically hovers whenever we lose and has a go at people for complaining rather than commenting on why we lost or where it went wrong.

As opposed to your detailed posts of crying about the manager or the team before the game even kicks off. 

3 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I wish people would stop saying net spend. we actually spent 95 million, some think to stand still. I think the board expect progress.

They do, but I’d be happy with 11th/12th this season to consolidate. I think we’ll do very well to finish in the top half. 

Â