Dean Smith

Demitri_C

3 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Nah, disagree. We had less posession yes, but I feel like that masks how well we played against Arsenal. We only had 2 shots less than them and we were definitely close to scoring at least one more goal. Traore for example should've scored whilst Arsenal rarely actually seriously tested Martinez.

Agreed. Arsenal's MOTM was the keeper. Deano made sure we limited their chances to low quality efforts.

Wow, this thread. It's gone from the bizarre to the utterly insane. I could spend the rest of my night shift responding to someone's posts and how wrong they are about things, but I shan't. 

Talk about pundits, substitutions or whatever, Smith is doing a fantastic job and has taken this club so far. He's outperforming every single othe premier league manager in my eyes right now, and also outperforming those bloody pundits and how any of them done as a manager.

I don't listen to pundits, I don't listen to commentary. I watch the game for myself, usually in silence. I don't want to listen to Martin **** Tyler or Gary Neville or try and decipher what Jamie carragher is spitting about. Great players, undoubtedly. As were the other pundits mentioned. I think it's best we not forget, that these pundits are appealing to the masses. They dont say much, or anything, worthwhile about the game. They have to speak to the whole paying public, even those that don't fully understand the game. So, usually, they talk aload of shite.

To me, it's not a surprise they are failed managers. It doesn't mean they don't understand the game, of course they understand it - they played at the top level. But to say they have a fantastic understanding of the game because they captained a good side, I'm not sure on that. Leadership skills. Yes. Desire and drive, yes. Deep tactical knowledge and analysis skills - ha maybe not.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, TRO said:

last time.... I accept that....No I do not use Facebook or twitter....my point is this.

lets just take your average fan who goes to the game every week, season ticket an all......starts around 25 years old and ends up like me 70 at the end of the month.....I have been watching Villa all my life.....every season there is a slight change, the game itself is dynamic, its always changing, it always has, it always will.....we as discerning fans change with it......the game is different now to when i first started watching it...but for all those folk who love the game, ex players, coaches, owners, fans.....we all change with it.

The modern game is as natural for me to watch now as it was when I was watching the European cup final in Rotterdam......and David Beat Goliath on the day, for employing a similar approach to teams who are beating Liverpool now.

In my honest opinion....too much complicated drivel is spoke in some of these analytical weekly's .....buy hey!! its whatever floats your boat.

I was brought up on the Beatles, doesn't stop me liking jason Derulo or Ed Sheeran or Calvin Harris....

" Modern Football" such an enigma.....we should all take a degree in it.

we better get back to Deano, he seems a good student of it.

Didn’t have you down as a Jason Derulo fan. Don’t judge a book by its cover, eh? 😄

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Bazmonkey said:

I wouldn't say he made adjustments. I think we played better in the West ham game.

Less shots...less possession...difference was  we managed to hold on for a win...just like Southampton.

Cant play like that every week and think we will win.

We can't play like we did against West Ham every week and think we can win either.

It depends what defines " Better"

but defending well has a place to play in " Better ".....The name of the game is 3 points....if you can do it in style all the better, but that is not always possible either...because in doing so, we let teams in....its that balance is the key to improvement.

You may think we played better against West Ham, but in doing so, we allowed them to play better too.

There are some teams in this league that are deceiving, they look like a push over, but they are not.....Brighton, will be another, where we need to be on our guard against complacency, and not respecting them by playing gung ho.

I accept its great to watch, but when the ball ends up in our onion bag, its not such a great watch.

Its easy for the tide to wash away the sand, not so easy to wash away the rocks......We showed resillience and resolve against Arsenal, despite their perseverence, and yes I accept, that it could have been different on another day, every varying game can, I guess our Liverpool game will be different on another day, we can't keep expecting to do that......I thought there was some tremendous defensive perfomances in that Arsenal game and I think that should be applauded.....we still mustered a bit of stardust from Traore too, but not so much as usual as you say.

We have to learn to respect the opposition a bit more on our journey....even Emi said " We took West Ham for granted a bit" it showed to be honest....he said "we was sloppy"....his words not mine.

I though the turnaround in approach from Dean was tremendous.

Mark my words.....Brighton on Saturday will be tough....they are harder to beat than their league position, suggests.

we have to be sure what "Better" really means.

Edited by TRO
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Tommo_b said:

Haha bit harsh. 

I don't suppose Jamie knows the game either, to some....despite showing plausible explanations of why events happen, when they do during games.

The rationale is laid out on a plate....and still folk baulk at the reasoning.

maybe some bod who has never played the game, is more suited to them, one who draws diagonal lines on a pitch for a living and baffles folk with science.

This game is simple....why do they try to MAKE it complicated.

Edited by TRO

17 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

A place in all of our hearts due to his swashbuckling style of play and his amazing sense of honour letting us score as  he felt the injustice of the moment 

Folly, I am not having a pop at Marcelo, he is clearly a good egg.....but this "Dinosaur" mentality is futile, when someone has been around the game a while...thats all they gets rolled out.

We had a guy Jo Venglos who was a revolutionary, too. and despite me having the greatest respect for his knowledge, where did it get us?.....bless his soul.

What do we do, go to all the over 60's at Villa Park and tell them the game has gone past them and they haven't a clue of the modern game.

what is this mystifying concept " the Modern game" ....its just an evolutionary version of the old game.....with more money and stats around it and academic input of folk who have never kicked a ball.

Edited by TRO

13 hours ago, Mjvilla said:

To me, it's not a surprise they are failed managers. It doesn't mean they don't understand the game, of course they understand it - they played at the top level. But to say they have a fantastic understanding of the game because they captained a good side, I'm not sure on that. Leadership skills. Yes. Desire and drive, yes. Deep tactical knowledge and analysis skills - ha maybe not.

I think people fail to realise that 'the top' is often filled with people who shouldn't be there anymore.

I'm sure any of us can think of a manager in a place of their work that's been there for 15/20 years, gone through the ranks, saw it all, did some interesting things back in 2007 but shouldn't be there anymore because they are so far detached from what is important right now. The 'I know best' syndrome. 

Just because you were at the top and just because you achieved it through hard work (but often some luck and a team around you) it doesn't mean you are the most qualified person to be running the show now. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sparrow1988 said:

Didn’t have you down as a Jason Derulo fan. Don’t judge a book by its cover, eh? 😄

I am fond of quite a few modern Artists.....I can go from Muddy Waters way back when..........to Dua Lipa and Lewis Capaldi.😀

• Like 1

12 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I have spent the evening watching extended highlights of games from 80/81. The similarities are remarkable. 

Great days - I was at all of those games - Pods/burgundy hair/ bubble jackets.....great days..

• Like 2

12 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I have spent the evening watching extended highlights of games from 80/81. The similarities are remarkable. 

Dave, I totally agree.....I enjoyed watching them back.

I have detected similarities in many things despite the game being different in many ways now.

I have  a sneaky suspicion some things Ron did, Dean is doing too.....like the age profile, all the players have a bonding.

43 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

He says something that I've read in athletic article written about our improvements and heard other pundits say, when he talks about how little changes to the team we've been forced to make. 

It seems a lot of neutral observers see it as a positive, that we've been able to play most of the same players so far. Yet this is actually viewed as a negative by some on here. 

Edited by DCJonah
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, nick76 said:

Not in my heart.  It’s foolish football, I love football that is good at both end of the pitch not football that me and my mates played when we were eight years old and all chased the ball and all wanted to attack and not defend.  

I may be in the minority but I love a rock solid defence and then a quality mixed attack.  I think the football Villa play this season is far far better than what Leeds play.  I would think that whether it was Villa or any team.

Leeds only focus on half of the job of football.

Still very thankful to him though in fixing the injustice though.

He only fixed it because Dean told him to. 

17 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Thanks Doug. Proper tackling, proper shorts, proper hair cuts, proper football. Just proper!!

• Like 2

Â