Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Its funny how we all see things.....Graeme Souness shrugs when tactics are mentioned....i think ,he thinks they are over played.

Put it this way. When a manager is recruited I bet the use of Substitutions is never a contributing factor.  I wonder if managers put it on their cv. 

Anyway If use of subs is the main fault people can find with Smith at the moment it means he’s continuing to do a great job. So it’s all good. 

• Like 2

I can't wait to see where Dean can take us. He's shown the ability to learn in the past, he has fostered an amazing team spirit, and the style of football (aided heavily by the quality of players we have) is a joy to watch.

If he can keep us on this trajectory, and our owners continue to back him with the money to add depth in the summer,  I've every confidence he'll have us in the European places next year. If he can do it this year too, he's overseen the most phenomenal turnaround of a club since Leicester's shock league win. Sky is the limit.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

I'm never sure who to believe on this subject. Graeme Souness and Tim Sherwood, or Jose Mourinho and Pep Guardiola.

I think they see the play from a individual player perspective. Like when they played the game. Too many pundits have this individualism mentality. Would like to see more ex-coaches speak about the game as pundits. Although, I think a fair few managers carry this belief from playing into management too, they mostly don’t succeed though. I suppose the point is to build upon the solid foundation of desire and attitude. An appreciation of the tactical picture is pretty useless without that foundation. Although this seems a pretty basic minimum for a professional athlete.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TRO said:

Its funny how we all see things.....Graeme Souness shrugs when tactics are mentioned....i think ,he thinks they are over played.

Graeme Souness single handedly destroyed a global football dynasty when he took over Liverpool in the eighties. He's a **** car crash when it comes to managing football teams. His only "success" was with Rangers where he could put out the under 16's and beat most of the league.

He hasn't got a clue.

• Like 3

This is a Dean Smith thread, he's an incredible manager, the best we've had in decades, but surely everything is up for discussion?

Not sure why people get so upset about mentions of substitutes (agreed it can get repetitive).

I think in the context of having to play a ludicrous number of games with a Covid hit squad, that people worrying about sharpness and fatigue, squad rotation and substitutions is fair enough really.

For me personally I believe some of our squad players genuinely deserve more game time to help counter the above and mainly because so many seem to have very quickly written them off and branded not good enough for various reasons that I don't agree with. Nakamba for instance has had two good games recently but people would rather call him a squad player who will still be sold in the summer than a player who can continue to improve along with everyone else starting this season.

And because some of the undroppable players have struggled for form and consistency, after all we may not have the level of squad Dean wants but he still has to (occasionally) use what we have (mainly because they aren't as bad as many make out).

But as plenty have said, Dean sees the players train every day, so he is best placed to decide when a player needs resting and when a player needs to be taken off (or on). But we can still speculate and armchair manage as that is what fans of all clubs do, no one believes they are better than the manager (i hope).

Also he's not going to come onto this forum and read any negative comments about his management lack of substitutions and rotation and then leave the country in a raging funk.

Edited by VillanousOne
  • Thanks 1

Graeme's Souness, single handedly destroyed the once mythical, boot - room legacy at Liverpool. Although, we shall be for ever grateful for the wonderful left foot of Steve Staunton and Ray Houghton and, lest I forget, the great Dean Saunders. 

Edited by sheepyvillian

3 hours ago, MrBlack said:

I can't wait to see where Dean can take us. He's shown the ability to learn in the past, he has fostered an amazing team spirit, and the style of football (aided heavily by the quality of players we have) is a joy to watch.

If he can keep us on this trajectory, and our owners continue to back him with the money to add depth in the summer,  I've every confidence he'll have us in the European places next year. If he can do it this year too, he's overseen the most phenomenal turnaround of a club since Leicester's shock league win. Sky is the limit.

This is bang on. Dean is learning, you have to remember that. He got us out of the championship, but he'd never managed in the prem before. First go, he signed a lot of players but none of them really prem-ready, and it was nearly a disaster. This time, and importantly with the backing of the owners, he signed first team standard players at bottom end first team player prices. Kept Jack. And he's done very well with it. What's more, we're starting to see that some of his signings last time did have merit, and we're just starting to see it. Right now, Nakamba over Luiz. Hourihane; even if he doesn't end up playing for us, good business anyway.

He's learning I tell you. Stick with it. Win or lose against Burnley, we're in for quite a ride. And we haven't even seen Morgan play yet.

10 hours ago, jimmygreaves said:

Graeme Souness single handedly destroyed a global football dynasty when he took over Liverpool in the eighties. He's a **** car crash when it comes to managing football teams. His only "success" was with Rangers where he could put out the under 16's and beat most of the league.

He hasn't got a clue.

If you're looking for a man to bring an oversized flag of your club out on to your most hated rivals pitch and plant in the centre circle then Souness is your man. If you're looking for someone to manage your football team then you're better off with someone else.

• Haha 4

11 hours ago, jimmygreaves said:

He hasn't got a clue.

He also doesn’t wear a gilet. Everyone knows that is the source of all tactics.

1 hour ago, sparrow1988 said:

If you're looking for a man to bring an oversized flag of your club out on to your most hated rivals pitch and plant in the centre circle then Souness is your man. If you're looking for someone to manage your football team then you're better off with someone else.

That was a funny Moment to be fair 😂

34 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Please pray that’s on youtube. I’m off there now. See you in a bit.

Yep, it’s there. Amongst the funniest bits of the documentary vid I just saw was the autogenerated subtitles which referred to Galatasaray as ‘Gamma Representative for Wellingborough’. Which I will also now do for the rest of my life.

Guess YouTube has taken sides there. 

I may see what it has to say about a small team based in the Small Heath area🤞🤞🤞

Edited by HKP90
Edit: it was funnier before it was censored.
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, TRO said:

Graeme Souness was unsurprisingly a shit manager

7 hours ago, sparrow1988 said:

This comment made me rewatch that incident on YouTube. I subsequently fell down the rabbit hole. Watched the Copa90 Derby day series Galatasaray Fenerbahce. Then Boca/River (Copa Libertadores final 18’) and finally Pompey/Saints. Those Derby day pieces are really really good (for anyone interested). More like ethnographic studies seen through the prism of football. A day off really well spent..... Anyway Dean Smith is bang on, loving our story.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

😂😂 he was lucky to leave the stadium alive 

Haha yeah, said he got a smack in the tunnel, as one of the fans had breached that big poly tunnel thing. I suspect his arse dropped as soon as he planted it.

Â