Dean Smith

Demitri_C

7 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

What’s wrong with their attitudes?! Poor Bolasie has barely played! 

Ok maybe a bit harsh on Bolasie if he isn’t fit. He seemed to be strolling yesterday.

Kodija has no desire to track back and help the team when we’re under the kosh. He nearly cost us a goal he got caught out in his own box. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

He made an Instant impact yesterday. We had shape, balance, and we looked more organised. The team selection shows that the bloke actually knows what he’s doing. At first I was a bit miffed by it, but that’s why I’m not a manager and he is. The team selection was thought out well imo. He knows that there is work to do, it was obvious, but I thought it was a good start for him and the team. 

• Like 3

Considering a host if players were on international duty also and so little time he had with them that was a great result. 

Another tough game at Norwich where bruce struggled badly.  Be interesting to see how we do against better opposition.

9 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Having not watched the game, and only going on what is being written about, is it reasonable to assume that Smith’s first game was our best performance of the season so far (not much to choose from admittedly)?

Is there a game from the past season or two which was similar just so I have a vague idea on how decent the performance was?

Here's a comment from one of the Villa Facebook groups:

We was not amazing today.
Agreed.

But why did a fan around me insist on complaining about us passing it around the back as well as call Jack Grealish useless & say he have a shit a game (maybe he did but that mucb shitter than everyone else?)

Did others think this?
If so why? What did you see that warranted this? 

THIS IS NOT A WITCH HUNT by the way.
I just wanted to know why. Maybe it was something I missed & this opinion is justified. I would rather learn than outirght say this person of this opinion is **** dumb clearing in the woods.

Up the **** villa

We clearly have a way to go. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

are there any vids of the full post match press conference?, i dont seem to be able to find one anywhere, even on the villa site?

Full transcript on the Birmingham Mail site, I’m on my phone otherwise would have posted it.

10 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Having not watched the game, and only going on what is being written about, is it reasonable to assume that Smith’s first game was our best performance of the season so far (not much to choose from admittedly)?

Is there a game from the past season or two which was similar just so I have a vague idea on how decent the performance was?

No it was not our best performance of the season. We did see things that we didn’t see under Bruce though, and this was only his first game after very limited time with the players. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Full transcript on the Birmingham Mail site, I’m on my phone otherwise would have posted it.

thanks, will take a look, was hoping there was a vid up, seems weird as the swansea official site already has highlights and post match conference with potter up......what is the AVFC site up to!

2 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

thanks, will take a look, was hoping there was a vid up, seems weird as the swansea official site already has highlights and post match conference with potter up......what is the AVFC site up to!

There will be videos but they will be clips, you won’t get the full thing I wouldn’t think other than the transcript.

5 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

It was great seeing us try to add to our lead instead of trying to defend it. Even late on, we still pushed on , which was so refreshing to see. 

Yep. Attacking subs when were were 1-0 up near the end. Bruce would have brought defenders on. 

4 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Yep. Attacking subs when were were 1-0 up near the end. Bruce would have brought defenders on. 

Thought exactly that when it happened. We need to show more confidence and I think smith will give us that. 

There are a couple of right plonkers that sit behind me in K7 that moan about everything, yesterday it was mistakes when trying to pass it out of defence rather than just lumping it forward, i think this is an important thing that a lot of fans need to have patience with. 

An attacking, possession based game is something we have all craved. That isn't going to happen overnight and it will probably take even longer if we get on the players back every time they misplace a pass. If we are passing it more, we also have to acknowledge that we might also give it away more. I'd still rather lose possession trying to be positive rather than a hopeful punt upfield. 

Just now, av1 said:

There are a couple of right plonkers that sit behind me in K7 that moan about everything, yesterday it was mistakes when trying to pass it out of defence rather than just lumping it forward, i think this is an important thing that a lot of fans need to have patience with. 

An attacking, possession based game is something we have all craved. That isn't going to happen overnight and it will probably take even longer if we get on the players back every time they misplace a pass. If we are passing it more, we also have to acknowledge that we might also give it away more. I'd still rather lose possession trying to be positive rather than a hopeful punt upfield. 

Same, the same people who under Bruce would watch cross after cross after cross after cross be headed out comfortably out by the opposition but when we try and string 3 passes around the edge of the box to work a chance scream......................

"GET THE BALL IN THE BOX!!"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I think some fans get nervous and anxious and say things they don't really mean. Some fans are just clearings in the woods. Personally, I've waited ages to see Villa play purposeful, attractive possession-based football and I don't care how long it takes to get it right as long as we're on the way, and that we are by the looks of it.

Yesterday wasn't perfect. Who really thought it would be after 2 days training? There will be days it doesn't work out and his methods will be scrutinised. But as long as we stick to the plan and have patience good things will happen.

• Like 2

It's so refreshing to have a manager that actually knows about tactics, you can tell he like high energy press because when he talks about overloading and setting traps to win the ball back, very early on but also really encouraging signs, we will only get better the longer he has, the future is bright ?

Â