Anwar El Ghazi

Villan4Life

1 hour ago, omariqy said:

Well he got 4 assists last season and is also our quickest player so not sure what games you've been watching

Trezeguet is our quickest player apparently - the figures say he is quicker than Adama Traore!?  I'm not sure that this is with the ball at his feet!! I haven't seen any of our wide players run away from full backs this season other than Jack. 

And no assists this year!  He is always looking to get a shot away now - to the point where it is very predictable. Most defenders are now aware of this ... Everton's did not appear particularly on the ball to me on most things on Saturday night.  Clearly, he can strike a ball very well - like Hourihane as I said - but I don't think he brings enough else.  I would like to see him moved on in the summer but I do think that his strike rate will mean we get value for him.  I think he would be much better suited to a more technical, less physical European League. 

52 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Seems to have regressed in this regard this season. Last season he was crossing a lot more, ironically when we had worse finishers playing up front. This season with Ollie up front and he's shooting way more than he crosses.

He has put in a lot of good crosses. But it seems like our players are more hesitant to go for it. Twice traore would have had an easy chance on his right foot but cut it back to either try to pass to watkins (that failed) and shoot on his left that was blocked by luke shaw. I remember a couple where he has played it just in front of a couple of our players who didn't react to the cross. I think he should have multiple assists this season and is very unlucky to not have them.

Maybe it is due to not being on the same wavelength or whatever but he has created a number of good chances whether that is through his own crossing or by driving at a defender and laying it off on the overlap to targett. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

Trezeguet is our quickest player apparently - the figures say he is quicker than Adama Traore!?  I'm not sure that this is with the ball at his feet!! I haven't seen any of our wide players run away from full backs this season other than Jack. 

And no assists this year!  He is always looking to get a shot away now - to the point where it is very predictable. Most defenders are now aware of this ... Everton's did not appear particularly on the ball to me on most things on Saturday night.  Clearly, he can strike a ball very well - like Hourihane as I said - but I don't think he brings enough else.  I would like to see him moved on in the summer but I do think that his strike rate will mean we get value for him.  I think he would be much better suited to a more technical, less physical European League. 

Those stats are very misleading. Before restart Engles was the 3rd fastest player in the league and soyuncu was first. Max speed directly correlates with length of sprint and centre backs sprint further often because they have to get back from corners whereas wingers have to check themselves to stay onside. 

Trezs max sprint was likely a result of chasing a full back or someone with the ball.

He has played a lot of good crosses that season that have been squandered due to hesitant play mostly by traore but still. Also I imagine he is being asked to shoot more otherwise Smith would have had a word with him and mcginn for shooting every time the opportunity arises even when it is an ill advised shot. 

20 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

Except last season he created our 4th most big chances behind only Grealish, Hourihane and Targett. 

What are the actual numbers here? I tried to find them, but no luck.

My guess is most of our big chances were created by Grealish, and then it's slim pickings after that. The fact AEG was behind Hourihane and Targett kind of proves my point doesn't it? He's not a big creator at this level. Not saying he can't whip in a cross, but it's rare you see him turn a fullback inside out.

(Edit: and just to pre-empt the Anwar fanboys, yes I do rate him as a player. He has strengths and weaknesses like any player. His goalscoring this season has been brilliant.)

Edited by KentVillan
  • Like 1

On 04/05/2021 at 17:14, Keyblade said:

Not sure what more you could want from a backup winger honestly. Scoring a goal every other game essentially and winning the team points, for a fee of what was it 5m? We'd be lauding Leicester's recruitment if they did that kind of business.

Its a fair point ,that.

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

My guess is most of our big chances were created by Grealish, and then it's slim pickings after that. The fact AEG was behind Hourihane and Targett kind of proves my point doesn't it? He's not a big creator at this level. Not saying he can't whip in a cross, but it's rare you see him turn a fullback inside out.

(Edit: and just to pre-empt the Anwar fanboys, yes I do rate him as a player. He has strengths and weaknesses like any player. His goalscoring this season has been brilliant.)

Consistency, is his enemy....and he loses the ball in possession too easily...but he does have some redeeming features and striking the ball, is one of them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Probably got them from here.

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/big_chance_created

Grealish, Hourihane and Targett are level at 8 with el Ghazi next at 4.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TRO said:

Anwar El Ghazi is typical of a player who has magical moments, but lacks any kind of consistency.

its easy to fall in to the trap of discarding him, only to sign another one, with similar traits.

As we are gradually improving, trying to find players with consistency and the guile  to cause problems for the opposition, is progessively more difficult.

If we are to move these players on, we have to be sure, we are signing better....that is key.

Occasionally find myself disagreeing with your posts mate, but you are absolutely spot on in what you've said here

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TRO said:

Anwar El Ghazi is typical of a player who has magical moments, but lacks any kind of consistency.

its easy to fall in to the trap of discarding him, only to sign another one, with similar traits.

As we are gradually improving, trying to find players with consistency and the guile  to cause problems for the opposition, is progessively more difficult.

If we are to move these players on, we have to be sure, we are signing better....that is key.

Spot on. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, TRO said:

this is spot on. I think we can all agree that if the owners are serious, we will need better quality than Ghazi. But he is definitely good enough to be our bench option for the next year or two. 

In comparison, Everton spent up to 34 mil on Iwobi (4x as much as Ghazi) and he has 1 goal this season

• Like 2

14 hours ago, TRO said:

So what you're saying is that we should buy better players than the ones we sell?

• Haha 1

Â