Pre-match Thread

alreadyexists

4 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Now I'm confused - play Hourihane on the right wing?

I see Grealish and McGinn in the middle in this sort of formation:

----------------------Keeper-----------------------

RB----------CB---------------- CB----------LB   

------------------------DM-------------------------

------------McGinn----Grealish-------------

RW--------------------------------------------LW

--------------------------CF------------------------

I can't see a starting position for Hourihane in that formation.

More like this..

----------------------Keeper-----------------------

RB----------CB---------------- CB----------LB   

------------------------DM-------------------------

McGinn     Grealish      Hourihane

Green

--------------------------CF------------------------

With 2 fast full backs to get up and down the wing.  RDL and Elmo or new left back?

Edited by Nigel

Three wins from our first three league games for the first time since Joe Mercer's minors did it 56 years ago and 8 points better off than we were at the same stage last season? Oh go on then. Any win would be nice and another 4-0 one would be even better. :)

• Like 1

On 11/08/2018 at 21:00, alreadyexists said:

Nyland

RDL     Tuanzebe     Chester      Hutton

Elmo    Hourihane    McGinn   Green

Grealish

Kodjia

Think this is more likely, though I can imagine Bruce putting in Whelan/Jedinak/Bjarnson for Hourihane. I suspect as away he will play Whelan or Jedinak. Just praying for Tuanzebe to play CB rather than Jedinak. 

Need to win and keep momentum going. It was these sorts of games that cost us last season. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I can see that working with two up top - but I think Green would be in Grealish's way. Maybe the same but with RHM in for Green?

Yep maybe, Id say you could alter that role depending on the game, more midfield role against better opposition and a support striker against the must wins.

OK we don't have such a good record with this week's referee.

Mr. Tim Robinson.

Four of our games last season he took control of and he somehow managed to be in charge for 3 of our 11 league defeats.

He was there in week 2 when Cardiff battered us 3-0 abroad.
He was there in week 35 when QPR turned up and bafflingly turned us over 3-1.
He was there on the final day in the Den when Millwall won 1-0.
The one victory he oversaw was the week 9 Sky match at home to Forest when Adomah & Hourihane gave us a 2-1 win.

So for whatever reason, we have something of a bogey ref to overcome this weekend.

He will be no doubt ably assisted by Ian Cooper, Adrian Waters & fourth official Gavin Ward

• Like 1

Great chance here to start the season with 3 from 3. If we get a performance here and a convincing win ill feel very confident going into the Brentford game which will be a big step up that we need to be ready for.

I think we'll get the win. Grealish and McGinn should have too much quality in that midfield and hopefully the rest of the team will raise their levels too. If im trying not to blame Bruce and the coaching going on at BMH; then maybe the exodus of key players snd big personalities along with all the uncertainty in the summer can be levelled at the teams' performances so far; but we've got away with it with the best possible outcome points-wise. Praying things will click now, starting Saturday in what is a big opportunity to show the league we want to do something this season.

0-2 (Kodjia, McGinn)

We've got enough quality on the pitch to get promoted in my opinion.

3 points here and an improvement on our first three performances would be ideal but also necessary.

Sometimes you have to win-ugly as they say, we certainly did that against Hull and Yeovil, so best not add another game where we ride our luck, or worse, drop points.

9 hours ago, BOF said:

OK we don't have such a good record with this week's referee.

Mr. Tim Robinson.

Four of our games last season he took control of and he somehow managed to be in charge for 3 of our 11 league defeats.

He was there in week 2 when Cardiff battered us 3-0 abroad.
He was there in week 35 when QPR turned up and bafflingly turned us over 3-1.
He was there on the final day in the Den when Millwall won 1-0.
The one victory he oversaw was the week 9 Sky match at home to Forest when Adomah & Hourihane gave us a 2-1 win.

So for whatever reason, we have something of a bogey ref to overcome this weekend.

He will be no doubt ably assisted by Ian Cooper, Adrian Waters & fourth official Gavin Ward

Was there any aspect of his refereeing that makes him a bogey referee for us?

Or was he simply just overseeing a few defeats? That's not overly condemning in my view, but maybe I lack insight.

After our 4-0 win there only a few months ago, on one hand they might be a bit wary of us but on the other hand I'm a bit worried because they'll be out for revenge! :s

Edited by robby b

Got a good feeling about this one. I think Kodija is going to have a good game: 3-1 the Villa; Daddy Kodj X2 and McGinn on the score-sheet, consolation for them from Kayden Jackson. Jack to get hacked every other touch with a yellow card for the opposition 84 min.

Selection for this is a difficult one; contrary to popular opinion I thought Tuesdays performance was steady, if not uninspiring for the first 3/4's of the game. However, unsurprisingly,  when two of our best players, Jack and Kodj, were subbed on added more energy, impetus and penetration, I felt there was only going to be one winner from then on.  So:

4-3-3, although I can see the cogs in Bruce's head begin to turn outputting " 3 at the back" - Chester, Jed, Axe

GK: Nyland, think he edges it despite his nervy debut, all he showed was that he could pick the ball up out the net, get Jed'ed and distribution was frustrating. I think Moriera showed promise, all considering; his distribution, more often than not, was spot on and he made some vital yet unothodox saves. 

LB: Hutton; Neil Taylor is OK but I was expecting  much more, no room for passengers

CB: Chester (C), another 8 out of 10 vs Wigan for me

CB: Axel, think he looked assured at Yeovil and deserves a chance; time to develop + he's not a right back. Could see Bruce sticking Jed here though

RB: Elmo; Offers a very good delivery, and is robust is his defending although lightweight at times. Could see the benefit of De Laet LB and Hutton RB

DM: Jed; if Axel plays CB and not Jed. although I would like to see Bjarnason for his energy. or could Bruce be bold with Conor H.

CM: Grealish; Standard

CM: McGinn; See above

LW: Green; No other choice really; has glimpses, there is massive potential but yet to unlock it and impose himself on games, a bit like Jack a few seasons ago

CF: Kodj; Showed a bit of fire Tuesday, long may it continue. Still more of inside forward, could potentially swap with green; however does andre have the skillset to play as CF in our system and would Kodjia be diligent in defense

RW: Albert; Meh! Don't think Bruce is easy could easily see Elmo starting here

So in conclusion, anyone could play ?

Edited by GENTLEMAN
  • Like 2