Pre-match Thread

alreadyexists

They lost 1-0 to Rotherham today, so hopefully we should have too much for them. Drew 2-2 with Blackburn on the opening day... fingers crossed we should pick up all three points.

We might have strengthened with a couple of loans by next weekend too. I would go:

Nyland

RDL     Tuanzebe     Chester      Hutton

Elmo    Hourihane    McGinn   Green

Grealish

Kodjia

I don’t ever want to see Jedinak at CB ever again! He’s an excellent DM, but a terrible CB.

• Like 1

Ex-Villan Janoi Donacien has started the first two games of the season for them. One at CB and one at RB.

Looking at their squad there isn't too much to be afraid of that I can see so hopefully we can continue picking up points.

• Like 1

The last time Villa won their first three league matches was the 1962-63 season. West Ham (h) 3-1, Spurs (h) 2-1, Man City (a) 2-0.

I would have taken 7 points from the first three games, so I wouldn’t be too downbeat with a point. But I hope to be wondering when Villa last won their opening four league matches after Saturday’s game.

• Like 3

Ipswich apparently only made 3 changes for their cup match yesterday which went to penalties and lost agains Exeter. So we will have a slightly more rested squad. (If a squad could be tired so early in the season already).

54 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I'd go

----------nyland---------

elmo-----chester-----tuanzebe---hutton

----mcginn----hourihane---bjarnaldo---green

-------------grealish----------

-----kodj-------

Yep, if the choice is between having RDL at RB with Elmo further forward, or having Barney in the side with Elmo at RB then I'll go with the latter.  You still get Elmo's crosses but you get the added threat of Barney's good positioning.  And it definitely seems the general consensus is Tuanzebe has played his way into the centre.

Ipswich are one of my favourites for the drop this season, but as Yeovil showed last night, you can take no-one for granted.  Apply ourselves properly and be a bit more focussed at the back and fingers crossed we won't need to score 3 this time (although I hope we still do :P )

1 hour ago, BOF said:

Yep, if the choice is between having RDL at RB with Elmo further forward, or having Barney in the side with Elmo at RB then I'll go with the latter.  You still get Elmo's crosses but you get the added threat of Barney's good positioning.  And it definitely seems the general consensus is Tuanzebe has played his way into the centre.

Ipswich are one of my favourites for the drop this season, but as Yeovil showed last night, you can take no-one for granted.  Apply ourselves properly and be a bit more focussed at the back and fingers crossed we won't need to score 3 this time (although I hope we still do :P )

Yeah for sure. I do think the team took Yeovil for granted so hopefully that complacency wont occur against Ipswich. It won't be easy but if we play well we should have enough for ipswich. We are scoring goals which is good but defensively a mess.

We are playing some rather poor side luckily as had it been stoke or Leeds we would be punished more. Sort it out bruce

I'm scare jedinak will be at cb again as he never played yesterday.

16 minutes ago, striker said:

With Chester coming back in then I’m in no doubt the back four will be more focused.

0-3 away win.

I was on about the league defence being more focussed than they have been.  Chester has been in both league sides so far and they've gone behind.  The cup side were a B team so that's more a quality issue.  If the (league) defence can iron out their early season stutters then it'll ease the pressure currently on our strike force.  Although in their defence (har har), it's the defenders who have done all of our scoring too, bar the defensive mid getting a goal.

1 minute ago, PieFacE said:

For me, the team needs to be...

Nyland

Elmo -  Axel - Chester - Hutton

McGinn  -  Hourihane

Adomah      Grealish        Green

Kodja 

Not too far off mine.

However Adomah does not get in the 1st 11 for me.  Id play a holding cm and allow Mcginn and Hourihane to get further forward.

Id also play rdl at left back as i think hes the better player.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nigel said:

Not too far off mine.

However Adomah does not get in the 1st 11 for me.  Id play a holding cm and allow Mcginn and Hourihane to get further forward.

Id also play rdl at left back as i think hes the better player.

I was thinking about not including Adomah, but we're so short on wingers I really didn't see an alternative.

A new winger is a must this window.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Nyland

McGinn  -  Hourihane

Kodja 

Yep, I’d be pleased if this side turned out on Saturday :) 

3 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Nyland

McGinn  -  Hourihane

Kodja 

this looks fine to me. cannot wait for the weekend. I think we'll topple them and see a cohesive win. would be nice to see a more composed defense this time around as well and a clean sheet.

I don't think we'll see a three with McGinn, Hourihane and Grealish - Bruce prefers one in front of the back four with two in front - McGinn and Grealish will be the two in the middle and I think we'll get either Bjarnason, Whelan or Jedinak as the holding player.

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I don't think we'll see a three with McGinn, Hourihane and Grealish - Bruce prefers one in front of the back four with two in front - McGinn and Grealish will be the two in the middle and I think we'll get either Bjarnason, Whelan or Jedinak as the holding player.

I think this is the way we should do it. It will allow that midfield more scope to go forwards.  

No adomah please, play Hourihane centrally instead.

39 minutes ago, Nigel said:

I think this is the way we should do it. It will allow that midfield more scope to go forwards.  

No adomah please, play Hourihane centrally instead.

Now I'm confused - play Hourihane on the right wing?

I see Grealish and McGinn in the middle in this sort of formation:

----------------------Keeper-----------------------

RB----------CB---------------- CB----------LB   

------------------------DM-------------------------

------------McGinn----Grealish-------------

RW--------------------------------------------LW

--------------------------CF------------------------

I can't see a starting position for Hourihane in that formation.