John McGinn

PompeyVillan

Just now, MaVilla said:

i know many wont like this, but i dont think he is good enough to be in the starting 11, if we want to go for top 6/8.

He's a good player, but he has some glaring weaknesses imo.

Yep, I can dig that, we all love him and he is a bloody good mid table player but we are going places and sentiment shouldn't come in to it. If a better player is available we should do it. That said, SG likes him and SJM might not be the best version of himself yet, he's got a bloody good teacher there now though.

• Like 1

He was in completely the wrong position for 90% of the game. He was playing in the DM role with Luiz in front of him. Why I'm not sure, Luiz is pretty awful in both positions but to nullify attackong McGinn seems a bad tactical decision.

He wasn't great tonight but most of that was down to where he was playing.

1 hour ago, jackbauer24 said:

He wasn't great tonight but most of that was down to where he was playing.

Most of where he was playing was down to his unwillingness or inability to run.

He's a shadow of the player he was two years ago and he was worryingly bad tonight.

A passenger.

• Like 1

When was the last time he was man of the match, our best player, or even had 2 good halves? I don't recall.

The guy, however lovable, is bang average at best. He's slow, aimless, gets ran by time after time, misses tackles, misses runners, tracks back at 1mph, runs like a gorilla in treacle.

Time to move on.

26 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Hope he enjoyed his trip to Dubai.

I’m sure he did. He also trained every day he was there at an elite training complex, his own “warm weather training break” per se.

McGinn had an off day today, he’s class and we know it.

• Like 1

He run his socks off, again. That headed clearance late in the game was everything you want in a player at that stage in the game. He bust the proverbial gut to make sure he was first to that ball. That attitude alone guarantees his name being one of the first on the teamsheet. 

I love McGinniestia. 

1 hour ago, sheepyvillian said:

He run his socks off, again. That headed clearance late in the game was everything you want in a player at that stage in the game. He bust the proverbial gut to make sure he was first to that ball. That attitude alone guarantees his name being one of the first on the teamsheet. 

I love McGinniestia. 

He absolutely didn't. You wouldn't have known he was on the pitch most the game. He does nothing. He brings nothing most the time. With the ball absolutely 100% invisible. Not an option. Not in space and damn well sure wasn't running to show for the ball.

But he blocked some 50/50s out for throw-ins so he's a swashbuckling all action midfielder.

2 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

He put a shift in last night won a few duels and started a few attacks when switching play, wasn’t spectacular going forward but had to play a more disciplined role.

Did you find those posts of me bagging Ramsey last season that I don't recall posting? 

18 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

He absolutely didn't. You wouldn't have known he was on the pitch most the game. He does nothing. He brings nothing most the time. With the ball absolutely 100% invisible. Not an option. Not in space and damn well sure wasn't running to show for the ball.

But he blocked some 50/50s out for throw-ins so he's a swashbuckling all action midfielder.

I think the way the game was set up our whole midfield were pretty absent. Leeds committed so many men forwards.

4 minutes ago, Rolta said:

I think the way the game was set up our whole midfield were pretty absent. Leeds committed so many men forwards.

It was a lot to do with where the action was happening tbf - they were playing it wide time and again and getting through regularly. 

McGinn isn't the most mobile player, so was struggling a lot in that respect but while some others have criticised his performance, I don't think he was that bad or as bad as he has been in some other games this season because he positioned himself well to stop attacks on quite a few occasions (mostly with blocks). 

4 minutes ago, lexicon said:

It was a lot to do with where the action was happening tbf - they were playing it wide time and again and getting through regularly. 

Common sense post. I've seen people on FB saying Leeds bypassed midfield and if we had DM would've been different game. Hilarious. 

Was carbon copy of the 3-0 last time at VP. That's on Gerrard and coaching staff failing to have plan to counter or maybe plan was working with 3 goals in first half but Konsa had complete mare

P.S. thinking about it today was probably a day for formation change and packing midfield definitely after going 2 ahead

Edited by Kiwivillan

Just now, Kiwivillan said:

Common sense post. I've seen people on FB saying Leeds bypassed midfield and if we had DM would've been different game. Hilarious. 

Was carbon copy of the 3-0 last time at VP. That's on Gerrard and coaching staff failing to have plan to counter or maybe plan was working with 3 goals in first half but Konsa had complete mare

Also a lot of talk about how Dougie has no pace, yet was one of the only ones who successfully pressured Leeds last night 6 from 16 - while McGinn managed 1 from 12 attempts. For me the biggest issue was the time we had out - we looked like a team who hadn't played a proper game in 3 weeks because we... well.. were.

• Like 1

Â