John McGinn

PompeyVillan

42 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Future Captain?

For all his faults, he is a huge part of our club and an incredible midfielder at his best.

As I said previously, hopefully having better players around him will allow him more consistency.

He is one of the 3 playing leaders at the club him, Mings and Emi

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Yeah, I thought the game passed him by for large portions today.

It passed most of our players by second half. Everton had no intention of playing football, they just launched it forward.

• Like 1

Just now, WHY said:

It passed most of our players by second half. Everton had no intention of playing football, they just launched it forward.

That is indeed true however first-half our standout performers from midfield were Buendia and Ramsey.

As I say he struggled a bit today and seemed to be caught out in terms of the pace of the game, seemed laboured to me.

Hopefully the little mini pre-season coming up will getting back up to speed as he was getting a little consistency back into his game previously. 

Personally, if a very good offer came in, i would sell.

Not that i want to get rid of him, he's a good player, a very good player on his day, but if we are serious about progressing to challenge for the top 6, imo you dont build a team around McGinn, he would be a good squad player if we actually wanted to push the club on.

At least imo.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, WHY said:

McGinn was our best player in the first 20 mins imo. He stopped them bullying us and getting a grip on the game. Could have been a much different game had he not done this. Not saying you but most fans don’t get this type of thing, it’s what ultimately gets you a foot hold in the game to go forward and win it. 

I thought he put in the first real tasty tackle, sliding tackle that won the ball cleanly but they reacted to it, wasn't a free kick and nothing was given but it set the tone 

Not his fault because it was a great tackle 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, WHY said:

McGinn was our best player in the first 20 mins imo. He stopped them bullying us and getting a grip on the game. Could have been a much different game had he not done this. Not saying you but most fans don’t get this type of thing, it’s what ultimately gets you a foot hold in the game to go forward and win it. 

And exactly what we struggled with in his absence vs United last week.

• Like 3

He's great at hustling the opposition out of possession and driving forward with the ball if he has the space to turn, but he's really bad at passing and moving, which causes our play to get mired in the middle third when the opposition is pressuring and either has to go back or go wide/long. JJ and Sanson are both more active when it comes to moving into space to receive passes, while SJM tends to just hang around in the area he passed from.

5 hours ago, Mazrim said:

Honestly, I thought he was poor.

He wasn't great but I don't think we keep a clean sheet without him.

He won't get bullied, he keeps going, gives us a fairly reliable long ball option as well.

• Like 3

For me I would be torn on whether to sell him if a £50 million bid came in for him.

On one hand games sometimes pass him by, but on the other he does so much for the team that goes unnoticed and you don't realise it until he's missing.

I actually think McGinn could become better with better players around him, and once the new additions settle into the side.

A bit of steel behind him could also free him up to make more of those late runs into the box.

1 minute ago, wilko154 said:

For me I would be torn on whether to sell him if a £50 million bid came in for him.

On one hand games sometimes pass him by, but on the other he does so much for the team that goes unnoticed and you don't realise it until he's missing.

I actually think McGinn could become better with better players around him, and once the new additions settle into the side.

A bit of steel behind him could also free him up to make more of those late runs into the box.

I think he’s been much more disciplined under Gerrard, and better he won tackles and challenges yesterday and kept the intensity, Ramsey is the one with the license to bomb forward.

• Like 1

Â