John McGinn

PompeyVillan

He's a fantastic player.
I never thought I'd say it, but I think he's better than Grealish.

Super player. Has everything you want in a midfielder. Would walk into every team in the league outside of Liverpool and City. 
We'll have a job keeping him even if we do stay up. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

He's a fantastic player.
I never thought I'd say it, but I think he's better than Grealish.

Super player. Has everything you want in a midfielder. Would walk into every team in the league outside of Liverpool and City. 
We'll have a job keeping him even if we do stay up. 

It's a good thing it's those 2, because those are the only ones I'd be worried about him joining. I don't see why you'd leave your club to join any of the clubs bar those 2. Why join languishing United or Arsenal, into weird dressing room dynamics when you've got a good thing going here and might even catch them up in time?

I'm not saying mcginn is crap or anything but people saying he is better than Grealish is baffling to me for a couple of reasons

1) Mcginn benefits from having lots of space created by teams focusing on Grealish this let's him play his game a lot easier than he otherwise would.

2) Mcginn plays on the right which has been much better offensively this year because we have guilbert compared to taylor. It will be more reasonable to compare mcginn to Grealish once targett has played more.

3) Mcginn is why we are struggling when we are in possession of the ball in our half. Instead of dropping to deep to collect the ball he is up near wesley which means to play the ball out we either have the line I.e winger and Guilbert or playing back across the pitch and giving it to taylor which as we all know forces us back again.

4) Mcginn **** our left flank. Taylor is a bad offensive player so when Grealish is out on the left with el ghazi he has 4 options. 1 attempt to take multiple players on. 2 play the ball to el ghazi and hope he can do the above. 3 pass back to taylor and restart the attack. 4 pass back to our dm or mings and restart the attack. Grealish should have a 5th option but he is on the other side of the pitch playing striker. Mcginn needs to come short and show for Grealish there so we can actually attack (yes targett will help) Down the left. Grealish comes and helps the right all the time and we often score from it. Against Everton we were at our best when mcginn was on the left and Grealish was on the right because both sides had 3 attacking players supporting the play with Grealish making himself available on both sides which mcginn just hasn't been doing.

5) A lot of the shots mcginn takes are pointless. He has had the 2nd most shots on target in the division yet only 3 goals this tells me he is hitting the target from outside the box but he doesn't score from there. Occasionally he will score a belter but if he plays a pass or takes it a 2 or 3 yards forward he is in a much better position to score which can only be a good thing for us.

Also interesting take what if we do the Spain thing with him playing him upfront in the fabregas role. Nakamba and Luiz holding with Jack trez and El Ghazi as our attacking midfielders with mcginn upfront. I would also like to see hourihane upfront if wesley struggles in the next 3 games or gets injured. 

Edit: Numbers

Edited by MotoMkali
Numbers
  • Like 4

20 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

I'm not saying mcginn is crap or anything but people saying he is better than Grealish is baffling to me for a couple of reasons

1) Mcginn benefits from having lots of space created by teams focusing on Grealish this let's him play his game a lot easier than he otherwise would.

2) Mcginn plays on the right which has been much better offensively this year because we have guilbert compared to taylor. It will be more reasonable to compare mcginn to Grealish once targett has played more.

3) Mcginn is why we are struggling when we are in possession of the ball in our half. Instead of dropping to deep to collect the ball he is up near wesley which means to play the ball out we either have the line I.e winger and Guilbert or playing back across the pitch and giving it to taylor which as we all know forces us back again.

4) Mcginn **** our left flank. Taylor is a bad offensive player so when Grealish is out on the left with el ghazi he has 4 options. 1 attempt to take multiple players on. 2 play the ball to el ghazi and hope he can do the above. 3 pass back to taylor and restart the attack. 4 pass back to our dm or mings and restart the attack. Grealish should have a 5th option but he is on the other side of the pitch playing striker. Mcginn needs to come short and show for Grealish there so we can actually attack (yes targett will help) Down the left. Grealish comes and helps the right all the time and we often score from it. Against Everton we were at our best when mcginn was on the left and Grealish was on the right because both sides had 3 attacking players supporting the play with Grealish making himself available on both sides which mcginn just hasn't been doing.

5) A lot of the shots mcginn takes are pointless. He has had the 2nd most shots on target in the division yet only 3 goals this tells me he is hitting the target from outside the box but he doesn't score from there. Occasionally he will score a belter but if he plays a pass or takes it a 2 or 3 yards forward he is in a much better position to score which can only be a good thing for us.

Also interesting take what if we do the Spain thing with him playing him upfront in the fabregas role. Nakamba and Luiz holding with Jack trez and El Ghazi as our attacking midfielders with mcginn upfront. I would also like to see hourihane upfront if wesley struggles in the next 3 games or gets injured. 

Edit: Numbers

u wot m8?!?!?!

season 2 what GIF by BBC Three

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Watch out for a quite ridiculous bit of skill from McGinn just before (the penalty I think or maybe the second goal). Utterly filthy.  Ronaldo or Messi do that and it goes down in history. 

How he can be so gracefully composed and still be a bear-pig-mole? Boggles the mind.

Edited by Tomaszk
  • Haha 2

I wouldn't want to be negative, but can't help it. I thought this was not a good showing from John today. He was pretty quiet going forward, and left Guilbert to deal with two guys all game long. Our right hand side was leaking badly all game.

Guy needs a rest. Not saying he played bad or anything by the way. His style of play and playing all league and cup games will start to tell. I saw it happen last year, then he got a rest because he got injured. Came back the norm mcginn after it

20 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He actually had an off day today for his own standard he’s set.  Still an easy 7 out of 10.

Wish his curling effort went it. 

I was sure that was going in when he turned the defender and opened up.

Shows the standards he's set when I'm pee'd off he hasn't bent a 27 yard shot into the top corner.

9 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Guy needs a rest. Not saying he played bad or anything by the way. His style of play and playing all league and cup games will start to tell. I saw it happen last year, then he got a rest because he got injured. Came back the norm mcginn after it

Thought he had a 2 game suspension which coincided with Grealish Coming back and us starting the ten game run. Maybe that is why he gets soany booking so he can get some rest. 

11 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Thought he had a 2 game suspension which coincided with Grealish Coming back and us starting the ten game run. Maybe that is why he gets soany booking so he can get some rest. 

Yeah you might be right actually. He got rested whatever the case and came back a different man from his previous 10 games 

7 hours ago, sidcow said:

Watch out for a quite ridiculous bit of skill from McGinn just before (the penalty I think or maybe the second goal). Utterly filthy.  Ronaldo or Messi do that and it goes down in history. 

I mean come on. Who does he think he is, Douglas Luiz?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mic09 said:

Are all our Scottish players Brazilian?

Trump is president. Boris is PM. Villa got brazilians dancing and a Scottish player is more technical then them all. 

Think I might stock up some canned foods this week, cause the world's end is here. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 4

Â