John McGinn

PompeyVillan

According to the Premier league stats website, he's won more tackles than any of our other players with 23, the next best two are Grealish and Guilbert both with 12, Grealish also high up in the list of blockers aswell. Which I think in part just goes to show how much we've needed a proper DM like Nakamba in the side, or maybe it doesn't, still quite interesting anyway.

Edited by useless

3 minutes ago, useless said:

According to the Premier league stats website, he's won more tackles than any of our other players with 23, the next best two are Grealish and Guilbert both with 12, Grealish also high up in the list of blockers aswell. Which I think in part just goes to show how much we've needed a proper DM like Nakamba in the side, or maybe it doesn't, still quite interesting anyway.

without him wed be you!

Only one other player in the whole division has had more shots on target than him. And he's by far and away the player with the most shots at goal in our team, he's way ahead with 21 shots, then it's El Ghazi with 12.

6 minutes ago, useless said:

Only one other player in the whole division has had more shots on target than him. And he's by far and away the player with the most shots at goal in our team, he's way ahead with 21 shots, then it's El Ghazi with 12.

He's become such a potent goal threat this season it's actually crazy. I mean, he definitely knew where the goal was last season and knew how to hit them but this year, at a higher level, he looks like he's going to score every game. He's more lethal than Wesley and Davis combined.

5 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Why are people talking about him being sold. Jesus wept. 

Exactly. He just signed a new deal right after the window closes. If he leaves it will be for a stupidly high fee. 

Lets be honest about Sir John McGinn. 50m just wouldn't be enough for him now. Another 12-18 months and the way prices are you'd be crazy not to look for 75m for him. He'll score 10-15 easily this season if he keeps going the way he is. He has literally jumped up to prem level, not stepped up. Deserves all the accolades he is receiving this year and if we stay up it will be largely down to him. Amazing player!!

35 minutes ago, useless said:

Are people ever so slightly exaggerating how good he's been for the want of something positive to cling to in light of our less than brilliant beginning to the current campaign?

No, he's just been that good. If we ever sell him, it'll be for a several thousand % profit. Incredible really.

He's been great.  But there's still room for improvement - which is even better for us. 

I want to him him mucking in, getting dirty when we're under the cosh.  I want him to get us out of our box and drive us forward and push the opposition back.  I don't want to see us defend the 6 yard box, which we have done so often this year.  I want our defence on the edge of our 18 yard box, giving Heaton the space to come and claim crosses.  John can be a huge part of that, if he helped out Jack and whoever we have playing DM.

I have absolutely no issue with him in general.  His attacking play has been.. immense. 

But our defence needs a hand when we're leading and the clock is ticking down.  That's when big players get noticed.  I want him recieving the ball from a clearance and helping to alleviate pressure on our defence by either bringing others into play, or finding a villa player when we're under the cosh. 

That's literally my only criticism of him.  Other than that he's perfect.  Of course, it doesn't help that he runs himself into the ground by 70 minutes, but if that's the case then he needs to manage his energy levels better whilst playing. 

Keep it up John! :)  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

He's been great.  But there's still room for improvement - which is even better for us. 

I want to him him mucking in, getting dirty when we're under the cosh.  I want him to get us out of our box and drive us forward and push the opposition back.  I don't want to see us defend the 6 yard box, which we have done so often this year.  I want our defence on the edge of our 18 yard box, giving Heaton the space to come and claim crosses.  John can be a huge part of that, if he helped out Jack and whoever we have playing DM.

I have absolutely no issue with him in general.  His attacking play has been.. immense. 

But our defence needs a hand when we're leading and the clock is ticking down.  That's when big players get noticed.  I want him recieving the ball from a clearance and helping to alleviate pressure on our defence by either bringing others into play, or finding a villa player when we're under the cosh. 

That's literally my only criticism of him.  Other than that he's perfect.  Of course, it doesn't help that he runs himself into the ground by 70 minutes, but if that's the case then he needs to manage his energy levels better whilst playing. 

Keep it up John! :)  

Yes there's been a few games so far where he hasn't shown for the ball enough, especially in good space. Also, he clearly drops off around the 70 minute mark so some room for improvement there. However despite this he has still been very good.

• Like 2

Â