John McGinn

PompeyVillan

I was interested in his comments after the game today.....He seemed a bit miffed naturally, but was searching for answers and said " we seem to struggle with 10 men" ......while its obvious, it raises many questions.

I thought we took the goals well, as we normally do.......The pitch craft and transition work looks low grade at times......perhaps why we struggle to contain teams.

Guy is a total winner, I can fully understand the frustration in his comments. Dosen't mean he's having a dig at Dean Smith btw as I'm sure there's plenty of respect between the two.

He's been one of our best players this season. Now needs more help and more bodies around him in central midfield.

He's brilliant.

Still need more from him though. That second half he wasn't getting involved enough and we need him getting on the ball so we can have some "relaxed" possession. I'm sure that's part of the reason we're getting so tired.

image.png.f8716800e05c426f17316b4fc02320e0.png

The least amount of passes bar Wes. Can't be right when the guy next to you playing the same position has the most. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

He's brilliant.

Still need more from him though. That second half he wasn't getting involved enough and we need him getting on the ball so we can have some "relaxed" possession. I'm sure that's part of the reason we're getting so tired.

image.png.f8716800e05c426f17316b4fc02320e0.png

The least amount of passes bar Wes. Can't be right when the guy next to you playing the same position has the most. 

To me, that just shows that he only really gets involved when he wants something to happen.  It's not being a team player, holding your position and keeping the tempo moving with us.  

As soon as we got under the cosh, he should have reverted back to being a CM, getting the ball and passing it around - looks like that didn't happen. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

To me, that just shows that he only really gets involved when he wants something to happen.  It's not being a team player, holding your position and keeping the tempo moving with us.  

As soon as we got under the cosh, he should have reverted back to being a CM, getting the ball and passing it around - looks like that didn't happen. 

It could show that if you want to interpret it that way.

We know McGinn though, he is a team player, he's the team player. He's maybe going about it the wrong way when we're under pressure. Is he pushing forward as support for Wes because no one else will/is? He's certainly showing a return in terms of goals/assists/chances created, he's our most involved offensive player easily.

He's far from the most pressing issue, but I expect the best (or just better) from players like him and Jack because they're good enough to ask for it.

image.png.6edeaf3a180f4733243fb7eb0e724ca1.png

He averaged being further forward than El Ghazi. We either need to get the ball up to him, or he's got to come and make himself available for it. Can't be having a centre mid with 18 passes against 10 men for most of the game. 

As usual I think he'll keep improving a this occasional lack of involvement will get solved.

5 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

We know McGinn though, he is a team player, he's the team player. He's maybe going about it the wrong way when we're under pressure. Is he pushing forward as support for Wes because no one else will/is? He's certainly showing a return in terms of goals/assists/chances created, he's our most involved offensive player easily.

He's far from the most pressing issue, but I expect the best (or just better) from players like him and Jack because they're good enough to ask for it.

He averaged being further forward than El Ghazi. We either need to get the ball up to him, or he's got to come and make himself available for it. Can't be having a centre mid with 18 passes against 10 men for most of the game. 

As usual I think he'll keep improving a this occasional lack of involvement will get solved.

Wow he is literally playing off of Wesley's shoulder as a second striker. I don't have a problem with Mcginn playing that way it has obviously reaped benefits for us but we really need another CM for cover.  That just leaves way to much ground for Grealish and Nkamaba to cover. What's the point of playing 2 wingers if one has to drop in the midfield to compensate for your actual CM venturing forward. 

Maybe it's time to try a double pivot with 3 in front and Wesley as the lone striker. Mcginn needs to do his thing up top but it shouldn't be a winger having to cover for his forward runs. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Where do you get this graphic from out of curiosity?

On 23/09/2019 at 17:04, Tomaszk said:

He really does need to be deeper. He is best bringing the ball out but he can't do that so far up. On top of this Grealish is better than mcginn idn the final third at everything except shooting and should be higher than mcginn creating chances for our other players. 

Playing Connor and Nakamba allowed John to stay forward without us sacrificing the midfield. Going forward I think that is the way we have to play. This is the first game Jack and John both looked completely comfortable in their positioning. More of the same Deano. 

I've been watching Villa for 30 years.  I can kinda remember the first Graham Taylor era but it's probably the Big Ron team of 92/93 which I first paid a lot of attention to, and I'm already starting to think John McGinn is as good as any central midfielder who has played for us in that time.  He's defiantly the best player in the current squad. 

Â