John McGinn

PompeyVillan

4 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play.

He's not done that.

• Like 1

I can see why it was given. However, it's inexcusable for Spurs to start throwing shoves without punishment. Udogie who was fouled was quick to get up and join in with Johnson with the shoves also. 

8 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

He was desperately trying to bring the team back into the game, leading from the front - he'd just chased down three men to win a ball and was absolutely at full pace trying to set an example - that's got the better of him when he's mis-timed one. A pity, you could see what he was trying to do in lifting the team, but he needs to be careful how he does it. 

I thought a yellow would be enough personally, but it's one of those that looks bad because of the speed everything happens.

I have a feeling we'll see a pretty fired up McGinn for Thursday, with something to prove and it could be that the little rest might prove helpful to us down the line.

Going to be very hard without him against West Ham and Wolves though.

Literally this - He was the only one today who looked like he had any fight in him, any desire - Reckless, maybe. Red, nope. Do we need more SJMs. yes we bloody do

• Like 3

1 minute ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

Yep, the pace of it all is what brings the red out. 

In reality, he's clipped the blokes heel. But because he's going at speed, it looks worse than it was. It wasn't high, it wasn't reckless and I maintain it was a yellow and no more. 

Clipped his heel while taking out his other leg yeah. He was the main one trying to drag us back into the game though, could sense his frustration and although I don't blame him for being frustrated, you can't do that. It is a one off though, he's not a dirty player.

2 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

What did he get sent off for then? Like I said I thought it was harsh but people seem convinced it was a red.

I think he's been sent off for the force of the challenge - it's not a lunge, and in the end he makes no actual contact with the player with his foot - the contact is from McGinn's upper calf/lower knee - he's run through him rather than kicked through him.

Just seen the replay. Why is that spurs player putting his leg in the way of where John is running? Should be a free kick to us in my view! 

Edited by Tayls
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:
7 minutes ago, Dale said:

Ederson just done one of these. Yellow

Exactly this. Ederson is even the last player. 

Yellow and a penalty in the box, that’s the rule.  If it was out the area it would be red, that’s the rules.  Somebody showed the PL rules around it last year because I thought they were wrong but they weren’t.

Edited by nick76

2 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

Exactly this. Ederson is even the last player. 

Ederson was clearly attempting to kick the ball not the man unlike McGinn.  It's a yellow if it's in the box and a penalty.

• Like 1

It's a red for me, in slow motion it looks a little harsh, but full speed he's just gone and kicked the guy in frustration with no chance of getting the ball. You can't do that.

I understand why he's frustrated, I'm not digging him out for it, hopefully he comes back stronger for the break and smarter. In the meantime we've got a hell of a job dealing with his absence.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PaulC said:

It's not the same at all. Ederson went for the ball but was late 

He stood no chance of getting there. Timing was at least as off on terms of making the ball. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, PaulC said:

It's not the same at all. Ederson went for the ball but was late 

McGinn is going for the ball - he's just the wrong side of him and gotten it all wrong. 

Hopefully he pulls out of the pointless international games coming up so he gets a proper rest. Would be a benefit to both us and Scotland 

• Like 1

I couldn't care less if it is a stone wall red or not. Going in like that you're asking for trouble. I imagine he was trying inject a bit of bite into the game and our team/fans but that was poorly timed and reckless. I hope he gets a bollocking because he has no-one to blame but himself.

Â