John McGinn

PompeyVillan

32 minutes ago, jimmygreaves said:

Calm down.... It was a trip. Anyone would think reading the comments on here that we'd just witnessed Roy Keane on Harrland

Just a trip?

7f79c95b2804467489a9c9e7ad7b3916.gif

1b64a9a154e5477f99cfb6f0711aa5a9.gif

Edited by Aston_Villan4

That's not a red. 

I've seen tackles like that in the Prem plenty of times that only warrant a yellow. 

The reaction from the Spurs bench and Udogie fully swayed the ref. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

That's not a red. 

I've seen tackles like that in the Prem plenty of times that only warrant a yellow. 

The reaction from the Spurs bench and Udogie fully swayed the ref. 

You haven't unless you're going back pre-VAR and even then those tackles wouldn't go in the modern game. 

It's an orange for me. A different ref and not right in front of the dugout he might have got away with a yellow.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Just a trip?

7f79c95b2804467489a9c9e7ad7b3916.gif

1b64a9a154e5477f99cfb6f0711aa5a9.gif

Tackling from the wrong side too

Even if he wasn't late he cannot possibly win the ball without going through the player 

It's an easy red card 

Seen them given as not-red plenty of times, but it was silly giving him the decision to make. I'm not mad at our John, he was the only player on the pitch giving it his all today and he boiled over. Well miss him, but it's a chance for Tim to show us if he's got what it takes, and he can play against Ajax then take a bit of rest. Plenty of credit in the bank for this fella so let's not go overboard. 

It’s a red at any level of football. Absolute stupid tackle and got what he deserved. Let, himself, the club and the fans down. It’s annoying at he’s a top bloke and out of character for him. 

Edited by WHY

Dickhead tackle but we hsve seen many captains do the same over the years. Lets not deride him. The man was playing centre back on Thursday to help us

He is an intelligent man. He won't do it again for sure. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Tackling from the wrong side too

Even if he wasn't late he cannot possibly win the ball without going through the player 

It's an easy red card 

It's a clear foul and a definite yellow, but it's not like he's gone in studs up, he's caught him with the inside of his knee - I'd expect to see a yellow, but I think the pace of things and the drama of the fall and the Spurs players surrounding the ref pushed it up a notch.

• Like 1

I didn’t see it properly at the game and watching it back thought it was a bit harsh, it wasn’t a leg breaker, he’s brought him down. But then I suppose it was excessive force. I don’t think we’ll win an appeal.

SERIOUS FOUL PLAY

A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play.

Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play.

It's a red, no doubt. 

If he'd tripped him with a clipped heel, or even slid in front and not got the ball it's a yellow. 

The fact he took a huge **** swipe from the wrong side means he's basically just kicked on opponent. 

Lansbury had one for us in the Championship.

Yep, the pace of it all is what brings the red out. 

In reality, he's clipped the blokes heel. But because he's going at speed, it looks worse than it was. It wasn't high, it wasn't reckless and I maintain it was a yellow and no more. 

He won't care but it's unfortunate for him that people are jumping on with 'what a dirty player', 'just what you expect from McGinn' when he's by all accounts one of the nicest players you'll find and generally very disciplined on the pitch. This was an incredibly uncharacteristic moment from him and it would be a shame if his reputation suffers for it long term

Edited by jayEm
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, TheMightyVillans said:

took his frustration with his teammates out on the opposition and as a result made it even more difficult for his teammates.

This sums it up, he was giving it his all, the others weren’t. He over compensated and in doing so caused us even more problems.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

It's a clear foul and a definite yellow, but it's not like he's gone in studs up, he's caught him with the inside of his knee - I'd expect to see a yellow, but I think the pace of things and the drama of the fall and the Spurs players surrounding the ref pushed it up a notch.

That would be the case if he was done for serious foul play but we'll have to wait and see what he's charged with, I think that's violent conduct 

He's booted a guy in the air late when he can't possibly win the ball

It's frustration boiling over in to a dirty tackle, there's no excusing it 

Â