John McGinn

PompeyVillan

2 hours ago, NeilS said:

I wasn’t sure about him earlier in the season, but he has proven me totally wrong. He has gone up to a new level in the last few months. Very impressive today and the last few times I have seen him. The arse turn on Kane was a sight to behold. 😃

I was the same and just turned out he just needed an actual coach

• Like 1

We haven't seen him dominate like this since the Championship. I've missed this McGinn. Seemed for a while there that the arse rolls didn't translate well in the PL. He completely bodied that Spurs midfield today. Contrast that to our first game back in the PL where he was bouncing off the likes of Lamela and N'Dombele.

• Like 3

Oddly enough, looks really at home in the double pivot too. Under Deano, he had his problems in the double pivot with Luiz when we would play 4231 but his positioning and defensive discipline is much better due to coaching. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Was quality today. He's dominating games centrally like he was in the championship run in.

Very happy indeed to eat some Haggis humble Pie if any is knocking around.

Said exactly the same to my son at the game yesterday. Absolutely stunning performance. 

I doubted him aswell earlier in the season btw so I’ll pull up a chair and join you for some of that pie. 

I know he’s had ups and downs and has struggled with consistency, but I do love Super John, and that £2m fee has to go down as one of the best value transfer fees we’ve ever made (ignoring free transfers). 

I was there yesterday with a mate who is new to football (I know, strange!!) but I’ve indoctrinated him in to being a Villa fan obviously as we’re the best club in the world. But even he said what a player SJMG was yesterday 

Edited by alreadyexists

2 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

He’s been a revelation under Emery. We can all talk about Ugarte, Guendouzi, whoever, but how on earth are you dropping McGinn? Looks like one of the best midfielders in the Prem at the moment.

Yep. If McGinn isn’t an automatic starter next season (rotation aside) it’s means we’ll have to have signed someone very very special in the summer. 

I think why McGinn is a coaches dream is his ability to take on instructions and carry them out on the pitch. He also is very consistent and his levels never really drop below a 7/10 

I think the issue under Gerrard was the system with McGinn more a DM/RB and essentially sacrificed for the system. 

Under Emery he's playing on Right of Midfield or right side of central two and crucially that is the side which has a defensive RB allowing McGinn to be a forward thinking midfielder. 

His defensive workrate is also top notch and he feels like our Henderson. He will not have any issues being on the bench for some games and starting others next season.

I can't see him losing the armband 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I wasn’t a fan of the decision to strip Mings of the captaincy and give it to McGinn and I still don’t think it was a great idea but there is absolutely no need cause any more controversy by changing things around again. Like you said, he’s doing well, he keeps it. Don’t need any more drama like that going into next season. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I think why McGinn is a coaches dream is his ability to take on instructions and carry them out on the pitch. He also is very consistent and his levels never really drop below a 7/10 

I think the issue under Gerrard was the system with McGinn more a DM/RB and essentially sacrificed for the system. 

Under Emery he's playing on Right of Midfield or right side of central two and crucially that is the side which has a defensive RB allowing McGinn to be a forward thinking midfielder. 

His defensive workrate is also top notch and he feels like our Henderson. He will not have any issues being on the bench for some games and starting others next season.

For sure was craziest thing about Gerrard tenure was seeing SJM occupying RB positioning

• Like 1

I’m not one really to get angry at a game, but the decision to give a foul against McGinn for a little shoulder to shoulder with Son yesterday really irritated me. 

3 hours ago, av1 said:

Yep. If McGinn isn’t an automatic starter next season (rotation aside) it’s means we’ll have to have signed someone very very special in the summer. 

Absolutely.  6 months ago I would have said that McGinn needs to be coming off the bench next season for us to move to the next level.  I still think it would be amazing if he is our first choice midfield sub - but you know what a midfield quartet of Kamara, Luiz, McGinn and ano would still be right up there.  It is going to feel really weird when Emery can bring on subs and actually the players on the bench aren't a noticeable drop off in quality and you know what at times we will actually look stronger after the sub than we were before.  For example, by bringing on a super fresh McGinn (or JJ or Buendia) to exploit a bit of tiredness in the opposition.  

• Like 1

I'd have packed him off also 6 months ago. Even when Unai first came in it was hard to see a long term future for McGinn, his form was just so poor. A bit of time out the starting line up and a few months later, we are looking at a totally different player and one more like the player who dominated Championship teams. He's definitely gone up more than a level and got his mojo back. Along with Luiz he has been by far the biggest reason we went unbeaten for so long and have climbed the table so dramatically. He's now un-droppable imo.  

• Like 1

Â