John McGinn

PompeyVillan

13 hours ago, Villarocker said:

Tell you what I've noticed. 

I do bet builders on every Villa game - not to try to win lots of money but, just to add a bit of other interest in the game. 

I always would have Luiz or McGinn to get booked or make a certain amount of fouls etc. Against Man City, Kamara didn't make a single foul. Today, McGinn and Luiz both failed to make a foul. 

I've played football at Sunday league level and can't imagine ever having a game where anyone playing in midfield failed to make a foul. Those players should be making fouls, unless they're so perfect that they fairly win every challenge they contest. 

Not sure what you’re getting at here.

• Like 1

On 19/02/2023 at 10:11, Delphinho123 said:

Not sure what you’re getting at here.

My point is that I would expect, if we are going to lose a game, to have at least put a few challenges in to at least show the opposition they are in a game. Saka was on the winning side and nearly broke Moreno's ankle. Look at the teams at the top and see how many fouls their players make. 

2 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

My point is that I would expect, if we are going to lose a game, to have at least put a few challenges in to at least show the opposition they are in a game. Saka was on the winning side and nearly broke Moreno's ankle. Look at the teams at the top and see how many fouls their players make. 

On average fouls per match we are joined 4th to 7th. Man utd are the only team above us in the league table that have committed the same amount, no team above has commited more. Honurable mentions go to Arsenal who are 16th, liverpool (terrible season) are 18th and man city 19th most fouls commited. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chicken Field said:

On average fouls per match we are joined 4th to 7th. Man utd are the only team above us in the league table that have committed the same amount, no team above has commited more. Honurable mentions go to Arsenal who are 16th, liverpool (terrible season) are 18th and man city 19th most fouls commited. 

That may well be but, in the last two games, which were against the top two in the league, you'd expect us to commit more fouls. Kamara didn't make one against Man City and McGinn and and Luiz didn't against Arsenal. They are pretty much the centre of midfield. I think that them getting stronger tackles in against the big boys might make a difference. Maybe I am wrong but, in my opinion, when you play the so-called bigger clubs, I would like to see our players be a bit more physical against them. 

44 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

That may well be but, in the last two games, which were against the top two in the league, you'd expect us to commit more fouls. Kamara didn't make one against Man City and McGinn and and Luiz didn't against Arsenal. They are pretty much the centre of midfield. I think that them getting stronger tackles in against the big boys might make a difference. Maybe I am wrong but, in my opinion, when you play the so-called bigger clubs, I would like to see our players be a bit more physical against them. 

We could probably have been more physical in those games, altough using the frequency of fouls given commited is the wrong measurement of physicality imo. 

2 hours ago, Villarocker said:

But they made quite a lot of successful tackles. And Arsenal keep the ball moving quickly.

I was just reading a Birmingham live article, about how McGinn was still in the car park at 5pm after Saturday's game, giving up his time to chat and have pictures taken with supporters. You just have to love that kind of humbleness and kindness . I wish more of today's players showed a willingness to give a little back, it means so much, especially to a young supporter.

I posted a video today of Tyrone Mings giving his shirt, after a game, to a young Villa fan with down - syndrome, the joy on that young lad's face, filled me with tears. I always knew Mings was a decent guy off the pitch, and it's no coincidence that it was him and McGinn who went and paid Tribute at the shrine for the young lads who perished when falling through the ice at a Kingshurst lake.

Edited by sheepyvillian
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I was just reading a Birmingham live article, about how McGinn was still in the car park at 5pm after Saturday's game, giving up his time to chat and have pictures taken with supporters. You just have to love that kind of humbleness and kindness . I whish more of today's players showed a willingness to give a little back, it means so much, especially to a young supporter.

I posted a video today of Tyrone Mings giving his shirt, after a game, to a young Villa fan with down - syndrome, the joy on that young lad's face, filled me with tears. I always knew Mings was a decent guy off the pitch, and it's no coincidence that it was him and McGinn who went and paid Tribute at the shrine for the young lads who perished when falling through the ice at a Kingshurst lake.

On Mings when I did a stadium tour the lady who presented the tour mentioned he has a box at the Villa but donates it to charity Every Single game. He's a top bloke!

• Like 3

Does anyone have the numbers for games since Emery has taken over that McGinn has played in. We must have won more with him than without? I feel like he has come back from injury and been put straight back into the side… so must be important for how Emery wants to play 

Edited by Tayls

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

I love how he's become a solid dependable player who comes in and does an admirable job when called upon, instead of the undroppable lynchpin of our midfield that he was earlier this season. It suits him to a tee.

Yes, this is how it should be. I trust Emery to use him as and when needed.

Â