John McGinn

PompeyVillan

The reality is he's been pretty bad for a long time now. There were odd flashes last season, but he basically hasn't been consistently good since the start of 20/21 and it's too long. Really he should be dropped with the medium-term goal of selling him, but unaccountably Gerrard chose to make him captain so now we have to suffer his terrible performances every single game.

• Like 1

My thoughts on McGinn on exactly the same as those I held for El Ghazi. 

Huge part of our turnaround and guys we should always have fond memories of. Neither are good enough for the PL. 

Id prefer If McGinn left now so like AEG we can remember the good times, I’d hate for it to turn sour because he is one of the good guys, but if he continues to be a guaranteed starter I fear it will only end in uncomfortably.  

Edited by av1

43 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Feels like a lifetime ago the press touted him as a £40-50m midfielder

When I first heard those rumours it was laughable to me, it turns out those rumours were probably BS. Perhaps fabricated to get a new contract or pay rise?

Championship player at best.

Not nice to see people turning on him like this. Has been a brilliant player for us these last few years, but he has massive technical deficiencies and has hit a ceiling. Plus I think his tendency to put on weight in the off season is starting to catch up with him as he ages.

We probably wouldn’t be having these conversations if he was being used sensibly as a squad player. Or if we’d cashed in on him when his stock was high (always difficult to sell a popular player though).

• Like 2

One thing I realise watching him is the reason he is always using his body to shield the ball is that his touch isn’t good enough to create space for the pass. He gets the ball, gets it stuck under his feet, and then he goes into shielding mode, desperately looking around for someone to pass to.

A really good CM is aware of who he wants to pass to as he receives the ball, puts it into space with his first touch and then passes with his second touch. Ideally being able to do this off either foot.

I wouldn’t be surprised if other teams specifically target him with their press, because you know he’s going to take several touches and that’s when you can crowd a player and close off all the passing angles.

Maybe he benefited from having Grealish here, who was often being patrolled by two or three players and gave McGinn a bit more time and space on the ball. When he’s facing the opposition goal and has a bit of space, he is often a very good passer.

Edited by KentVillan
  • Like 2

Â