Tactics for the 2018/2019 Season

PieFacE

There's been quite a lot of discussion about our current tactics, especially surrounding the fact that we've just started to trial a 3-5-2 formation.

Personally I think it's a terrible idea for our current set of players and I feel we're wasting time trying to use it in pre-season, I can't help but feel within a game or two we will be abandoning it and trying something different.

With the current set of players we have, and assuming everyone is fit, what formation would you play?

I'd go for a 4-3-3 with the following.

Steer

Elmo    -  Sulliman - Chester     Hutton

Thor

Hourihane - Grealish

Green                                                 Albert

Davis

When out of possesion i'd keep the formation really rigid like the above, however when it possession I'd give Grealish license to roam forward and get the wingers bombing forward whilst staying close to the touchline to open up space across the pitch.  Davis has the ability to bring other into play even though he doesn't score much, I feel it's the most balanced side.

I like the formation Bruce used (with wingbacks) but we don't have the right players. We need a central defender who is happy to push up into midfield and pass the pall well (Terry?), we need wing backs with good pace and awareness of position, we need a decent box to box midfielder (maybe Hourihane?) and a striker who works hard for 90 mins

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Zatman said:

We have trialled 3 at the back so many times its super negative at this level and shows little faith in our defenders 

We've tried it a few times but it's always here and there in odd games, and I don't think that will ever work. It's such a different system to four at the back that it's difficult for players to just switch between the two. Some players might not be able to play in one of the systems at all.

So in a way we're going about it the right way this time. Using it in pre-season games and (I assume) drilling it into them in training so that we're ready for the new season.

On the other hand, we don't appear to have the right personnel to implement it so that bit is a bit baffling at the moment.

I haven't watched any pre-season games so can't really comment on it, but I'm a little wary.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dick said:

I like the formation Bruce used (with wingbacks) but we don't have the right players. We need a central defender who is happy to push up into midfield and pass the pall well (Terry?), we need wing backs with good pace and awareness of position, we need a decent box to box midfielder (maybe Hourihane?) and a striker who works hard for 90 mins

Jedi can do the defender pushing into midfield shenanigans, whilst simultaneously giving us someone with a bit of aerial presence at the back. Hes pretty much perfect for it.

The wing backs should be elmo and RDL, both have pace and carry attacking threats

The striker has to be Davis as he needs to hold the ball and be dangerous from crosses. Hopefully he can grow into the role but he has the right ingredients.

We do have the personnel, we just need to try them in the correct positions!

Â