Tactics for the 2018/2019 Season

PieFacE

I guess our tactics are still unanswered.

Honestly if we were to appoint a new manager I would like us to adopt the high pressing, high tempo style of play. 

Interestingly enough when I was watching All or nothing, Pepe seemed to be terrified by Liverpool because of their style of play (Gegenpress) and he struggled to see how his team can defend against that style.

Currently it appears to be a style that is considered exciting and hard to defend against.

Maybe one day we will be fortunate enough to see some style to the way we play.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Reivax_Villa said:

Honestly if we were to appoint a new manager I would like us to adopt the high pressing, high tempo style of play. 

Interestingly enough when I was watching All or nothing, Pepe seemed to be terrified by Liverpool because of their style of play (Gegenpress) and he struggled to see how his team can defend against that style.

Currently it appears to be a style that is considered exciting and hard to defend against.

McGinn reminds me of Milner and I think he would work in the CM jack-of-all-trades position Milner worked in.

That would give us..........Hourihane                   Grealish

McGinn

• Like 2

Think that against most teams in this league, especially at home we would get away with playing only 4 dedicated defensive outfield players and having:

McGinn        Hourihne

Grealish

Bolaisie                               El Ghazi

Abraham

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Tactics ?

Yeah, it's more formations really.

Tactics entail attention to detail, clear individual instructions as well as team instructions, movement patterns and loads and loads of things we seem to lack.

Can't even get Grealish to roll up his socks ffs.

• Like 2

I much preferred the tactics of last night to be honest. I think you just give yourself every chance of winning the game.

Yes, all in all, I think the tactic of "putting owour boots on" was far more successful than our other tactic of "not putting owour boots on"

Keep it up Brucie!

3 hours ago, sne said:

Think that against most teams in this league, especially at home we would get away with playing only 4 dedicated defensive outfield players and having:

McGinn        Hourihne

Grealish

Bolaisie                               El Ghazi

Abraham

My problem with this is where do the goals come from?  Abraham will score a load - but the other 5 would (I think) struggle to score 20-25 goals between them.  But a front 2 of Abraham and Kodjia would almost certainly be looking at 40-50 goals between them.  I know that 4-4-2 is frowned upon by many these days as "un-sophisticated" or "old-fashioned" but for me 4-5-1 or 4-3-3 depending on how you describe it only works when you have wide players like Hazard, Ronaldo, etc who are going to score 20 odd goals on their own.  I don't think we have that type of wide player - we have more traditional wingers.  So for me I would prefer:

Bolasie                                 McGinn                                           Grealish                                        El Ghazi

Abraham                                             Kodjia

I guess the worry is whether this would inhibit McGinn and Grealish too much.  But I just see the goal threat as being hugely more challenging for the opposition to deal with.

Edited by allani

7 hours ago, sne said:

Yeah, it's more formations really.

Tactics entail attention to detail, clear individual instructions as well as team instructions, movement patterns and loads and loads of things we seem to lack.

Can't even get Grealish to roll up his socks ffs.

It’s lacking in this thread as well which is peculiar for a thread for discussing tactics. It should be renamed “Formations for the 2018/2019 Season”.

Maybe the average football fan on a message board actually doesn’t really know all that much about tactics. Or maybe they prefer to keep their in depth tactical knowledge to themselves.

Who knows.

• 3 weeks later...

Thinking of what sort of style of I want our new manager to bring.

At this level I am not expecting free flowing football because I don't think we have the players of that amazing touch pass ability.

I would like us to have that sort of adaptability, when we are able to keep it on the ground  build up our play from the back and expose the weaknesses of the opposition,  however I also think that we should take advantage of our strengths.

I do feel that we have players that are suited to a more direct style where we can play it to the wings and put it in the box.

Watford have that type of style where they have a bit of fluidity to their play with Pereyra finding pockets of space but they use their target man in Deeney. to hold the ball and bring players in.

What sort of football style are you guys hoping for with this current crop of players?

I would like us to play a 4-2-3-1 formation. I would play hourihane and McGinn as the two in the middle. Then Bolassie and Kodjia on the left and right respectively of Grealish in the middle with Abraham up front. 

The big problem is the defence where  we are really weak in the air both in central defence and with our goalkeeper. If I was a new manager coming in I would check whether Steer and Elphick could be recalled but let’s assume that they can’t. 

I would play Tuanzebe and Chester in central defence and play a high back line. I would drop Hutton because his positioning and Mobility is not good enough for a high back line. Probably play Taylor and Elmohamedy as the fullbacks. 

For some games I would swap Hourihane for Jedinak.

• Like 3

If Smith is to bring attacking football to Villa his biggest problem is the lack of work rate  especially by Kodjia and Abraham. They don't seem to press with any intent. Most of the midfielders are happy just to jocky their opponent instead of getting stuck in. McGinn the exception of course.

• Like 1

I hope one of the things he is able to implement is a more cohesive team play, both in attack and defense.

we look so much better the few times we are able to press as a team and defend by using more of our players higher up the field.

Far too often there is one or two players pressing while the others drop back meaning the effort is just wasted. If we learn to do this as a team we will create a lot of trouble for most teams in this division.

Same in attack where all too often our attacker is isolated or forced to face up against 2 or 3 players with little or no support. 

with some patters in our play and more fluidity even an isolated could do some damage by creating space and knowing where the runs from his teammate will be. Meaning a flick on or pass into space would not just be blind hope.

For all of Bruce's and his coaches faults, this was his biggest. we lacked all semblance of a TEAM and no one seemed to know what the other one was going to do at any given point.

This is what I expect Smith and his team to change.

• Like 4

On 16/09/2018 at 15:59, Reivax_Villa said:

Were you rubbing an old lamp when you wrote this? 

• Haha 1

Â