Tactics for the 2018/2019 Season

PieFacE

5-3-2 with 4 RB's and 2 deep sitting holding DCM's.

Grealish given a free role in midfield going deep to collect the ball trying to find a no longer isolated Kodija flanked by a rejuvenated Chris Samba as sweeper-striker.

I can see it now

Bildresultat för it will be glorious meme

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, sne said:

5-3-2 with 4 RB's and 2 deep sitting holding DCM's.

Grealish given a free role in midfield going deep to collect the ball trying to find a no longer isolated Kodija flanked by a rejuvenated Chris Samba as sweeper-striker.

I can see it now

Bildresultat för it will be glorious meme

Pretty much going to be it, 30% possession, defend the 18 yard line, grind it out and hope JG or the codger can do something special....

back five comprising of RB, RB, RB (middle of 3), RB, LB (probably right footed).

• Haha 1

Get it wide and cross it into the box. Get it wide and cross it into the box. Get it wide and cross it into the box. Get it wide and cross it into the box. Get it wide and cross it into the box.

When that fails onto plan B... Get it wide and cross it into the box. Get it wide and cross it into the box. Get it wide and cross it into the box. Get it wide and cross it into the box. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Thing is with Bruce, it's all a bit "wash, rinse and repeat" , predictable and boring.  We'll always be solid enough, but we lacked a cutting edge and ruthless streak to our game last season.   Let's not concede and try and nick one type of attitude.  

Personally, I'd scrap the 3-5-2 or 5-3-2 and continue with 4-3-3, but with some changes.  If the squad stays as it is right now then Green is a must starter for me on the left, with Adomah on right and Kodj starting up top.  Grealish supporting. 

The back four and keeper is a worry, but perhaps Elphick and Taylor when called upon will rise to the challenge?    Would feel better if Huth could come in though, but that's for another thread. 

3 hours ago, Nigel said:

Jedi can do the defender pushing into midfield shenanigans, whilst simultaneously giving us someone with a bit of aerial presence at the back. Hes pretty much perfect for it.

The wing backs should be elmo and RDL, both have pace and carry attacking threats

The striker has to be Davis as he needs to hold the ball and be dangerous from crosses. Hopefully he can grow into the role but he has the right ingredients.

We do have the personnel, we just need to try them in the correct positions!

Jedi isn't the sort of player who can move from defence to midfield and then pick out a pass. He isn't the best on the ball, when he does try and use the ball like that it's always too slow and he gets closed down.

I'm not sure RDL has pace and also, Elmo - whilst the closest thing to a wing back, isn't great with positioning.

The striker needs to score goals, Davis won't.

I don't think we have the right players.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In all honesty this 3-5-2 formation looked more like 5-4-1 to me last night

We lacked pace last season, we only have 3 players who I would class as pacey in the whole squad - Adomah, Green and RdL

No matter which formation we play wont be that effective due to this issue

When Bruce first arrived he was banging on about how he always likes to play with 2 strikers but he just hasnt given a good go yet

4-4-2 for me.

RDL must surely have the RB position over Elmohamady, who does not impress me.I would have Bree as backup, only 20, I know, but I am not sure about him.

Hutton seems to be less of a loose cannon In the LB spot, and is certainly better than Taylor, who is the worst player in our first team.

Elphick and Chester of course.

Midfielders - Doyle-Hayes and Hourihane. Grealish a roving role in front of them.

Up front - Green and Adomah flanking Kodjia or Davis.

Subs - Hepburn-Murphy, O'Hare, Hogan, Mitch Clark (would actually probably prefer him at RB to Hutton), Elmohamady, Taylor.

There is also McKirdy, Knibbs, Suliman.

That is half decent.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Dick said:

Jedi isn't the sort of player who can move from defence to midfield and then pick out a pass. He isn't the best on the ball, when he does try and use the ball like that it's always too slow and he gets closed down.

I'm not sure RDL has pace and also, Elmo - whilst the closest thing to a wing back, isn't great with positioning.

The striker needs to score goals, Davis won't.

I don't think we have the right players.

I wont try and change your mind as im sure you see as many games as me but I find it funny how two people can see players so differently.

The only thing id agree with you there is Davis lack of goals, but that position is about more than goals for me.

Â