Tactics for the 2018/2019 Season

PieFacE

8 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Were you rubbing an old lamp when you wrote this? 

That's quite an intrusive question.  He likes tactics, he's happy at the thought of more tactics, it gives him pleasure.  If he rubs his old lamp wnen thinking about tactics, well, who are we to judge?

• Haha 1

Might be counter intuitive but I might try working with three in the back line.  I don’t think we have the players or GK to be rock solid defensively even if we keep a 6th man back in a dedicated DM (much less 5).  So I might be tempted to try just keeping 3 really organized to do the best they can.  That would leave 7 to focus on possession in the midfield and attack.  It’s risky. But if you can’t stop the opponent, it might be better to just try to outscore them.  

Of course the concept is easy to state in the abstract and you can’t cleanly cut a team in two like the above sounds, but I think the principle is clear.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This thread is now relevant.

Aside from the obvious pressing, winning the ball higher up and a more attacking mindset there were a few other things on show today.

We definitely intended to keep the ball on the floor knowing how a Pulis team likes to defend. Nearly every cross was played low into the box and they didn’t know how to cope. We played short corners and free kicks when we could to not give them to opportunity to head clear and counter.

Also noticed a lot of straight balls along the ground from deep midfield into the edge of the area, taking advantage of our mobility in attacking positions to create the space and bypassing their static midfield.

Wonder how our touches in the opposition area under Smith compare to Bruce.

• Like 2

On 02/12/2018 at 10:17, a m ole said:

This thread is now relevant.

Aside from the obvious pressing, winning the ball higher up and a more attacking mindset there were a few other things on show today.

We definitely intended to keep the ball on the floor knowing how a Pulis team likes to defend. Nearly every cross was played low into the box and they didn’t know how to cope. We played short corners and free kicks when we could to not give them to opportunity to head clear and counter.

Also noticed a lot of straight balls along the ground from deep midfield into the edge of the area, taking advantage of our mobility in attacking positions to create the space and bypassing their static midfield.

Wonder how our touches in the opposition area under Smith compare to Bruce.

I read this earlier today, you may find it of interest:

https://eflanalysis.com/analysis/championship/aston-villa/dean-smith-aston-villa-tactical-analysis-statistics

Interestingly you are spot on regarding the straights balls being played on the floor from deep midfield to the edge of the area. Hourihane attempted 8 of those out of his 50 passes against Derby and that's shown in a graphic in the link above.

If you only take Smith's games into account, Villa are the highest ranked for shots per game, possession retention and pass completion. We also are equal first for points amassed per game. Our pressing game has our opponents averaging only 73% pass completion while we are well over 80%. That goes hand in hand with us having a higher possession share and more shots on goal per game than any other team in the division.

Opponents have doubled the amount of fouls given by us in every fixture except the Norwich game, which still saw Norwich concede more fouls than us. This has meant we are easily the leagues highest scorers from set pieces this season, with a total of 15 goals.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
Â