Tactics for the 2018/2019 Season

PieFacE

52 minutes ago, Nigel said:

I wont try and change your mind as im sure you see as many games as me but I find it funny how two people can see players so differently.

The only thing id agree with you there is Davis lack of goals, but that position is about more than goals for me.

We just see it differently mate. No issues with that. ?

I must concur what others have already said on here and that we do not have the players for playing 3-5-2. I too, do not mind the system but we seriously lack the pace (particularly at the back) and the ability on the ball to play out from defence. I hope Bruce is just trying a few things out in pre season and doesn't try it away at Hull in a couple of weeks time.

As our team is at the moment I would play 4-1-4-1 and line up something like:

Steer

De Laet    Chester    Jedinak     Hutton

Bjarnsson 

Adomah     Hourihane   Grealish     Kodija

Davis (if fit)

Bunn, Elmo, Elphick, Whelan, Green, Lansbury, Hogan

Think we desperately need to add a new keeper (seen we are linked with one, Bunn should not be anyway near the squad). A new centre half - Think Terry would have worked in a three, I'd take Tuanzebe on loan, Huth would be an upgrade on Elphick, hard to say who though without knowing whst funds we have to work with. I would prefer Jedinak mopping up in front of the defence but only in certain games against physical opponents. I think Davis is the best we have at holding the ball up and bringing others into play, hence Kodija out wide.

Need to keep Jack and Chester and I think with a couple of good loan signings we will be play-offs again ? UTV 

• Like 2

You know what, I'd actually love to see this team going into the first game. It will be an unpopular opinion but I think it would be incredibly exciting.

Steer

Elmo   Suliman  Chester     Hutton

Hourihane - Doyle-Hayes 

Taylor          Grealish             Green

Davis

Play the youth! 

Edited by PieFacE

16 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

You know what, I'd actually love to see this team going into the first game. It will be an unpopular opinion but I think it would be incredibly exciting.

Steer

Elmo   Suliman  Chester     Hutton

Hourihane - Doyle-Hayes 

Taylor          Grealish             Green

Davis

Play the youth! 

Didn't realise we had re-signed Ian Taylor ? 

1 hour ago, StewieGriffin said:

Big piece on the OS about 3-5-2 and it's benefits, so looks like We'll be using it

Better sign some players to suit it then...

Quite. Bree/Taylor/Elphick as CB's is a bad idea imo. Adomah and Green at Wing-Back? FFS.

DeLaet - Hutton - Chester - ?????? - ??????

Elmo - Bree - Elphick - ?????? - Taylor

Would be how I see our potential 1st and 2nd strings next year if it's a back 5 we're after. And the second one aint stopping many goals imo.

Both of those holes at CB need, like Tro's been saying elsewhere a big strong lad in there. I fear he's eyeing up Jedinak's heading ability to shove in there. We need a decent left wing back if that's the plan. Green and Adomah should be much further forward imo.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StewieGriffin said:

Big piece on the OS about 3-5-2 and it's benefits, so looks like We'll be using it

Better sign some players to suit it then...

I wonder if the Moreira signing signifies we are looking for more technical, European players to suit the 3-5-2.  Mind you, I've never seen Moreira and he could have the worst distribution going, but you really need a keeper and back 3 that are calm on the ball.

• Haha 1

You also need ball playing centre backs who can step into midfield - we don't currently have that, and this is not an anti-Bruce comment  here, but 1) that's not his style of play - don't get caught up in a modern fad. Stick to your principles as a manager. 2) Look at our squad - we'd need about 5 new players to play that way - we barely have enough cb's to play 4-4-2, never mind 3-5-2... 3) Utilise what we have and play a system to suit - don't shoehorn them into a system. Green/Adomah at wingback would be a criminally stupid thing to do.

We tried 3/5/2 last year and it didn't work. Our personnel hasn't changed for the better since then.

Edited by StewieGriffin
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I wonder if the Moreira signing signifies we are looking for more technical, European players to suit the 3-5-2.  Mind you, I've never seen Moreira and he could have the worst distribution going, but you really need a keeper and back 3 that are calm on the ball.

André Moreira Characteristics

+ Strengths

Long passing
Very Strong
Shot stopping (Reflexes)
Strong
Saving close range shots
Strong
Saving long shots
Strong

- Weaknesses

Concentration
Weak

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/235761/Show/André-Moreira

• Like 2

3 hours ago, carewjust4u said:

André Moreira Characteristics

+ Strengths

Long passing
Very Strong
Shot stopping (Reflexes)
Strong
Saving close range shots
Strong
Saving long shots
Strong

- Weaknesses

Concentration
Weak

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/235761/Show/André-Moreira

Bruce must have signed him for his "long passing" capability. Can see it working well with 6'5" Hogan playing up top.

Edited by Pimlico_Villa

23 minutes ago, Pimlico_Villa said:

This is Bruce, so I'm expecting the classic 9 at the back, 1 midget upfront. 

He doesn't appear to be planning to use McCormack.

Â