Cyberpunk 2077

Chindie

Wish I’d seen this thread before buying this for my daughter, I’m assuming as she’s got an Xbox One that the game will be mostly useless? 

I’m not really au fait with modern gaming but it seems ridiculous that they can sell a game that doesn’t work on most consoles. 

10 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Another example of something I hate about modern gaming.

Obviously being able to patch games and release updates and add content etc is amazing.

But companies shouldn't be allowed to release games that blatantly are not finished and just fix it later. It's bullshit.

There's an extended discussion on the Bombcast this week about this. Apparently at a CDPR investor call last week someone straight up asked 'how did this pass certification', which lead to the podcast chatting about studios sometimes getting dispensation for games that are broken to allow them to hit release dates based largely on them saying 'we're working on it'.

Which is bullshit.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

Wish I’d seen this thread before buying this for my daughter, I’m assuming as she’s got an Xbox One that the game will be mostly useless? 

I’m not really au fait with modern gaming but it seems ridiculous that they can sell a game that doesn’t work on most consoles. 

The game is playable on every platform it's released on, although it's also buggy on them all as well - it has crashing issues, niggly things like character models bugging out, AI problems, physics going wacky... It's basically in need of a tonne of patches to polish it up.

Base Xbox One/One S runs badly but works. By runs badly it means bad frame rate ('stuttery') and lowest resolution graphics. One X performs better but still worse than you'd like. 

Basically it's a game that has been built around extremely high specs and the base Xbox One is the weakest console by a distance, and it shows. It looks the most blurry and grainy of the releases, it has the worst detail pop in (where the game changes the level of detail of each model as you get closer to it, you often see the very low detail model for extended periods while the game catches up to load the correct model) and the frame rate is very choppy - it's supposedly around mid-20 frames per second for much of the game, and drops below 20 in busier scenes. Going below 30 frames in modern games is pretty bad, and ideally you want 60 frames.

The One X performs better, with much higher resolution, but still has a rough frame rate and all the other issues the game currently has.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

Be ready to hardwire her xbox in to your router or she won't be playing it on xmas

I did the data disk last night which took about an hour and then the 1.04 patch I left over night, not looked for the ps5 upgrade download yet but I'm guessing that'll be another overnighter 

50 minutes ago, dubbs said:

Don't think the ps5 upgrade is available yet is it?

It's not ready and at this rate given how much work they need to do to fix up the last-gen versions I think the PS5/Series X upgrades will be delayed to 2022. They were already incredibly non-committal with the whole "at some point in 2021" talk, but given the staff are now crunching to fix the game that will likely delay next-gen. 

11 hours ago, Chindie said:

There's an extended discussion on the Bombcast this week about this. Apparently at a CDPR investor call last week someone straight up asked 'how did this pass certification', which lead to the podcast chatting about studios sometimes getting dispensation for games that are broken to allow them to hit release dates based largely on them saying 'we're working on it'.

Which is bullshit.

I have seen a lot of talk about certification, but it's not what people think it is.

Certification is not a "seal of approval". It is merely a process to make sure the game doesn't break the hardware it's running on, or act as a backdoor to let people into the deeper levels of the hardware/network. 

Certification is a list of rules that a game must hit to be uniform with every other game, for instance;

• Showcase the correct button labels.
  • Make sure plugging and unplugging the controller doesn't crash the game.
  • Make sure story critical stuff doesn't render off-screen.

Certification is not about making sure a game is good, nor is it about making sure a game works. Sony and Microsoft do not care that the main character is T-posing on a bike with their dick out. They don't care if textures render 15 seconds late. They don't care if the game crashes provided it's not every 10 minutes which would come under broken/unplayable.

As for dispensation this depends on what they request to be waivered. Each fail is a separate thing that can be waivered so I don't know what CDPR managed to waive, but I guarantee anything they did manage to waive was non-critical. 

Certification is 100% about standardisation and hardware safety, not at all about game quality. 

I could release a game tomorrow that doesn't work. Lets say "the player character always falls through the floor after taking exactly 6 steps, T-poses and blasts off into the sky", broken as shit right? But if my game doesn't brick the console and I pass every certification rule then I get a pass to release it. It is solely up to the developer/publisher to maintain the quality of the game. 

So for those looking at Sony and Microsoft for someone to blame, it's not on them. They have a certain way of working to protect their platforms in a way that allows them to work efficiently. Games, apps and patches all go through certification which is tens of thousands of items per year. They don't have the time to make sure the publisher is putting out a quality game, all they have time for is to make sure the game meets certain criteria and doesn't brick the console.

The blame is on CDPR and it has always been on CDPR. 

I'm playing it on PS5. I hadn't really had any major issues so far, just minor glitches and nothing affecting the gameplay. Downloaded update 1.05 and it crashed when entering a busy area.

It's such a shame because I really do think that it's a brilliant game. Slightly overwhelming at first but the longer I've played, the more it's pulled me in. It's such a brilliant open world with some great characters, so I really hope that all of the major issues are fixed in the next few updates as it's currently putting a real downer on what is deep down a great game.

I have just finished Cyberpunk 2077. I put around 80 hours into the game so this was a pretty thorough completion although I still have more to do if I so choose.

The words I'd used to sum up this game is "unfinished masterpiece."

This game when everything comes together is phenomenal. The writing for the most part is great, the main questline is fantastic and the side quests are some of the best I have ever played, the latter of which is capped off by the game having such a good cast of characters both side and main. This is a passion project and that is visible in every facet of this game, at least the parts of this game that work. Night City is one of the most fully realised locations I have ever seen in a game, it is up there with anything Rockstar Games have created and CDPR deserve credit for that.

Where they don't deserve credit is for how this game was managed. This game was woefully mismanaged and that is 100% on upper-management. For whatever reason those in charge wanted this game out after 3-4 years of development when it's clear that it needed 5-6 years. This isn't a small project. This is a game made by an indie studio (a large indie studio) that was aiming to match, if not beat Rockstar Games for overall quality. You don't achieve that in 3-4 years and that should have been apparent to anyone in charge. I feel so bad for anyone on the dev team that is having their hard work disparaged online because of decisions out of their control. I also hope those on the dev team get to rectify these things post-launch via patches, DLC and Expansions, but I also hope they get to rectify these things in their own time and aren't crunched to living shit by the same upper-management that screwed them over. 

This is a game that in a year or two will be unrecognisable if CDPR put the work in as the spine of this game is great, it just needs a handful of implants at the ripperdoc to fully realise the developers vision.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

i think im about 75% through the story so far (after the Voodoo quests/completed all panam quests) - maybe 65% dunno?, but i have done tons of side quests/gigs, tons and tons.

I have had a few graphical glitches, but nothing game breaking, only had a major issue in one mission, which was solved by reloading (PC version).

I agree it has some minor issues as a game, but i also think with some patches, some love from CDPR and some quality DLC, this game will be a masterpiece.

i tried the mantis blade or monowire early game and really enjoyed it, since early game to now i specced in to max netrunner )intelligence/cool) with smart weapon support as needed, and the mantis blades.

a maxed netrunner is just insane, i can wipe out whole groups in the blink of an eye, and i think it feels....thematic?, to be a kick ass netrunner in.....cyberpunk?.

I tend to open up with multiple quickhack combos, then finish off anything i need with a smart gun or mantis blades.

So yeah, i can see many people are upset on old gen consoles or very poor PCs, but honestly i have found limited issues that are game breaking, and i honestly think this game will become a masterpiece if it gets some good TLC and DLC from CDPR.

i even think this will/could match the witcher 3, i am really really enjoying it, cyberpunk is a brilliant game imo. (subject to the above caveats)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 14/12/2020 at 21:55, Wainy316 said:

Well it doesn’t seem like the fully immersive RPG I was expecting.  I don’t have any interest or urge to do anything outside the main story.

The main quest line is definitely keeping me interested but I just feel like I’m paying a story driven action game at the mo.

i would strongly advise either doing Panam's or Judy's quest line(s) to completion also depending on your preference (they show up alongside the main (main) quest).

On 14/12/2020 at 16:10, Designer1 said:

This has been taken off my Xmas List for the time being - not gonna lie I'm pretty bloody disappointed.

if you have a decentish PC, i think you will be fine, it has been 95% ok on my PC.

if you mean console, yeah.....can see ur point.

16 hours ago, MaVilla said:

i would strongly advise either doing Panam's or Judy's quest line(s) to completion also depending on your preference (they show up alongside the main (main) quest).

Either?  Does that mean I can’t bonk both? 😁

28 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Either?  Does that mean I can’t bonk both? 😁

well ye both if u like :), i just mean you should do at least one, without spoilers, both have impact on the ending (in their own way & depending on your play through)

• Thanks 1

For those playing this on PC the latest patch (1.06) has removed the 8MB save file limit so you can now safely play the game without corrupting your save by merely playing the game too much. 

6 hours ago, Daweii said:

For those playing this on PC the latest patch (1.06) has removed the 8MB save file limit so you can now safely play the game without corrupting your save by merely playing the game too much. 

Ffs that was actually a bug? Face Palm GIF

Â