Cyberpunk 2077

Chindie

Cyberpunk's biggest problem is CDPR announced it way too early and then put themselves in a position where they felt they had to release it even though it was clearly nowhere near ready and equally far too ambitious for a rapidly aging console generation.

It's ultimately done them no good to release it when they did. It's trashed their reputation, the game is almost a punchline, and the marketing for it has been blown out of the water. At this point it basically needs a second 'release window' but 'it works now, honest!' is a bloody hard sell...

14 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

i see your points, to be honest Witcher 3 was glitchy at release and turned in to a masterpiece, but that wasnt "expected" so it was allowed to develop and CDPR werent hung for it.

I think Cyberpunks single biggest problem overall, is that it didnt, and probably never could have......lived up to the levels of hype and desire that many people had while waiting for this game.

Not gonna lie, i loved Witcher 3 and probably hoped a little too hard for Cyberpunk 2077, i do think Cyberpunk is a very good game, but i also think the problem is that we all (or most) hoped it would be an 11/10 next generation of game, taking the genre to an entirely new level, and CDPR fed the hype tbh......and in reality....it was on to a loser even before all of the problems arose, as it just.....was never gonna live up to the expectations.

I would say my biggest issue with it might be that it has me questioning if I even enjoy western style RPGs

Fallout 3 got away with it but 4 didn't, I enjoyed the witcher but cyberpunk doesn't hit that high, I didn't enjoy skyrim

The inventory management, weight management, the volume of absolute guff that you can pick up, the mods, the customisation, the crafting, the blurred lines between main missions and side missions etc the ability to do everything and go everywhere...it just leaves me a bit cold if I'm honest 

There's so much in this game and to this game and I'm not sure i would say it does any of those elements particularly well 

• 8 months later...

Only played for a couple of hours so far and am enjoying it, granted I’m playing on series X but the only weird things I’ve encountered so far are the regular duplicating of npc’s right next to each other and being unable to turn off the car radio.

The graphics are good but don’t blow me away, I have to admit (on the series x at least) I was expecting better visuals and in quality mode it does looks better but performance seems absolute cack. In performance mode it seems rock solid and looks good so I’ll go with that.

Not a glowing tribute so far and while I wouldn’t say I’m massively enjoying it as only just started, at least I can say I am looking forward to getting stuck into it a bit more. 

Edited by Ingram85

14 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Only played for a couple of hours so far and am enjoying it, granted I’m playing on series X but the only weird things I’ve encountered so far are the regular duplicating of npc’s right next to each other and being unable to turn off the car radio.

The graphics are good but don’t blow me away, I have to admit (on the series x at least) I was expecting better visuals and in quality mode it does looks better but performance seems absolute cack. In performance mode it seems rock solid and looks good so I’ll go with that.

Not a glowing tribute so far and while I wouldn’t say I’m massively enjoying it as only just started, at least I can say I am looking forward to getting stuck into it a bit more. 

I don't think the 'Next-Gen' version of Cyberpunk is out yet. So you're essentially playing the Xbox One version with a boost to FPS. 

14 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

The next-gen upgrades aren't out until next year. All you're playing on Series X is the Xbox One version which was terrible. Some patches have been released to make it "less" terrible, but the visuals you are seeing are last-gen console visuals. Series X and PS5 get native versions in early/mid-2022. 

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, dubbs said:

Rumours that the next gen version of this could be released this week.   CDP are doing at steam today. 

Update available now. Will be interested to see how it is. Big emphasis on visuals and extra content but I’m more interested in quashing of glitches and bugs. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

Update available now. Will be interested to see how it is. Big emphasis on visuals and extra content but I’m more interested in quashing of glitches and bugs. 

20 quid atm so I took a punt on it not being a bug riddled mess still.

Been playing for a few hours now on v1.5 and really not seeing much of a difference from a technical standpoint. I want to see the bells and whistles this apparent next gen update offers and I switch back and forth from performance to ray tracing, turn on all the graphics stuff and turn them off again and outside of a stark difference between 60fps and 30fps I don’t see a difference at all. I’ll just stick to performance mode. It looks no different to before the new patch. People still do weird things, cars drive mentally etc… Its still so full of odd little glitches and janky weirdness.

The texture filtering/loading is atrocious at times. I can walk 5 yards left to right and watch walls/kerbs phase in and out of existence. Little bits of pop in here and there just break that immersion just the same as before. It all still feels so plastic and full of set dressing. 

The menus are a confusing mess, the structure is incoherent. Menus or in game it doesn’t matter, the screen is always full of icons, waypoints and nonsense. No idea what I’m doing or where I’m going. Thought I’d drive out of the city into the countryside and nope, I get turned around gta 3 (2001) style as im not allowed there yet. 

It’s such a bizarre game and I think many deep seated jank issues are too far embedded in the code for them to do anything about it. At its base the core is too rotten. The code is not redeemable enough. It’s not a user friendly game and so far for me it’s just not fun at all. It’s **** weird and seems to want to go out of its way to confuse me. Performance mode for me with the graphics stuff turned off is the way to go for solid/smooth 4K/60 and while it’s night and day between what we got initially and what we have now the fact this is massively improved from whatever dumpster fire launched says it all really.

YMMV, this is stable and playable now but for me they can polish this up as much as they like, imo it’s a miss. I’ll keep going and hope that it starts clicking. 

Edited by Ingram85
  • Thanks 1

@Ingram85 that's really interesting because I haven't played it up until the new PS5 upgrade and I thought it looked amazing in the very first section.

I haven't even got to the city yet though so I'm assuming thats where more of the issues occur?

The Cyberpunk subreddit seems to be very positive about the latest update (the redefined skill trees have been well received) so hopefully if I do come across any jankiness it won't be too severe.

7 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

@Ingram85 that's really interesting because I haven't played it up until the new PS5 upgrade and I thought it looked amazing in the very first section.

I haven't even got to the city yet though so I'm assuming thats where more of the issues occur?

The Cyberpunk subreddit seems to be very positive about the latest update (the redefined skill trees have been well received) so hopefully if I do come across any jankiness it won't be too severe.

I thought the same at the start. Once it slows down and you’re left to your own devices you see the world they created for what it is. The longer you play it the more hollow it feels. It’s hard to explain. Maybe I’m being harsh on it. Maybe it’s because I’m struggling to get to grips with the mechanics/menu systems. Im just not enjoying it and it’s bizarre little quirks and glitches just start to grate after a little bit. It’s annoying as I really really want to like it. 

• Like 1

I'm really enjoying it,  great to see the improvements made since the previous gen version.   Story is all over the place and so made potential side quests but there's something about it that I like. 

• 2 months later...

Picked up when the 1.5 patch dropped (Series X) and I'm bloody loving it.  Probably over 75 hours in now, just about to hit the level cap and I've still not finished the main quest.  I'm glad I didn't see the game when it was a technical mess, and even now it's pretty clear that stuff was cut, stuff isn't finished and the game was overly ambitious, but damn, Night City is amazing, some of the characters were incredible and I'm really gonna be sad when it's all over.  Let's just see how much longer I can put off doing the final quest for. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The_Rev said:

Picked up when the 1.5 patch dropped (Series X) and I'm bloody loving it.  Probably over 75 hours in now, just about to hit the level cap and I've still not finished the main quest.  I'm glad I didn't see the game when it was a technical mess, and even now it's pretty clear that stuff was cut, stuff isn't finished and the game was overly ambitious, but damn, Night City is amazing, some of the characters were incredible and I'm really gonna be sad when it's all over.  Let's just see how much longer I can put off doing the final quest for. 

Haven't put in as many hours as you Nays, but that is pretty much my experience with it too.

Really glad I didn't play it before it was all 'fixed' for the PS5 update as I think in it's present state it's a **** good game. The city is definitely one of the best virtual playgrounds I've spent some time in, and as you say there's some great characters roaming around.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Ok this is all the fault of you guys in here, but I went and got this game on the basis of your enjoyment. This is despite the fact that I am physically incapable of playing FPS games. I can't aim you see. My cursor flicks from one side of the screen to the other like a metronome, only briefly scanning over my intended target. Bullets fly like every target is an agent in the matrix, entire clips are emptied with all the impact of an sclub 7 lyric. 

Despite this I'm still enjoying myself. I stuck all my points in becoming a cyber samurai. I just have to fill my screen with my opponent and spam the hit button.  I'm an FPS badass. I've had one crash that made me very glad I'm not epileptic, but other than that it's a real fun world to role play in so long as the answer to the question is turning everything into squishy lumps of flesh with blades.

• Like 1

I thought a lot of the bugs had been resolved in this?  Is really hard to enjoy it when you're in a gun battle and the guy you're firing at suddenly teleports around!

How is the game compared to its release state?

I've already completed the game but I thought the open world was just a shitty GTA rip-off (and a lifeless one at that) so I rushed through the story. I feel like I should give it another chance though. Is the world more 'alive'? 

It's a shame because this was the most I've looked forward to a game for a long time and I built a new PC in preparation for it.

Â