Israel, Palestine and Iran

Swerbs

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

Just to chip in with my own thinkings, wouldn’t ‘jewishness’ or any religiousness just as easily be described as cultural?

People will identify as Jewish or Hindu or Scottish or whatever and perhaps what some of them are doing is holding on to some cultural heritage. Scots living their lives in London, Hindus that drink or Jews that do whatever they shouldn’t. They’re not ‘really’ that thing they label themselves as in any pedantic or prescriptive way, they’ve just decided they are ‘label x’ but than largely make up their own rules.

Don’t mean to nitpick or go off topic but I don’t think it’s Strongly forbidden to drink alcohol in Hinduism. It is in Islam though.

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think if you have Jewish heritage you will most likely have some sort of affection towards Israel. Regardless of whether you identify yourself as Jewish or not.

No. It’s not automatic.

There are jews that are vehemently against Israel on religious grounds.

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think if you have Jewish heritage you will most likely have some sort of affection towards Israel. Regardless of whether you identify yourself as Jewish or not.

Israel is fundamental to being Jewish for many Jews. For others, 'Israel' isn't necessarily the state of Israel, but more of a concept. For others, they don't give a ****. And for others, they're actively opposed to it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Don’t mean to nitpick or go off topic but I don’t think it’s Strongly forbidden to drink alcohol in Hinduism. It is in Islam though.

It depends on the particular sect, just like Christianity. A catholic can legit be a total piss head, a Methodist not so much.

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Really? Fair enough. 

Not photoshopped:

Members_of_Neturei_Karta_Orthodox_Jewish

Haredi sect do not believe in Israel as a political state. They oppose secular Zionism and campaign to have Israel scrapped, believing the Jews cannot have their own state until after the return of the messiah.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

It depends on the particular sect, just like Christianity. A catholic can legit be a total piss head, a Methodist not so much.

Not photoshopped:

Haredi sect do not believe in Israel as a political state. They oppose secular Zionism and campaign to have Israel scrapped, believing the Jews cannot have their own state until after the return of the messiah.

7 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Israel is fundamental to being Jewish for many Jews. For others, 'Israel' isn't necessarily the state of Israel, but more of a concept. For others, they don't give a ****. And for others, they're actively opposed to it.

This is why I love VT off topic so much. Every days a school day :)

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Out of interest does anyone know any younger generation Israelis? 

If so is there a change in mentality between the generations? 

I was good friends at uni with an Israeli Jew. Ok, we only did it once but managed to stay friends to this day.

Her grandparents and extended family were Zionists who moved there in '48 from Europe (some liberated from camps.) Sadly lots of the family (her grandfather in particular,) died deeply disappointed in what had become of the Zionist state. They felt it had become a right wing state completely saturated by the military-industrial complex as oppose to the egalitarian rather hippy-dippy utopia that was imagined and hoped would evolve.

4 hours ago, Chindie said:

Jewishness is difficult. Even Jewish people themselves argue who is and isn't a Jew. There are undoubtedly Jewish people out there that simply converted, but equally there's a lot of Jews that would argue you can't 'become' a Jew, and only people born of a Jewish mother are Jews.

And undoubtedly that's true of Jewish people as well - the numbers of Jewish people who are atheist, who've binned the rules, but still identify as Jewish is enormous. But the difficulty with Jewishness is that it also does a genuine race aspect. You are able to do DNA tests of people and identify that they are descended from a group of people who were associated with Judaism. To make it more complicated, you can identify multiple races of Jewish people, and there's actually historically been racism between these races of Jewish people.

Hence Jewishness is complicated. It usually gets called an 'ethnoreligion' because it has elements of religion, culture, ethnicity and race. It isn't 'just' a religion, it's a people. And it isn't a people. It's a race, and it's 3 races, and it's not a race. It's a culture, and it's more than that.

flX.gif

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Not photoshopped:

When I was reading this my mind was going, "reasonable, reasonable, reasonable, reas... Oh FFS Come on!"

• Like 1

18 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

I was good friends at uni with an Israeli Jew. Ok, we only did it once but managed to stay friends to this day.

Her grandparents and extended family were Zionists who moved there in '48 from Europe (some liberated from camps.) Sadly lots of the family (her grandfather in particular,) died deeply disappointed in what had become of the Zionist state. They felt it had become a right wing state completely saturated by the military-industrial complex as oppose to the egalitarian rather hippy-dippy utopia that was imagined and hoped would evolve.

What was her thought's on the 2 state solution? Assuming you're not 70 years old here :D

Remember personally when I studied I lived briefly with a palestinian girl. The stories about how she had to go through check points to get to school made a lasting impression. Basically the israelis did their best to make sure they couldn't have normal lives. I think she studied at Universities still in the parts of palestine that was recently occupied, so I am not sure how that is working out now. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Â