Israel, Palestine and Iran

Swerbs

58 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

To be perfectly honest I am kinda amazed UEFA allows the FA to bring Remembrance Day into the league as it does. 

Its not like this is a UK only phenomenon, its not even just Commonwealth Countries either. France, Germany, Belgium, Denmark and more besides all have their own version

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Nowhere near as nasty as the abuse she's recieved in the last to years

Though that T-Shirt today is unthinking idiocy

I don't know. She's knowingly poked the hornets nest again and again. She's also done the downright dirty stuff, the posting misleading videos edited to mislead stuff.

She's basically become a troll at best and a source of disinformation at worst.

3 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I don't know. She's knowingly poked the hornets nest again and again. She's also done the downright dirty stuff, the posting misleading videos edited to mislead stuff.

She's basically become a troll at best and a source of disinformation at worst.

Its just another example of views becoming entrenched due to the abuse imo, She started out genuinely shocked by Anti-Semitic posters in London Bus Stops. She got abused for her opinions, and off it went.

She actually describes herself as an atheist of Jewish heritage

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, bickster said:

Its not like this is a UK only phenomenon, its not even just Commonwealth Countries either. France, Germany, Belgium, Denmark and more besides all have their own version

That's fair enough. It's equally wrong to me. 

6 minutes ago, bickster said:

Its just another example of views becoming entrenched due to the abuse imo, She started out genuinely shocked by Anti-Semitic posters in London Bus Stops. She got abused for her opinions, and off it went.

She actually describes herself as an atheist of Jewish heritage

Nah, I don't buy that. She's doubled down and doubled down again and again. She shouldn't have got the abuse she got initially, but since then she's just courted it again and again with complete nonsense. She compared Corbyn to Nazis for pities sake. She posted a video of him recalling talking to Palestinian kids asking them why people turned to suicide bombing and claimed it was him justifying it, when you'd have to be **** stupid to watch the video and make that conclusion. She hates Corbyn because he is critical of Israel, and that's it.

Her atheism is irrelevant. She identifies as Jewish. That's all there is to it. She's Jewish.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chindie said:

She identifies as Jewish. That's all there is to it. She's Jewish.

No she doesn't, She identifies as an Atheist of Jewish Heritage, that is her, identifying herself but that is an entirely silly argument not worth bothering with

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

No she doesn't, She identifies as an Atheist of Jewish Heritage, that is her, identifying herself but that is an entirely silly argument not worth bothering with

Jewishness is more than a religion.

8 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I guess that would depend on what you think I'd be agreeing with her on. That the sky is blue? Water is wet?

That jewishness is more than a religion, hence the reason why she identifies as she does.

I'm not sure I agree so much. But I think all religion is essentially a lifestyle choice and where it isn't it would be abusive

Just to chip in with my own thinkings, wouldn’t ‘jewishness’ or any religiousness just as easily be described as cultural?

People will identify as Jewish or Hindu or Scottish or whatever and perhaps what some of them are doing is holding on to some cultural heritage. Scots living their lives in London, Hindus that drink or Jews that do whatever they shouldn’t. They’re not ‘really’ that thing they label themselves as in any pedantic or prescriptive way, they’ve just decided they are ‘label x’ but than largely make up their own rules.

29 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Just to chip in with my own thinkings, wouldn’t ‘jewishness’ or any religiousness just as easily be described as cultural?

People will identify as Jewish or Hindu or Scottish or whatever and perhaps what some of them are doing is holding on to some cultural heritage. Scots living their lives in London, Hindus that drink or Jews that do whatever they shouldn’t. They’re not ‘really’ that thing they label themselves as in any pedantic or prescriptive way, they’ve just decided they are ‘label x’ but than largely make up their own rules.

I sort of agree with this too. It's no different to me identifying as Welsh. Brought up by two parents who were Welsh, spent a good third of my childhood in Wales but in reality born and brought up in the West Midlands. But with it being a religion it slightly blurs the lines a couple of degrees

1 minute ago, bickster said:

I sort of agree with this too. It's no different to me identifying as Welsh. Brought up by two parents who were Welsh, spent a good third of my childhood in Wales but in reality born and brought up in the West Midlands. But with it being a religion it slightly blurs the lines a couple of degrees

Don’t worry, Welsh is a very broad religion, with minimal penalties for transgressions. All are welcome.

I’ve heard myself identify as a good Methodist boy.

It’s usually about 3:00am when that one rolls out.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, bickster said:

That jewishness is more than a religion, hence the reason why she identifies as she does.

I'm not sure I agree so much. But I think all religion is essentially a lifestyle choice and where it isn't it would be abusive

On that front I'd agree with Riley. 

Jewishness is difficult. Even Jewish people themselves argue who is and isn't a Jew. There are undoubtedly Jewish people out there that simply converted, but equally there's a lot of Jews that would argue you can't 'become' a Jew, and only people born of a Jewish mother are Jews.

I'd agree with @chrisp65 that a great many faiths ultimately transcend the religion aspect and become culture - there's Muslims out there that don't pray, that smoke and drink, who would say they are Muslim, because that's their background. And undoubtedly that's true of Jewish people as well - the numbers of Jewish people who are atheist, who've binned the rules, but still identify as Jewish is enormous. But the difficulty with Jewishness is that it also does a genuine race aspect. You are able to do DNA tests of people and identify that they are descended from a group of people who were associated with Judaism. To make it more complicated, you can identify multiple races of Jewish people, and there's actually historically been racism between these races of Jewish people.

Hence Jewishness is complicated. It usually gets called an 'ethnoreligion' because it has elements of religion, culture, ethnicity and race. It isn't 'just' a religion, it's a people. And it isn't a people. It's a race, and it's 3 races, and it's not a race. It's a culture, and it's more than that.

There are some that would argue that 'denigrating' it to solely a religious choice is anti-Semitic.

• Like 1

Â