Marvel Cinematic Universe

mikeyp102

Caught up with moon Knight, still struggling with a lack of understanding as to what it's meant to be and where its going but that was a really good episode, OI was superb and now with the context all is forgiven for the dodgy accent! Even that works 

I do like that in the MCU the wackiness of ancient gods sits perfectly fine

Dr Strange 2 initial reactions are out.

Common thoughts seem to be it's very much a Raimi movie with his style all over it, it is horror tinged (with some comments that it's a bit like the gateway drug to horror movies - it has jump scares etc), there's a lot going on, it has some absolutely visually stunning moments, Olsen steals the film, it's a bit messy and rushed to the extent it's literally just plot exposition being told to you for the next sequence, it isn't quite top tier MCU but it has a lot of secrets/surprises and it's very unique in the series.

• Like 2

Solid ending to Moon Knight. Not amazing but decent. 

The series acts as an origin really for what Moon Knight generally is, with a few tweaks. And sets up things I approve of for any possible future appearance.

Enjoyed the last episode of Moon Knight.

Spoiler

Confirmed my suspicions that that was Jake in episode 1 and not Marc. Still a little uncertain how all three souls were in the Duat but only Marc and Stephen made it back through the Gates of Osiris yet Jake somehow is still "alive" too? I guess we'll learn about more to do with Jake next season and how he manifested (presumably because of the abuse) yet somehow Marc wasn't aware of him even as the Prime Alter? I assume Jake's willingness to kill and take vengeance will not find a compromise with Marc and Steven's calmer and more rational personalities. I did like how Steven and Marc used their reconciliation to work together. 

Sad we won't see Ethan Hawke back though. Really enjoyed seeing him in a Marvel production even if it felt weird.

All in all really enjoyed it and hope season 2 of it is made soon. Mohammed Diab did a great job as did Oscar Isaac and Ethan Hawke and May Calamawy. F Murray Abraham has the perfect voice for Khonshu

Saw Dr Strange today in IMAX. I genuinely don't get the negative reactions and reviews. I loved it. Very Raimi in places. The Illuminati had me smiling like a Cheshire cat, one appearance had the lad next me nearly falling off his chair and people ghasping and applauding. I was buzzing when I got out the cinema. Wanted to go straight back in and see it again and am definitely going a second time. Loved it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stewiek2 said:

Saw Dr Strange today in IMAX. I genuinely don't get the negative reactions and reviews. I loved it.

Very Raimi in places. The Illuminati had me smiling like a Cheshire cat, one appearance had the lad next me nearly falling off his chair and people ghasping and applauding. I was buzzing when I got out the cinema. Wanted to go straight back in and see it again and am definitely going a second time. Loved it.

Are there negative reviews and reactions?

88% on Rotten Tomatoes and even the critics are at 75%.

76% on IMDB as well.

On 03/05/2022 at 18:14, Chindie said:

Dr Strange 2 initial reactions are out.

Common thoughts seem to be it's very much a Raimi movie with his style all over it, it is horror tinged (with some comments that it's a bit like the gateway drug to horror movies - it has jump scares etc), there's a lot going on, it has some absolutely visually stunning moments, Olsen steals the film, it's a bit messy and rushed to the extent it's literally just plot exposition being told to you for the next sequence, it isn't quite top tier MCU but it has a lot of secrets/surprises and it's very unique in the series.

Saw it this afternoon. That would pretty much have been my review although it was thoroughly enjoyable. Knowing it was Raimi, I expected it to be visually impressive but a bit messy. It was on both counts but very enjoyable. 
As you say, not top tier but still very good. 

Well...

...I will never, ever tire of Sam Raimi torturing Bruce Campbell.

I flat-out lost count of the Evil Dead nods (well, headbutts, really), plus all the other standard Raimi-fare.

I didn't catch the Oldsmobile cameo though (I'm assuming there must have been one).

Two thumbs waaaaaay up for Terminator Elizabeth Olsen, as well.

Edited by GarethRDR
  • Like 1

I saw DS today. It’s pretty decent. Id avoided a lot of the spoilers so was going in pretty blind. It’s very out there and off the chart. Not in top Marvel films, but probably about half way. I’ll have to rewatch as the Mrs hasn’t seen it yet, which I won’t mind doing. 

Spoiler

I was surprised at how evil they made Wanda, I also wasn’t expecting her to the main baddie, I thought it would be Mordo. It was good to see how powerful they made Scarlett Witch, the way she ripped through Illuminati was very impressive. I’m hoping we get her back and that she didn’t die at the end.

Im surprised that we didn’t get a tie in with Kang, so surprised we didn’t see that. 

It was good little cameos, although I don’t want Patrick Stewart (or any of the fox studio x men actors) to be in the main universe. When they eventually go down the mutant route I want a fresh start. 

Krasinski doing the role everyone wanted him to do. I think he’ll be back. 

Really enjoyed Doctor Strange.

A couple of things. First, it's a VERY Raimi movie. If you have any kind of familiarity with his work you'll be ticking boxes throughout.

Second, I don't think it's a superhero movie. To me it's very much a Fantasy horror movie set in the MCU.

And all the better for it imo.

• Like 3

Apparently Bryce Dallas Howard is in final talks to direct Fantastic Four. Krasinski has opted to star and take an executive producer role. Some reports are saying Shelly also have a role in the film. Her Mando episodes were great as were the Mando episode on Book of Boba. 

Going back to Dr Strange MOM, a few things that on reflection I don’t think they did that well. 

Spoiler

The Minotaur fella, I’ve just read his background. We had nothing in him in the film, and too be honest it made no sense having him there. There has been no mention of inter dimensional characters living in earth. Seems like he was just shoe horned in as he’s a character from Dr S comics. 

Secondly, when in the multiverse Dr S comes across Mordo he states that they are enemies in his timeline. Again apart from a small little aspect (when he is disgruntled with the Sorceror Supreme for using  Dark Power) at the end of the first Dr S film we haven’t really seen much of that, and I felt it was overstated here. 

26 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Going back to Dr Strange MOM, a few things that on reflection I don’t think they did that well. 

Hide contents

The Minotaur fella, I’ve just read his background. We had nothing in him in the film, and too be honest it made no sense having him there. There has been no mention of inter dimensional characters living in earth. Seems like he was just shoe horned in as he’s a character from Dr S comics. 

Secondly, when in the multiverse Dr S comes across Mordo he states that they are enemies in his timeline. Again apart from a small little aspect (when he is disgruntled with the Sorceror Supreme for using  Dark Power) at the end of the first Dr S film we haven’t really seen much of that, and I felt it was overstated here. 

It was more played out regards Mordo in the post-credits scene in the first one.

1 hour ago, stewiek2 said:

It was more played out regards Mordo in the post-credits scene in the first one.

Yeah I know, but it wasn’t really built on. For him to say that in the film I’d expect more between them.

Kevin Feige and the writers of Multiverse of Madness have said that the spare chair in the Illuminati was for Tony Stark. The reason he's not in it is because of lockdowns and such they couldn't schedule Tom Cruise to film his scenes, so they had to change the script. They also said they're using the same film pacing build ups as with the Infinity Saga to reach Secret Wars

1 hour ago, stewiek2 said:

Kevin Feige and the writers of Multiverse of Madness have said that the spare chair in the Illuminati was for Tony Stark. The reason he's not in it is because of lockdowns and such they couldn't schedule Tom Cruise to film his scenes, so they had to change the script. They also said they're using the same film pacing build ups as with the Infinity Saga to reach Secret Wars

Where did you see this?

Â