New Manager Speculation

maqroll

4 hours ago, hippo said:

Lets think about that ? - We probably have the biggest fanbase in the division , are generally still seen as big club - there were 35k, watching Villa v Sheffield ? - Are you seriously suggesting there is no alternative to a guy who has never managed a team in his life ? 

I'm not suggesting there are no alternatives.  Far from it.  I'm interested in what your alternatives might be though.

PS - Rodgers doesn't fancy it.  Now what?

I am so tired of the **** we have experienced over the last 9/10 years that I would be happy to see Henry and Terry. Henry may get the best out of our attack/midfield and we know Terry’s motivational and defensive skills. That said we need defenders from somewhere whoever comes in. 

Edited by MikeMcKenna
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, praisedmambo said:

Rubbish. We lost by far our best player the summer before he came in and had no investment whatsoever. We finished three positions lower. Houllier 'destroyed' nothing. Do you remember starting the season with a CM of Hogg and Bannan?There's hyperbole and then there's hyperbole.

There were people relishing criticising Houllier at the time and I'd have hoped the utter shit state we've dwindled to would have offered some perspective. 

I hope our new managers don't get the same ride!

The Houllier hatred really was hysteria.  I remember us smashing Blackburn 4-1 at Villa Park and thinking how bright things could be under Houllier.  MON’s style was not a million miles away from Bruce’s, just with a bit more pace and some better players.  Houllier did well to transition as much as he did.

• Like 1

Just now, NurembergVillan said:

I'm not suggesting there are no alternatives.  Far from it.  I'm interested in what your alternatives might be though.

PS - Rodgers doesn't fancy it.  Now what?

I didn't fancy Rodger's either....dodged bullet IMO

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, allani said:

Henry is in a much worse situation (i.e. the club is 15th in the Championship and floundering, the squad is hugely unbalanced, etc) but I agree that means that it is probably a better time to take over and take a new approach.  I think fans will be patient at least through to the end of January as long as we show some signs of improvement (in performance or approach) and stay clear of the relegation battle.  I don't know what the minimum requirement will be when we come towards the end of the season though - will we be content with avoiding relegation, avoiding the relegation battle, bottom half or top half but outside play-offs?  You could argue that any of the above would have been classed as failure by Bruce - my sense was that SB would have got us finishing somewhere between 8th and 14th, probably finishing top half with a couple of decent spells of results.  So should that become the minimum requirement for any new manager (regardless of who it might be)?  Hopefully this is a moot point as the new regime will herald in improved results and performances that make us all happy.

since the start of the season, we have gradually got worse, culminating in poor performances in the last 2 games against bottom of the table teams.

something has/had gone wrong.....i am not going to speculate on that.....but was it going to get worse....you say 8th and 14th.....I have no idea, but my bet, it was getting gradually worse.....there was no hint of an arrest.

Change was inevitable.....we now need to embrace that change.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4565888/Top-20-successful-players-turned-managers-time.html

There's a list of 20 successful top players turned managers. (I'm sure there will be hundreds more)

As I'm now getting tired of the generic "What so because he was a good player he will be a good manager?"

Again, for every Zola etc there is a Zidane.

Just like for every Sunderland there is a Wolves or Watford!

We always seem to spin narratives literally based on our personal feelings.

Some of our fans are just as old fashioned, uncreative and uninspiring as our players, management and boards have been for the last decade ffs.

No wonder we ain't evolved.

Agree. We spend far too much time looking backward, the cub does, the fans. It's been the same since the 1980s. We end up looking over our shoulder as others pass us by. Time to be different, time to try and do something new.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dick said:

Agree. We spend far too much time looking backward, the cub does, the fans. It's been the same since the 1980s. We end up looking over our shoulder as others pass us by. Time to be different, time to try and do something new.

Have a like Dick. 

• Like 1

The only reason I'm concerned about us taking a risk on Henry is because it's us. If something can turn to shit it usually does.

Saying that I'm still very excited and at least we're taking a chance on something different. I'm also looking forward to seeing what happens from a transfer perspective.

• Like 1

Although I can understand some people’s reservations, I think some common sense has to be used as well.

Okay he has no experience at being a football manager, however he has worked as an assistant manager so how big is that step up? Not that much I’m guessing. 

He needs to sort the defence out, which will be glaringly obvious but he has no defensive tactical knowledge..... course he bloody does! Playing Sunday league you’d learn a bit about how the defence of a football team works, imagine what you learn playing from playing for France, Barca and arsenal!

To think because he has no experience means he is the wrong choice is so naive it’s insane, let’s just get behind the idea of this appointment and collectively be excited! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, westholmevillan said:

Pep doesn't need to organise a defence...he simply outscores the opposition...and we'll be doing that too with Henry in charge!

Am I the only one who thought Wenger was actually a top class defence organiser? 

Yep in the invincible season they only conceded 26 goals, the least of all the teams in the premier league, so pretty good defensive coach.

Edited by Tommo_b