New Manager Speculation

maqroll

18 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Would be brilliant if we could get him here one day, and give him the funds.

You damn right.

Trouble ahead at Newcastle and I doubt Rafa will put up with another year of shit like last season.

Plus it looks like the whole takeover has stalled too.

29 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Would be brilliant if we could get him here one day, and give him the funds.

It would. But it won't happen while we're in the Championship

33 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

You damn right.

Trouble ahead at Newcastle and I doubt Rafa will put up with another year of shit like last season.

Plus it looks like the whole takeover has stalled too.

Would love it if he came here (almost a guarantee of becoming an established PL side again) but it just seems so unlikely. He won’t be short on offers and many will appear to be more attractive unless the owners can convince him he will be able to spend lavishly once we go up ?

21 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Would love it if he came here (almost a guarantee of becoming an established PL side again) but it just seems so unlikely. He won’t be short on offers and many will appear to be more attractive unless the owners can convince him he will be able to spend lavishly once we go up ?

Imagine the fury from VT when he gets us up and keeps us in the Premier League by prioritising defensive football like he did with newcastle last season ;) 

Edited by Stevo985

10 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Imagine the fury from VT when he gets us up and keeps us in the Premier League by prioritising defensive football like he did with newcastle last season ;) 

He would still be 150% improvement over the clown we currently have in charge.

12 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

He's not a boring name, British manager - so no chance ;) 

3 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

He would still be 150% improvement over the clown we currently have in charge.

Wasn't the point I was making, but I absolutely agree. In fact 150% is a understatement. Benitez is a far better manager than Bruce.

Part of the reason there is no chance of him coming here while we're in the Championship

Rafa is a great manager but his football can be as bad as Steve Bruce's at times. They played City last season at home and Shelvey shot from kick off while whole team went into defensive mode which they stayed for the entire game. Even when losing

22 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Rafa is a great manager but his football can be as bad as Steve Bruce's at times. They played City last season at home and Shelvey shot from kick off while whole team went into defensive mode which they stayed for the entire game. Even when losing

Their whole campaign was like that.

That's not a criticism, I've long advocated that good football is the football that gets the best out of a team, and Rafa did that no question last season. They were brilliant.

But I wonder if the posters who insist they care more about Villa playing "good football" than anything else would be as vocal if it was Rafa playing that way? I suspect not.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

That's not a criticism, I've long advocated that good football is the football that gets the best out of a team, and Rafa did that no question last season. They were brilliant.

But I wonder if the posters who insist they care more about Villa playing "good football" than anything else would be as vocal if it was Rafa playing that way? I suspect not.

I think you’re right, no matter how much people, me included, want attractive football, results always override everything else. The criticism of Steve Bruce tends to focus on the negative style of play, but only reaches a crescendo when results are bad. For my own part, yes I’d prefer more attacking football, that doesn’t make me unique of course, but my main concern is, that we don’t often control games. Without looking at the score, you couldn’t tell one performance from the next. Good teams control the game, either with or without the ball. 

41 minutes ago, Zatman said:

At least Rafa has a structure and a game plan to his dour football.  Steve Bruce just plays off the cuff dour football.

9 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I think you’re right, no matter how much people, me included, want attractive football, results always override everything else. The criticism of Steve Bruce tends to focus on the negative style of play, but only reaches a crescendo when results are bad. For my own part, yes I’d prefer more attacking football, that doesn’t make me unique of course, but my main concern is, that we don’t often control games. Without looking at the score, you couldn’t tell one performance from the next. Good teams control the game, either with or without the ball. 

While this may be completely true for most, I think it’s only about 80% true for me  I can feel better or worse about wins and losses if we have a strategy and clear plan that makes sense.   Playing down the wings and crossing the ball to Hogan makes no sense.  Trying to play for a quick counter when you haven’t got speed, doesn’t make sense.  Lose with a good plan and I can be more forgiving/accepting.  Win with a lousy plan and I’m not as happy because luck is not a good long term strategy. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I remember people turning their noses up at Rafa being our manager back in the day, possibly around the McLeish/Lambert days.  Mental when you think about it.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Jareth said:

Surely ambitious owners could lure Rafa in some off the books sweetener deal thingamyjig? Rafa plus our owners = huge ambitious project, just it starts off in the championship. 

Nothing to do with ambition.

Rafa is a VERY good manager. If he levaes Newcastle he'll have all sorts of clubs after him.

He won't be dropping down to the Championship to manage Aston Villa. The only reason he managed here before was because he dropped down with Newcastle.

It's no wonder people want Bruce gone if they think we can attract managers like Rafa to replace him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Nothing to do with ambition.

Rafa is a VERY good manager. If he levaes Newcastle he'll have all sorts of clubs after him.

He won't be dropping down to the Championship to manage Aston Villa. The only reason he managed here before was because he dropped down with Newcastle.

It's no wonder people want Bruce gone if they think we can attract managers like Rafa to replace him.

What? There's next to no chance of Rafa coming here? Thanks for clarifying. 

22 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

I remember people turning their noses up at Rafa being our manager back in the day, possibly around the McLeish/Lambert days.  Mental when you think about it.

think people were still a bit pissed off about the Barry thing

23 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

I seem to recall he was regularly dismissed as the “SFW” and probably labelled “clown” in the same foolish way our current manager is.

Hey ho, grass is always greener etc.