Extra Terrestrial Life. Do you believe?

Mr_Dogg

Do you believe in Extra Terrestrial Life?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe in Extra Terrestrial Life?

• Yes. It has to be out there.
    • No way.
    • I don't know.

This poll is closed to new votes

• 14 years later...

There is new science out that's suggesting that life as we know it may be even rarer than previously theorised. It's interesting. I still think there must be ET life, since this new finding posits merely a smaller portion of what is essentially infinity -- which is, essentially, still infinity? -- but still. Interesting:  

An Earth-like planet orbiting a red dwarf star, or ‘M dwarf,’ has been found to have had its atmosphere stripped away by intense radiation from its host star. The finding may help scientists narrow their search for extra-terrestrial life, as it suggests that planets orbiting other red dwarfs may also be rendered inhospitable by this star type.

That is, if we assume that aliens also need to breathe to metabolise. For the record, that is a fair assumption.

Red dwarfs are the most common star in the universe. They are about one tenth the diameter of our sun, but are still main sequence stars, meaning they fuse hydrogen atoms to form helium atoms in their cores. In fact, they are the smallest and coolest of the main sequence stars, reaching only around 2,000°C surface temperatures.

1 hour ago, Marka Ragnos said:

There is new science out that's suggesting that life as we know it may be even rarer than previously theorised. It's interesting. I still think there must be ET life, since this new finding posits merely a smaller portion of what is essentially infinity -- which is, essentially, still infinity? -- but still. Interesting:  

3ky5kmhg7x081.jpg?auto=webp&s=4a8ba740be

• Haha 2

"Extra Terrestrial Life. Do you believe?"

How certain am I of life on other planets either before,  now or in the future.  100%

Why?,  it's seems to be a mathematical certainty given the amount of time and space available and viewable from where we are (we can't see that far in relation to the size of space)

Earth exists with life just becasue all the levers that were required to create life were in the correct position for our planet.  Water,  Oxygen, Volcanic activity, the Sun and the moon are just a few of the ingredients that helped to get things going on our planet. The infinite nature of Space and the fact we live on well,  the very living proof of the variables all lining up means that as I type the first Extra Terrestrial Life on a planet or multiple has just sprung into action,  I hope so and I christen him "Gerald".

The alternative is to think we are Special and the only life in a universe that is so big it hurts to think about it.  I doubt this is how it is.

We will never find out unfortunately,  that's just the way it is.

• Like 1

It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited.

Therefore, there must be a finite number of inhabited worlds. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near to nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. 

From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely the products of a deranged imagination.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited.

Therefore, there must be a finite number of inhabited worlds. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near to nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. 

From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely the products of a deranged imagination.

Your maths fell apart here.   

If there is infinite space and infinite planets, and an infinitely small percentage of them are inhabited, then it follows there must be an infinite number of inhabited worlds.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Your maths fell apart here.   

If there is infinite space and infinite planets, and an infinitely small percentage of them are inhabited, then it follows there must be an infinite number of inhabited worlds.

I’m afraid you’ll have to take it up with Mr Adams.

• Haha 1

Extra-terrestrial life  ?

yes, if one describes microbials as "life"  ... intelligent life capable of communicating with us then probably No 

This stuff is way beyond my comprehension, but I think parts of our universe have something like a 9 bn year head start on us evolution wise  ..and yet we've not heard a squeak out of anyone 

I'm sure other options are available, but i guess the simplest ones are 

(Potential) intelligent life forms died out on goldilocks planets before they had a chance to evolve  i.e the Gaian Bottleneck

They evolved on the Kardashev Scale to Type V :) 

They destroyed each other billions of years ago 

They haven't evolved enough to be able to communicate/ they don't want to communicate

there aren't any 

it could be we haven't been listening long enough, but "we are alone" is seeming the most likely at this present moment 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

we are alone" is seeming the most likely at this present moment 

I disagree. How evolved life is on the trillions of other planets and stars, or which have any form of life or not cannot be known, but there is actual evidence of life elsewhere, so the individual probability for each planet/ star is incredibly remote, but collectively it’s not. Collectively I’d wager it’s more likely than not. 

NASA’s Curiosity rover has found new evidence preserved in rocks on Mars that suggests the planet could have supported ancient life, as well as new evidence in the Martian atmosphere that relates to the search for current life on the Red Planet. While not necessarily evidence of life itself, these findings are a good sign for future missions exploring the planet’s surface and subsurface.

NASA

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

and yet we've not heard a squeak out of anyone 

Yes and no,  even if they are out there,  nobody can ever communicate.

Even if we knew of a planet and its exact coordinates 200 light years away that has got intelligent life on it,  what then ?

There is no way at all to send a message and get a reply as far as I know.

i'm certain that there are other planets out there that are capable tor supporting life, and do. probably 100s of them

i'm also certain that regardless of how many planets are out there with life on them, even if man lives long enough to discover them before destroying this place (unlikely), that man will still not ever meet a bigger bellend than nigel farage

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

There just has to be life out there.Because there is no way you can have 1 billion planets and life on only one.

There are hundreds of billions of stars in our medium sized galaxy. There are hundreds of billions of galaxies.

Where did you get that number of planets from?

• Like 1

I think time is the biggest factor. Humans have been around somewhere between 2 and 6 million years, it's only been 70 years since we put a satellite in space. The earth has been around 4.5 b years and we have only been looking for 70. There will come a time when mankind no longer exists. Other planets will come and go, maybe some tried to contact us 2000 years ago or even 150 we wouldn't have known about it. So to have 2 planets with similar technology capabilities at the same time, well the odds would be ridiculous.

• Like 1

Anyone watching the latest series of Unsolved Mysteries would have questions about alien life. The show includes an episode on the 1994 Michigan UFO incident, where hundreds of people, including police, saw strange lights in the sky for hours, over a large area around Lake Michigan, moving at speeds and in manners that known aircraft couldn't, and was seen on radar for much of it.

It's very difficult to explain.

Edited by Chindie
  • Like 1

Â