Extra Terrestrial Life. Do you believe?

Mr_Dogg

Do you believe in Extra Terrestrial Life?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe in Extra Terrestrial Life?

• Yes. It has to be out there.
    • No way.
    • I don't know.

This poll is closed to new votes

Good, I like to cling to my thoughts of there being billions of points of energy in some extremely vast empty space that continually explode in big bangs, expand into universes, and then collapse upon themselves again. I haven't yet thought of what's outside THAT though ;)

So I'm standing at the VERY edge of the universe, and I mean as close as I can get to the edge and still be in it.

I then put out my arm straight in front of me, i.e. I reach into "nothing". What happens to my arm. Does it disappear, can it not go forward anymore, does it come out of my arse???

Your arm is part of the universe, so the universe would expand to contain you :P

Like it or not you cannot escape the universe, as you are a part of it.

So I'm standing at the VERY edge of the universe, and I mean as close as I can get to the edge and still be in it.

I then put out my arm straight in front of me, i.e. I reach into "nothing". What happens to my arm. Does it disappear, can it not go forward anymore, does it come out of my arse???

Your arm is part of the universe, so the universe would expand to contain you :P

Like it or not you cannot escape the universe, as you are a part of it.

my brain hurts

Good, I like to cling to my thoughts of there being billions of points of energy in some extremely vast empty space that continually explode in big bangs, expand into universes, and then collapse upon themselves again. I haven't yet thought of what's outside THAT though ;)

It's like the end of the film 'Men In Black'. We're inside a marble in a game of marbles being played by bigger aliens ... and so are they and so on and so forth :)

I've just done 2 days of debate with close minded religious people in another thread I can't do "Is there life on other worlds?"

I'll just give this thread one post and thats it.

If we can exist on this Planet then life can exist on any number of other planets. But since the exact combination of facors needed to create life is unknown and hence the odds of life existing given X amount of planets in the universe is also unknown. There is every chance life exists on millions of planets and there is every chance we are the only planet to support life. We cannot even give an educated guess as we have nothing to base that "educated guess" on.

So we have as little factual basis to base opinion on as Religious people have to base God on and so I can only say. I havent got any idea if there is life on other worlds so won't pretend to know. But I'd like to think there is life out there, the same way I'd like my lottery numbers to come up :)

I've just done 2 days of debate with close minded religious people in another thread I can't do "Is there life on other worlds?"

I'll just give this thread one post and thats it.

If we can exist on this Planet then life can exist on any number of other planets. But since the exact combination of facors needed to create life is unknown and hence the odds of life existing given X amount of planets in the universe is also unknown. There is every chance life exists on millions of planets and there is every chance we are the only planet to support life. We cannot even give an educated guess as we have nothing to base that "educated guess" on.

So we have as little factual basis to base opinion on as Religious people have to base God on and so I can only say. I havent got any idea if there is life on other worlds so won't pretend to know. But I'd like to think there is life out there, the same way I'd like my lottery numbers to come up :)

Not meaning to drag you into the debate or anything CV but just consider this - Different kinds of life might flourish in different conditions therefore our specific conditions may not be required for other types of life, meaning it is more likely that "There is every chance life exists on millions of planets" than "there is every chance we are the only planet to support life". Now if we're looking for other humans then that's a different discussion altogether - but we're not, we're just looking for other 'life'.

There are supposed to be more stars in the Universe than individual grains of sand on Earth. I cannot believe that none of those stars have planets in orbit which are capable of supporting life. If we take than into consideration along with the fact that many basic life forms can be found in the most unlikely places on Earth, I would bet my left testicle that there are many other life forms throughout the Universe. If that is true and I can continue having both balls attached then we can easily assume that some of those life forms have deveploed into something intelligent.

thinkerthumboj3.gif

Aliens, dark matter, string theory, gravity, entropy, bubble theory, the universe, the multiverse, light even... We're so guessing.

The world was flat a few hundred years ago.

Man's understanding is growing, aided by evolving computers. The progeny of our constructs may get it well before we do - if we are able to get it at all.

Then again I might be spouting bollocks.

Best policy - keep an open mind.

:winkold:

Edit - punctuation

it's a very interesting subject but I will find it hard to debate it on a second language, especially as there are some far more educated on this subject than I am myself. :P But I find it all but impossible that there are no toher intelligent life in the whole universe. Infinite or not.

On the subject that we have no evidence about other life forms elsewhere I will just say a couple of things. And anybody is welcome to correct me if I'm wrong.

Our galaxy, milky way, is about 100 000 light years from end to end, and our system is about 20000 light years from the one end, meaning the farest end away from us in this galaxy is 80000 light years away from us, meaning if there were any life there trying to contact us would take at least 80000 years with the technology we're aware of. That means that they had to start to contact us when we lived in caves to reach us now.

Further on the closest galaxy is the Andromeda galaxy 2 million ligth years away from us, and you all know what that mean by now. They had to start to contact us when we were formed as a specy to reach us by now. And that's our closest galaxy apart from our own. And that's not enough, they had to send it our way. And be well ahead of us in their evolution. And presuming they don't find it interesting ot explore their own galaxy first, before reaching for outer space.

Thinking about all that at least makes me think that the non-existing evidences of other intelligent life forms in universe means exactly nothing.

As Nick Rogers said, I find it almost arrogant to think we're the most intelligent life form in universe, not to say the only one.

contact us when we lived in caves to reach us now.

Oops, Creationist thread :P

Further on the closest galaxy is the Andromeda galaxy 2 million ligth years away from us. They had to start to contact us when we were formed as a specy to reach us by now.

Further to what you've said there. Our image as a 'specy' would only be reaching them now and our image as humans (~100k years ago) will only reach them in 1.9 million years so they're not even looking this way yet.

contact us when we lived in caves to reach us now.

Oops, Creationist thread :P

Further on the closest galaxy is the Andromeda galaxy 2 million ligth years away from us. They had to start to contact us when we were formed as a specy to reach us by now.

Further to what you've said there. Our image as a 'specy' would only be reaching them now and our image as humans (~100k years ago) will only reach them in 1.9 million years so they're not even looking this way yet.

Haven't read the creationist thread yet, so couldn't say. :P

But on the other quote you've surely got another point there that makes it even less imaginable that they would contact us. The distances between all the systems and galaxies are so big that it's hard to understand, but I think this way gives a hint about how big. In a little less than 2 million years possible inhabitants on a planet in the Andromeda galaxy might see us as an interesting life form to contact. And where are w then?

Will we ever develop like Star Trek? Warp speed and that?

It seems pretty impossible right now but you never know.

I'd like to be around to see it if it happens.

Contact with aliens with change the entire political landscape of the earth.

Not meaning to drag you into the debate or anything CV but just consider this - Different kinds of life might flourish in different conditions therefore our specific conditions may not be required for other types of life, meaning it is more likely that "There is every chance life exists on millions of planets" than "there is every chance we are the only planet to support life". Now if we're looking for other humans then that's a different discussion altogether - but we're not, we're just looking for other 'life'.

My point is we have no idea what combination of factors were required to create any life at all. Once life is created it can evolve into many things as happened on Earth. But the odds of that specific combination of things to create life could by one in infinity or just one in a billion. We just cant know.

It will be interesting to see if there was the existence of Water on Mars. If there is then there is the probability of life existing on another planet in our solar system, so a far greater chance of life existing elsewhere.

Mars have ice on it's polar caps and the indications are there that there were lots of liquid water at some point, but water can't exist there now because of the lack of atmosphere (unless it's stored away somewhere). If Earth's magnetic field weakened significantly over a long period of time the same thing could happen here.

Perhaps we're all a kind of 'sims' game for the other beings??

Nah, Imagine if you are E.T and you got a small heath family to control you would start again I think as you would never find them a job so no furniture etc (mirrors real life a bit too closly) .Depends on the version of SIMS I suppose. :D

Â