Extra Terrestrial Life. Do you believe?

Mr_Dogg

Do you believe in Extra Terrestrial Life?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe in Extra Terrestrial Life?

• Yes. It has to be out there.
    • No way.
    • I don't know.

This poll is closed to new votes

4 hours ago, blandy said:

I disagree. How evolved life is on the trillions of other planets and stars, or which have any form of life or not cannot be known, but there is actual evidence of life elsewhere, so the individual probability for each planet/ star is incredibly remote, but collectively it’s not. Collectively I’d wager it’s more likely than not. 

NASA

the stuff on Mars would come under the microbials definition, wouldn't it  ?

As you say  , there are probably trillions of things out there that could be deemed to be "alive"  I qualified my "we are alone " statement by defining it as "intelligent " life  ... by which I mean capable of either communicating with us or sending someone out in advance ships to anally probe us 

Edited by tonyh29
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

As you say  , there are probably trillions of things out there that could be deemed to be "alive"  I qualified my "we are alone " statement by defining it as "intelligent " life  ... by which I mean capable of either communicating with us or sending someone out in advance ships to anally probe us 

As several posters have pointed out, it's the 'capable of communicating' bit that's the problem. There could be millions of planets out there with lifeforms way more advanced and sophisticated than us, but they ain't getting round the distances and the speed of light issue. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

sending someone out in advance ships to anally probe us 

I saw a documentary about that. It was part of the "South Park" series of docos. It looked slightly cartoonish, tbh. But the evidence is there on film.

18 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

As several posters have pointed out, it's the 'capable of communicating' bit that's the problem. There could be millions of planets out there with lifeforms way more advanced and sophisticated than us, but they ain't getting round the distances and the speed of light issue. 

communicating may be complex but we've been scanning for electromagnetic leakage , biosignatures , light signatures and lots more   ...

No confirmed signs of civilizations or intelligent life elsewhere have been found, either in this Galaxy or in the observable universe of 2 trillion galaxies  , hence the the Fermi paradox and where is everyone  ? 

The Great Filter and Drake Equations (both not without their flaws and critics) also add arguments as to why we might not hear from anyone .    I will concede that I know next to zero on the whole subject, but i still think it's unlikely   

During the development of the MARS Rover it was tested in a remote area that had similar terrain to Mars.   I think it was the Nevada desert??

Anyway.........

They tested all the equipment including the ones that might detect life.  They all worked as designed,  but they failed to detect any life.  

If we can land on Earth and fail to find evidence of life, it could easily exist as close as the moon.  

17 hours ago, mjmooney said:

ancient-aliens-i-dont-know-therefore-aliens_afef620cc5622511447db0fd14cf5cfe.jpg

I love this guy, he's utterly ridiculous and has a blatant disregard for the scientific method. Any question, the answer is alway aliens, "Hey Giorgio, do you want a cup of tea?".

I binged on Ancient Aliens when I had COVID. I first read Chariots of the gods by Erich von Daniken when I was at school. When I was up Leeds, I spent the weekly train journeys reading all the books by Zecharia Sitchin.

It's hard not to imagine that there is other "intelligent" life out there. Where are they all though? Drake equation anybody?

Could we be the only intelligent life? If so, we should have a look at ourselves and stop f**king bickering and fighting.

7 minutes ago, bielesibub said:

I love this guy, he's utterly ridiculous and has a blatant disregard for the scientific method. Any question, the answer is alway aliens, "Hey Giorgio, do you want a cup of tea?".

I binged on Ancient Aliens when I had COVID. I first read Chariots of the gods by Erich von Daniken when I was at school. When I was up Leeds, I spent the weekly train journeys reading all the books by Zecharia Sitchin.

It's hard not to imagine that there is other "intelligent" life out there. Where are they all though? Drake equation anybody?

Could we be the only intelligent life? If so, we should have a look at ourselves and stop f**king bickering and fighting.

Most animals are much more intelligent than most people think..

31 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Well there wont be anything on mercury or venus as both (esp venus) too hot and volatile for anything to live there.

I would imagine if there is life out there they would most likely live on moons

I think both were capable of sustaining life millions of years ago  , i.e there is evidence that Venus had water  ... but not all of the conditions were met  ( see "Great Filter" )  even though Venus had a few million years to do so  .

27 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I think both were capable of sustaining life millions of years ago  , i.e there is evidence that Venus had water  ... but not all of the conditions were met  ( see "Great Filter" )  even though Venus had a few million years to do so  .

My only question would be if there was life i do wonder if they considered re populating elsewhere on another planet (like we seem to be doing with mars when the sun wipes us out) unless they were taken out like the dinosaurs 

13 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

My only question would be if there was life i do wonder if they considered re populating elsewhere on another planet (like we seem to be doing with mars when the sun wipes us out) unless they were taken out like the dinosaurs 

its about 8 billion years before the sun turns into a red giant and vaporises us   .. i think the theory is humans will be long wiped out by then  , re-settlement is one for our insect overlords to figure out 

Edited by tonyh29

10 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

its about 8 billion years before the sun turns into a red giant and vaporises us   .. i think the theory is humans will be long wiped out by then  , re-settlement is one for our insect overlords to figure out 

We are gonna wipe ourselves out at this rate way before the sun does !

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

8 billion years time, if humanity is still about then, do you reckon we'll have evolved enough to stop us biting our own tongues when eating?

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Well there wont be anything on mercury or venus as both (esp venus) too hot and volatile for anything to live there.

Mercury is partially tidally locked, the day side is really hot, but the night side is really cold. This means that there is a slow moving band of moderate temperature. It's unlikely that life could evolve in those conditions, but if life existed on Mercury before it came to be in it's current (highly elliptical) orbit, it could still persist.

However, we've seen no evidence of any indicators of life.

Venus is too hot for life as we know it.

20 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I dont see communication as the main issue.IMHO the main issue is that on earth we seem to be constantly at war.There is always a war going on someplace.So, why would intelligent life want to communicate with people that seem to want to fight and kill all the time.

Â