Transfer Window Summer 2018

VILLAMARV

I think we'll probably get three or four loans, it's just that we probably won't get them until everyone else has had their turn at the trough and, given we won't be making much of a wage contribution, as I said before I'm expecting less Robert Snodgrass, more Jake Clarke-Salter. 

• Like 1

At least now brucey is staying we have his "contacts"

We can now blood other teams young players on loan for another season again instead of our own so baggies can sign them.

Let the rebuild commence.....

Edited by AshVilla
  • Like 3

The villa engine has now become the bruce engine. 

Oh how low we have dropped. Steve Bruce is now going to shape and define our future. And the worst of it is, when he finally leaves and we are a **** shambolic team cemented in this league, he will get a free ride from the press 

13 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

The villa engine has now become the bruce engine. 

Oh how low we have dropped. Steve Bruce is now going to shape and define our future. And the worst of it is, when he finally leaves and we are a **** shambolic team cemented in this league, he will get a free ride from the press 

Really, what should they say?

The manager doesn't set the budget. The manager doesn't pay the bills, secure the financing, or run contract negotiations. 

The manager sets out the team, and gets them to perform as best he can. On that measure, Bruce took the club from circa 20th in the league to 4th over about eighteen months. You can certainly argue he should have achieved more, and there may be other holes you can pick in his time managing the team, but sorry, the club's financial situation isn't his fault. I imagine the press will consider his tenure, when it ends, in terms of what the club achieved or didn't on the pitch. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

Really, what should they say?

The manager doesn't set the budget. The manager doesn't pay the bills, secure the financing, or run contract negotiations. 

The manager sets out the team, and gets them to perform as best he can. On that measure, Bruce took the club from circa 20th in the league to 4th over about eighteen months. You can certainly argue he should have achieved more, and there may be other holes you can pick in his time managing the team, but sorry, the club's financial situation isn't his fault. I imagine the press will consider his tenure, when it ends, in terms of what the club achieved or didn't on the pitch. 

It should mention his failure to get us promoted after being provided with resources nearly every other team could not match, and that this failure has contributed to the financial issues at the club. 

Instead it will say what a tough job he had and how loyal he remained throughout. 

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

It should mention his failure to get us promoted after being provided with resources nearly every other team could not match, and that this failure has contributed to the financial issues at the club. 

Instead it will say what a tough job he had and how loyal he remained throughout. 

Since, once again, he didn't set the budget or lead contract negotiations, the fact that 'the resources he was provided with' were unsustainable for the football club is not his fault, nor the thing he should be remembered for. 

The journalists you're discussing will be doing their jobs properly if they evaluate his performance based on his actual role, rather than other people's. 

Anyway, this is the Transfer Window thread, so let's leave it there. We certainly aren't going to agree anyway. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Since, once again, he didn't set the budget or lead contract negotiations, the fact that 'the resources he was provided with' were unsustainable for the football club is not his fault, nor the thing he should be remembered for. 

The journalists you're discussing will be doing their jobs properly if they evaluate his performance based on his actual role, rather than other people's. 

Anyway, this is the Transfer Window thread, so let's leave it there. We certainly aren't going to agree anyway. 

Thought his role was to get us up. 

Managers in this league, which we are now firmly a member of - often have a zero net spend - I expect worse than that this season but somehow I expect a manager of Bruce's experience to make us competitive. It can be done. And all those who say no, well they haven't adjusted from the days of spending. 

Edited by Jareth

13 minutes ago, John said:

Does anyone else suspect tomorrow might be a time for the club to attempt to bury some bad news concerning at least one of our players imminent departure?

That's a Saturday - therefore not a Tuesday or a Wednesday. #FakeNews. 

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Managers in this league, which we are now firmly a member of - often have a zero net spend - I expect worse than that this season but somehow I expect a manager of Bruce's experience to make us competitive. It can be done. And all those who say no, well they haven't adjusted from the days of spending. 

What do you class as competitive. I'll be interested to see if you do actually expect that, should things not go well. 

What do you class as competitive.

Call me old fashioned, but winning a few games in the league you are in. Bruce has a good win percentage, did you know?

Just now, Jareth said:

Call me old fashioned, but winning a few games in the league you are in. Bruce has a good win percentage, did you know?

Yeah, that's what i thought. No real expectations then. Win a few games. What a tough job he has. 

Yeah, that's what i thought. No real expectations then. Win a few games. What a tough job he has. 

Support the team or don't support the team - the choice is yours. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Support the team or don't support the team - the choice is yours. 

I support the club. I don't support a manager getting an easy pay day, or a fraud holding onto the club so he doesn't lose money. Different things. 

12 hours ago, John said:

The Birmingham Mail report that Sheffield United are interested in loaning Hogan from us. I can see why they might want to do that but would be in it for us? 

I could see Wilder getting 15-20 goals out of him with style they play

Â