Transfer Window Summer 2018

VILLAMARV

7 hours ago, sne said:

Going into the season with only 1 CB (possibly 2 if you count Tuanzebe) and thinking that Jedi is good enough to do the job might not make him an idiot.

But it certainly wasn't clever either.

He clearly didn't want to go into the season with such a lack of centrebacks as we were trying to sign a couple on deadline day.

But yes, failing to make any of those signings was a massive **** up. My post wasn't a defence of that whatsoever.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, villabromsgrove said:

I've always thought that if you're good enough you're old enough, but our young right back Mitch Clark said recently that U23 and "men's football" are totally different.

He said that when you're playing U23 football, you're being coached technically as you're still learning the game and there's a lot of passing and movement, but when you step up to "the men's game" (his words) it's about concentration and being able to kick the ball long.

If we're still coaching totally different methods of football through the age groups at AVFC, how can we expect players to make the transition seamlessly?

Gosh if this is correct and I have no reason whatsoever to doubt this for a moment - this is a damning indictment of Bruce in my view as I say if correct   - and tells me we are in a bigger mess than I thought.

i was listening to the radio last week and they were saying how Wolves play the same way at every level - maintaining consistency and development right through the club Nuno is light years ahead  of our present incumbent  - we are in serious danger of becoming a Forest/Leeds/Wednesday.

we need change and quick or face a bleak future 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave J said:

Gosh if this is correct and I have no reason whatsoever to doubt this for a moment - this is a damning indictment of Bruce in my view as I say if correct   - and tells me we are in a bigger mess than I thought.

i was listening to the radio last week and they were saying how Wolves play the same way at every level - maintaining consistency and development right through the club Nuno is light years ahead  of our present incumbent  - we are in serious danger of becoming a Forest/Leeds/Wednesday.

we need change and quick or face a bleak future 

I've been thinking this has been the problem at our club for absolute eons. From our fairly good youth teams years ago, to the youth team that won the nextgen there's was always very decent off ball movement and technical players. Well at least from the matches I saw. Then you compare it to what's been going on at the senior level since MON took over. It's been very similar to the hoofball that's prevailent in Norway. All about kick and run, strength and pace. 

I actually looked at the European Cup win today, and while it's unfair to compare the best players in Europe to the dross we currently have, there are a few things that are so incredibly different. Firstly they were not afraid to run forwards with the ball in their feet. Secondly there was so much off ball movement. If one player nutmegged an opponent he always had a player to pass it to who where running forwards. Awful comparison I know, but this part of AVFC just frustrates the beejebus out of me. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
Grammar

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Making up your own points to argue with again.

Come back when you actually want to reply to my post as opposed to whatever you've made up in your head.

I think your own posts are guilty of 'fantasy' but cheers for the heads up.

I am not the one writing off players before they play in their 'actual' position, But yeah ignore me, I must be seeing things!!  :rolleyes:

9 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Tuanzebe looks shit though.

If he was actually any good then I imagine he'd be playing at CB. I know it goes against the VT narrative, but Bruce isn't an idiot. If he had a good CB under his nose I imagine he would play him at CB.

The truth is more likely that Tuanzebe is still crap.

Both Huth or Collins would likely be a better option than Jedinak or Tuanzebe. So I say get either or both of them in.

Bruce loaned him in as a CB. That certainly looks like an idiotic decision, if he cannot now play him in that position.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, villabromsgrove said:

I've always thought that if you're good enough you're old enough, but our young right back Mitch Clark said recently that U23 and "men's football" are totally different.

He said that when you're playing U23 football, you're being coached technically as you're still learning the game and there's a lot of passing and movement, but when you step up to "the men's game" (his words) it's about concentration and being able to kick the ball long.

If we're still coaching totally different methods of football through the age groups at AVFC, how can we expect players to make the transition seamlessly?

He needs to be careful what he says. If he offends Bruce, we know what will happen, and he is too good a player for us to lose him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I am not the one writing off players before they play in their 'actual' position, But yeah ignore me, I must be seeing things!!  :rolleyes:

This post is proof. 

I’ve never written off Tuanzebe. I’ve said over and over and over again that he has potential and he could well get a chance at CB and prove to be a revelation. 

All I’ve ever said is right now he doesn’t look ready because he’s been crap whenever he has played, albeit out of position.

That you continue to interpret this as “writing off” is further proof that you just make stuff up to argue with. 

Edited by Stevo985

17 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

This post is proof. 

I’ve never written off Tuanzebe. I’ve said over and over and over again that he has potential and he could well get a chance at CB and prove to be a revelation. 

All I’ve ever said is right now he doesn’t look ready because he’s been crap whenever he has played, albeit out of position.

That you continue to interpret this as “writing off” is further proof that you just make stuff up to argue with. 

Why feckin loan him again if he isn’t ready. Surely the manager has to take responsibility for that.

• Like 2

This post is proof. 

Okay.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

It's the usual Bruce contradiction.

i dont think he's defending the choice to bring him back on loan, just merely that he doesnt look ready to start at CB.    The decision to loan him back as a right back is mind boggling to say the least

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, striker said:

Why feckin loan him again if he isn’t ready. Surely the manager has to take responsibility for that.

He does. I've never said anything different. He looks like a shit signing. Again.

11 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

You must know by now - some do believe they are the ultimate authority  on all things Aston Villa - good luck ??

• Haha 3

21 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Tuanzebe looks shit though.

If he was actually any good then I imagine he'd be playing at CB. I know it goes against the VT narrative, but Bruce isn't an idiot. If he had a good CB under his nose I imagine he would play him at CB.

The truth is more likely that Tuanzebe is still crap.

Both Huth or Collins would likely be a better option than Jedinak or Tuanzebe. So I say get either or both of them in.

The question here is... if Tuanzebe is indeed shit at centre back... why would we then play him out of position at right back. We have four right backs at the club...

I get what you are saying about the VT narrative on Bruce, it does come across that everyone on his back, but let's be honest when you are going into games with 4 players playing in the wrong positions he's hardly helping himself.

I'm with you on getting Huth (& Collins if we can afford it) in as if Bruce is not going to play Tuanzebe or Bedeau at centre back I would rather see one of those two playing there over Jedinak.

10 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

The question here is... if Tuanzebe is indeed shit at centre back... why would we then play him out of position at right back. We have four right backs at the club...

I get what you are saying about the VT narrative on Bruce, it does come across that everyone on his back, but let's be honest when you are going into games with 4 players playing in the wrong positions he's hardly helping himself.

I have no idea why he'd even re-sign Tuanzebe when he looks so crap.

and like I've said before, the playing out of position is being exaggerated. People are saying Hutton is "out of position" despite him showing last season he's actually better at LB than RB.
Jedinak is out of position, but he is actually our best option at CB at the moment (obviously not including Chester). 
That in itself is a absolute joke that we haven't signed any other CBs. But given the players we have right not, I can see why Jedi gets the nod, even though he's not good enough. It's between him and Tuanzebe and he's better.

So Tuanzebe at RB is the only real weird choice in the back four for me to be honest. I don't know why he insists on playing him when he's so poor there.

If I had to guess, it would be that he does want him to play CB but doesn't think he's ready yet. He's playing him at RB to get him used to the level of football before eventually moving him to CB.

But that's just a guess. It's the only way it really makes sense to me.

Put it this way. If I had to pick our back four right now, I would pick

Hutton, Chester, Jedinak, Elmohamady

So only one player different. 
But again this will be jumped on as a defence of Bruce. So I'll clarify by saying it is a joke that we only have one proper CB at the club. I've put Jedinak in that lineup but he is not good enough and it is absolutely Bruce's fault that we haven't got another centreback or two.

• Like 3

I have no idea why he'd even re-sign Tuanzebe when he looks so crap.

and like I've said before, the playing out of position is being exaggerated. People are saying Hutton is "out of position" despite him showing last season he's actually better at LB than RB.
Jedinak is out of position, but he is actually our best option at CB at the moment (obviously not including Chester). 
That in itself is a absolute joke that we haven't signed any other CBs. But given the players we have right not, I can see why Jedi gets the nod, even though he's not good enough. It's between him and Tuanzebe and he's better.

So Tuanzebe at RB is the only real weird choice in the back four for me to be honest. I don't know why he insists on playing him when he's so poor there.

If I had to guess, it would be that he does want him to play CB but doesn't think he's ready yet. He's playing him at RB to get him used to the level of football before eventually moving him to CB.

But that's just a guess. It's the only way it really makes sense to me.

Put it this way. If I had to pick our back four right now, I would pick

Hutton, Chester, Jedinak, Elmohamady

So only one player different. 
But again this will be jumped on as a defence of Bruce. So I'll clarify by saying it is a joke that we only have one proper CB at the club. I've put Jedinak in that lineup but he is not good enough and it is absolutely Bruce's fault that we haven't got another centreback or two.

Stevo i totally agree with you. Tuanzebe aside I would probably play the same back 4. 

Just cant get my head around how we are in this situation. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

Â