The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

I don't like cheating. And I don't like the idea of teams losing because of human error(referees). So I'm all for it. 

However it still has some hickups and needs to be used more concisely and efficient. 

Off sides, Red Cards/Second yellow, diving, violent conduct, penalties. 

I literally do not understand the point in VAR if you're not going to give the referee a second look at the handball which would have won Watford a penalty yesterday. We may as well revert to rugby style video refs making the decision on behalf of the referee, as they did there. 

Shot up towards his arm from close up. He turns away, and brings his arms in as close as he can behind his body. I don't see what more he could possibly have done to try to get out of the way of it.

If that's a handball, it's time to just give up on 'deliberate' handball and give it whenever there's contact between an arm and the ball, under any circumstances.

Watford denied penalty as ball hits Vincent Kompany's arm

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2

Yep, never a pen. Kompany did well to react enough as he did in such a split second moment to get his arms in close in an attempt to get them out of the way. Nothing else he could have done.

For me they should ALL be handball. It's ridiculous that you can gain an advantage doing something you shouldn't, just because you didn't mean to. Why not allow all fouls, because they didn't deliberately foul the player, they just attempted to stop the ball and were a split second out. 

The only decision refs should have to make is whether it's an indirect free kick or a penalty, that's where the rule needs fixing IMO. 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I literally do not understand the point in VAR if you're not going to give the referee a second look at the handball which would have won Watford a penalty yesterday. We may as well revert to rugby style video refs making the decision on behalf of the referee, as they did there. 

I thought they did refer to VAR and decided straight away that a full review wasn’t needed?

1 hour ago, kurtsimonw said:

For me they should ALL be handball. It's ridiculous that you can gain an advantage doing something you shouldn't, just because you didn't mean to. Why not allow all fouls, because they didn't deliberately foul the player, they just attempted to stop the ball and were a split second out. 

The only decision refs should have to make is whether it's an indirect free kick or a penalty, that's where the rule needs fixing IMO. 

I think the main problem here is defining “getting an advantage”. For example, the penalty given to Man Utd against PSG - it’s a shot that is going about 30 yards over hitting the arm of a player who isn’t intentionally handling the ball. What advantage has he gained? If anything, Man Utd gain an advantage of a possible corner instead of a goal kick to PSG. 

This is why I’m against your idea - it would be a farce. Since we have VAR, I’d go for a system whereby handball is either deliberate or stopping an on target shot/completed pass. 

Just now, bobzy said:

I think the main problem here is defining “getting an advantage”. For example, the penalty given to Man Utd against PSG - it’s a shot that is going about 30 yards over hitting the arm of a player who isn’t intentionally handling the ball. What advantage has he gained? If anything, Man Utd gain an advantage of a possible corner instead of a goal kick to PSG. 

This is why I’m against your idea - it would be a farce. Since we have VAR, I’d go for a system whereby handball is either deliberate or stopping an on target shot/completed pass. 

Yeah that's what I mean by they have to be given. I didn't clarify properly, if you don't gain any advantage they shouldn't be given. For example Tuanzebe miscontrolled the ball, with nobody around him against WBA and it his his hand - he didn't gain anything so it shouldn't be given.

But Kompany yesterday? Who cares if he didn't mean it or did his best to pull out, it's a penalty (or indirect free kick) for me. 

4 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Shot up towards his arm from close up. He turns away, and brings his arms in as close as he can behind his body. I don't see what more he could possibly have done to try to get out of the way of it.

If that's a handball, it's time to just give up on 'deliberate' handball and give it whenever there's contact between an arm and the ball, under any circumstances.

Watford denied penalty as ball hits Vincent Kompany's arm

Head the ball away?

• Like 2

The 'great' Kompany turning away with his hand up, when he could have stood tall and block the shot with his body, for me I can see both sides so I wasn't surprised that it wasn't given but equally wouldn't have been surprised if it were given. 

That's not a natural position for his arm to be in. It's a penalty IMO. The deliberate nature of it kicks in when he moves his arm into that unnatural position. 

However, that's kinda besides the point. The decision is not mine to make, nor should it be that of the VAR deliberator. There is a clear and distinct movement which brings his arm into contact with the ball and so the referee should be afforded the chance to have another look and decide for himself. That is how they have presented the way in which the technology should be used, whether I think it is a penalty or not is irrelevant.

I just want them to be consistent. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

Your arms should be along your body. If it's point out in either direction at a given angel, say 45 degrees our more It should result in a handball. 

What do you need your arms flailing around for anyways? Push and pull other players? 

12 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

I don't mind this as an idea actually.

Start paying indirect free kicks inside the box for every single handball and only pay penalties for particularly bad ones where a shot is blocked or someone has their arm stretched out.

I'd be interested to see it trialed.

6 hours ago, Skruff said:

Your arms should be along your body. If it's point out in either direction at a given angel, say 45 degrees our more It should result in a handball. 

What do you need your arms flailing around for anyways? Push and pull other players? 

If you’re jumping your arms wouldn’t be alongside your body

13 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

Yep it'll end up like the hockey foot rule, end the debate once and for all

28 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Yep it'll end up like the hockey foot rule, end the debate once and for all

So you would be allowed to use your hands?

As it is now the goal counts if it goes by the skate, but not if there is a "kicking motion"

Think there are plans to change it back so you will be allowed to kick it next season. Like we had a couple of years ago.

The hockey rules in Sweden at least is a total mess when it comes to scoring goals. VAR has made it a nightmare and there is no clear line in how situations are judged from one game to another, or even in the same game. 

1 hour ago, sne said:

So you would be allowed to use your hands?

As it is now the goal counts if it goes by the skate, but not if there is a "kicking motion"

Think there are plans to change it back so you will be allowed to kick it next season. Like we had a couple of years ago.

The hockey rules in Sweden at least is a total mess when it comes to scoring goals. VAR has made it a nightmare and there is no clear line in how situations are judged from one game to another, or even in the same game. 

The other hockey

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â