The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

19 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

For me they should ALL be handball. It's ridiculous that you can gain an advantage doing something you shouldn't, just because you didn't mean to. Why not allow all fouls, because they didn't deliberately foul the player, they just attempted to stop the ball and were a split second out. 

The only decision refs should have to make is whether it's an indirect free kick or a penalty, that's where the rule needs fixing IMO. 

But then a player could just whack it at someones arm to get a penalty. We just need a bit more clear definition on what is intent and what isn't. 

21 hours ago, PaulC said:

But then a player could just whack it at someones arm to get a penalty. We just need a bit more clear definition on what is intent and what isn't. 

They could, but this seems like a weird argument that would never come to light.  If I'm heading into the box, my first thought is not going to be "let's try and kick the ball against someones' arm" - it would be to attempt to score or pass to someone who is better placed to do so.  I'm not even sure it would be that easy to deliberately kick a ball against an opponents' arm at the pace the game is generally played.

If I'm honest, I find the whole situation a bit bizarre.  Deliberate handballs are obvious and should be punished but, otherwise, I don't see why people are so keen to see penalties given for a ball striking an arm in any circumstance.  Would much rather focus being put on defenders being able to manhandle attackers at any corner or there being greater punishment for deliberate trips/pulls/whatever if a team is counter-attacking.

• 3 weeks later...

Amusing tonight between Portugal and Switzerland. Penalty shout for the swiss, while under review Portugal go down the other end and have a penalty shout themselves.

After much deliberation the ref gives the penalty to Switzerland.

Edit - to add more detail the Portugal penalty was nailed on, the Switzerland penalty was dubious as ****

Edited by Shropshire Lad
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, BG_Villa_Fan said:

Hope people won't jump on VAR because of this truly ridiculous referee decision. VAR did its job, everyone but him saw it. 

This seems to be the biggest issue with it at the moment. 

And I go back to what I said before, I feel like the referees feel under too much pressure to reverse their decision when it's referred to VAR. because of this "clear and obvious error" shit. 

If something is referred because VAR thinks it's a clear and obvious mistake then of course the ref is going to think he should overturn it. 

I think it should just be VAR that makes the decision. If they're a qualified ref then why not. That's what happens in other sports. Rugby for example, the ref refers to the video ref and takes his word for it.
There can still be some scenarios where VAR can say they're unsure and the on field ref needs to review it. But I think this "clear and obvious" stuff puts pressure on the officials to change their mind

• Like 2

Statement on PL website regarding VAR introduction in 2019-20 campaign https://www.premierleague.com/news/1235515

Premier League clubs were today provided with an update on plans for the introduction of Video Assistant Referees (VAR) in the competition next season.

This included details on in-stadium communications, in particular when there is a clear delay to a match because of VAR, and when refereeing decisions are over-turned due to the intervention of VAR.

The Premier League has created graphics which will be displayed on giant screens to explain any VAR-related delay to a match, and any overturned decision.

Additionally, if the VAR believes there is a definitive video clip which helps explain an overturned decision, it will be broadcast on giant screens.

Also, the Premier League is investigating the possibility of messages and video clips being viewed on handheld devices via an app.

For clubs who do not have giant screens in their stadium, VAR communications will be made via a combination of PA announcements and messages on scoreboards.

Interestingly they are going to display video clips for definitive decisions. Surely these will mainly be used for offsides, can't see it being used for many penalty shouts  

Edited by P.O.B

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

There can still be some scenarios where VAR can say they're unsure and the on field ref needs to review it. 

I don't think I'd even do this.

If there's a potentially contentious situation, VAR reviews it, and either overturns it in the case of a clearly incorrect decision, otherwise goes with the ref's initial decision. If a referee panel can review the slow motion footage from multiple angles and still can't decide, I don't see much point in the ref taking another look, I'd just go with the initial call unless it's blatantly wrong.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I don't think I'd even do this.

If there's a potentially contentious situation, VAR reviews it, and either overturns it in the case of a clearly incorrect decision, otherwise goes with the ref's initial decision. If a referee panel can review the slow motion footage from multiple angles and still can't decide, I don't see much point in the ref taking another look, I'd just go with the initial call unless it's blatantly wrong.

Yeah it's a fair point.

Like I’ve said throughout, football is too fast and too fluid for VAR to be effective properly, it can only work if decisions can be made in an instant, which they can’t because you often need 5+ replays from different angles to make a decision.

Though I did not see it myself admittedly, the above situation from last night highlights exactly why I’ve been against it in the main.

• Like 1

Interested to see how it'll be practically carried out.

They've been testing this for the last three seasons every single Saturday from a production company in West London where the Premier League pictures are distributed from. They should be ready with a clear plan, but I fear they aren't.

The pictures the UEFA officials get from their little crapbox at the side of Champions League pitches are not as good as many of the TV replays available IMO, it's really weird. HawkEye do the Champions League replays with their own system, different from the operators in control of the TV pictures. Not sure who is in charge of the replays that will be shown to the crowd or ref in the PL. Hopefully the match production truck at each ground, because they have access to every single camera in the ground. You can't have an official making a decision then show the live crowd a different replay, it's potentially hanging to ref out to dry and asking for trouble.

Couple of teams are going to get royally screwed early on, maybe even throughout the season. I really hope it isn't us.

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

Couple of teams are going to get royally screwed early on, maybe even throughout the season. I really hope it isn't us.

1-0 up in the 95th minute vs United, you know its going to happen :(

I am the biggest supporter of VAR and I have seen it in a live game for the first time last week when I went to see u20 world cup 

It was shit.

We watched the replay of a goal on the big screen and it took the ref an extra 5 minutes to make a call that everyone knew was gonna happen. 

It does kill the vibe of a free flowing game. But, it is still better than having incorrect calls. So I'm still all for it.

• Like 1

It’s implemented in such a baffling way. Just have it like rugby.

Any reason why I shouldn’t have done X? Yes, you should have done Y, so do Y. Ok got it. Y it is. Or - you did X, could be X or Y, so stick with X. 

I don’t agree with this on field screen bullshit at all. If it’s contentious enough to need the ref to “have another look” and a VAR himself cant say for certain, just stick with the refs original decision. Some will be happy, some won’t. That’s football. 

Edited by Spoony
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Spoony said:

It’s implemented in such a baffling way. Just have it like rugby.

Any reason why I shouldn’t have done X? Yes, you should have done Y, so do Y. Ok got it. Y it is. Or - you did X, could be X or Y, so stick with X. 

Yep. I have no idea why they're trying to reinvent the wheel

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

I am the biggest supporter of VAR and I have seen it in a live game for the first time last week when I went to see u20 world cup 

It was shit.

We watched the replay of a goal on the big screen and it took the ref an extra 5 minutes to make a call that everyone knew was gonna happen. 

It does kill the vibe of a free flowing game. But, it is still better than having incorrect calls. So I'm still all for it.

Was same when i saw it live. Its not fun at all for supporters

I see Old Trafford and Anfield is only 2 stadiums that won't show replays next season as have no screen. If was Brighton or Watford I could imagine they would be forced to install them

• Thanks 1

On 07/06/2019 at 19:47, Zatman said:

I see Old Trafford and Anfield is only 2 stadiums that won't show replays next season as have no screen. If was Brighton or Watford I could imagine they would be forced to install them

Haha shitholes, bit of an oversight in the expansion plans there.....

Almost had a major VAR controversy in the Australia Italy women's world cup game. The Australians very very nearly scored a goal, after which the game stopped and was dragged back to the other end for a penalty appeal for the Italians. In the end it was deemed not a penalty, but if it had been (and if the Australians hadn't missed their chance) then presumably the Australian goal would have been chalked off and the game would have rewound to the other end of the pitch for an Italian penalty.

Would have been confusing for the crowd that one!

I’ve come to the conclusion that I don’t like it. In principle it’s a good idea, I think the idea is it gets rid of those glaring injustices. I’m talking Maradona hand ball, Henry against Ireland but where do you draw the line?

We love football for the speed, the emotion, the “moment” of it. VAR is killing it all. I wonder how many incredible moments we’d have been robbed of over the years if it was pulled back because the wide man was 6 inches offside in the first phase of the build up? 

Conceding a goal that probably shouldn’t have stood is actually part of the excitement and why we love it (if you take a step back). It’s the talking point. I’m also a believer in that they even themselves out anyway over time anyway.

We've had a few recent incidents that have shown VAR to be a cancer on the sport. It’s going to sanitize it. The euphoric moment of a goal flying in is slowing slipping away... just in case. The incredible come back goal from MC against spurs, that was then ruled out. Everybody left deflated. Like a robbery.

No thanks, I’d take the old way with it’s flaws over this.

• Like 1

Â