The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I've never understood this argument either.
Not everybody has linesmen. I played Sunday league and occasional Saturday league for years and probably had proper linesemen twice. 

So presumably you're against them?
Or 4th officials? 
or goalline officials?
Or goalline technology? 
Or vanishing spray?
Or mic'd up officials?
Or technical areas?
Or electronic boards for the fourth official?
Or more than one match ball?

None of those can be had and/or afforded by everyone.

I agree that there needs to be a level playing field within specific competitions. For example the FA cup this year, I don't think it's right that VAR was available in some games and not others.

But I don't agree with the argument that just because a non league team can't afford something or have something in the 9th tier league of football means the premier league shouldn't have them either

Just to clarify. I'm NOT against any of the above. My concern is mostly abouut issues around FA cup games and the issues surrounding the haves and the have nots.....a 'level playing field' as you so rightly said!

Big teams can 'take the hit' more readily than lower league clubs where a wrong decision can have a major impact on their finances!

As I said, I may have a change of heart when 'everyione' in the major tournaments has access to VAR.....thats been my standpoint from the outset!

the jubilation only for it to be taken away. in that moment you would forget that the goal would be reviewed. they would have been giving the spurs fans loads only to be left red faced. i get it would have been a disgrace had that goal have stood, but it's going to take a lot of getting used to. every time you score you would need to tone down your celebrations until you the review is over. i dont know what i'd prefer...starting to think @bannedfromHandV has a point. but the players need to remember it's there too...those city players just couldnt regroup themselves for a final push after that

6 minutes ago, sne said:

did the ball touch Llorentes hand thou?

It did, but I wouldn’t say the evidence was decisive enough to overturn the decision.

12 minutes ago, sne said:

did the ball touch Llorentes hand thou?

I watched it in Hungary on Croatian TV and it appeared to be a double contact - hand then thigh/hip ... but after about the 27th viewing I think it was thigh/hip only so correct call

Edited by tonyh29

Even though it's done it's job tonight I'm still worried that over time it will train the goal reaction, as it is, out of fans. The immediacy of a goal celebration sets football apart for me and it would be an awful thing if it was to become more subdued due to it's influence.

• Like 3

As always with hand ball I've no idea what the rules say, or how they are interpreted. 

If the ball is directed into the goal via the hand is that still OK as long as it's not intentional?

I got the impression that even thou the ref took his sweet time to make the call he felt pressured to not take too long a time in doing so and just went with his initial call.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sne said:

As always with hand ball I've no idea what the rules say, or how they are interpreted. 

If the ball is directed into the goal via the hand is that still OK as long as it's not intentional?

I got the impression that even thou the ref took his sweet time to make the call he felt pressured to not take too long a time in doing so and just went with his initial call.

i believe there are new rules coming into effect next season, one of which being that if a goal is score with an arm/hand, intentional or not, it's disallowed

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, flamingsombrero said:

Even though it's done it's job tonight I'm still worried that over time it will train the goal reaction, as it is, out of fans. The immediacy of a goal celebration sets football apart for me and it would be an awful thing if it was to become more subdued due to it's influence.

Exactly, this is what I've been trying to get across, it stands to change football irrevocably. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Exactly, this is what I've been trying to get across, it stands to change football irrevocably. 

well it's a trade off. a change in how we celebrate goals basically for the big decisions to be correct. the powers that be have decided that it's worth the trade and many agree...some obviously dont and i'm sure there were debates too when the offside rule was introduced or when keepers suddenly couldnt pick up backpasses. but football fans over time adapted and accepted these changes, and we will here too.

• Like 3

I always assume every Villa goal will be disallowed one way or another anyway so I’m used to holding back slightly in my celebration :D

It made for dramatic viewing tonight. As if the game needed any more talking points.

2 correct decisions saw City eliminated. I’ve just watched that in a pub in Manchester, and to see those fans celebrating and then having the goal overturned is priceless. Tonight is as good an argument for VAR as you will ever see, brilliant.

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

well it's a trade off. a change in how we celebrate goals basically for the big decisions to be correct. the powers that be have decided that it's worth the trade and many agree...some obviously dont and i'm sure there were debates too when the offside rule was introduced or when keepers suddenly couldnt pick up backpasses. but football fans over time adapted and accepted these changes, and we will here too.

But they were minor tweaks to rules, we're talking a dilution of what the very essence of football is. 

Football is all about that moment, it doesn't matter if its against Wigan in the Championship or Barcelona in the Chumps Lge, mess with that and you mess with football. 

It's also added stress and we go through enough of that already! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

But they were minor tweaks to rules, we're talking a dilution of what the very essence of football is. 

Football is all about that moment, it doesn't matter if its against Wigan in the Championship or Barcelona in the Chumps Lge, mess with that and you mess with football. 

It's also added stress and we go through enough of that already! 

Not read the thread but 100% agree.

Ive no issue with VAR in principle, but I’ve a huge problem with stuff like that tonight.

Great for a TV fans, but nothing, absolutely nothing, in football, comes close to the outpouring of delerium and joy when we score a goal. 

It’s tough when that happens and somebody immediately points at the Lino and he’s indicating offside.

But to fully celebrate, then have it took off ?

It will inevitably mean celebrations become curtailed. I’d rather have incorrect decisions than that.

If they can come up with a way to tell fans in the ground there’s to be a review no slower than currently, no problem. And I don’t see why they couldn’t.

But if they can’t, it’s not for me. And, since it’s not going anywhere, I guess I’d have to.........watch on tv or online and it wouldn’t be an issue...

3 hours ago, tomav84 said:

the jubilation only for it to be taken away.  every time you score you would need to tone down your celebrations until you the review is over.

This does my head in these days in cricket... the wicket is given, the players and fans celebrate and then we all wait five minutes for the third umpire to decide whether it's actually a wicket. The thrill/disappointment of the wicket as it happens goes out the window.

I can understand why some people like VAR, but I much prefer the game without it.

• Like 1

I'll take getting the correct call every time. It's just so obvious to me. There are *huge* decision in games with great consequence and we have the ability to get it right with little added effort. Will things be lost? Yeah, but that trade off is worth it for me. 

• Like 4

Â