The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

12 hours ago, terrytini said:

It will inevitably mean celebrations become curtailed. I’d rather have incorrect decisions than that.

the problem is that until it happens to you, it's so easy to make that statement. not one spurs fan is complaining about the curtailed celebrations this morning. any reservations they would have had about VAR would be totally eliminated today.

6 hours ago, terrytini said:

But they get chalked off straight away. Not sure why you think it’s funny that people have genuine concerns about the effect on the game they love.....that’s as silly as me laughing at you thinking it’s a good idea.

I just find the shifting of the goalposts amusing, not the concerns themselves. The last few pages the argument was 'it doesn't work'. After a perfect example of it working to a tee, it conspicuously changed to 'it doesn't feel right'. An argument I sympathize with, but it's still amusing nonetheless. I feel like that's what the main gripe with it was essentially but nobody wanted to admit it until the other talking points were exhausted.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

the problem is that until it happens to you, it's so easy to make that statement. not one spurs fan is complaining about the curtailed celebrations this morning. any reservations they would have had about VAR would be totally eliminated today.

Thanks, the thought had occurred to me...I’m not stupid.

I would rather incorrect decisions than the scenario I’ve outlined.

That’s why I said it.

In my opinion...Football is a sport and exists for one reason only, the joy of playing or watching it.

Getting the correct decision is vital in heart surgery. It’s not vital in football. It’s ideal, but not vital

Whereas celebrating without waiting is, in my view, vital.

I am not saying No to VAR. I am saying that in cases like last night a review decision needs to be as quick as a linesman’s flag. If it can’t be ids prefer not to have the Review.

If you are a fan who watches sport on TV, anything that adds to the drama an£ tension is good fun.

Not if you are at the game.

In my view.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I just find the shifting of the goalposts amusing, not the concerns themselves. The last few pages the argument was 'it doesn't work'. After a perfect example of it working to a tee, it conspicuously changed to 'it doesn't feel right'. An argument I sympathize with, but it's still amusing nonetheless. I feel like that's what the main gripe with it was essentially but nobody wanted to admit it until the other talking points were exhausted.

Fair enough if that’s what’s happened - the same people altering their objections - I’ve not read the thread.

But it might just be different people having different objections.

Maybe people just don’t see it the way you do.

As I’ve said above, I’m fine with the principle. I watch cricket and rugby with it no problem, I watched last night and enjoyed it and the drama.

I even see people at games filming incidents and goals.....they probably wouldn’t be bothered either.

But if I’m at a Match and we score a goal I want the electric excitement of the moment.....it’s a large part of why I go. And the people around me falling all over reach other love that too.

So, there are times when VAR won’t impact that.... great.

But for that, last night, I’m not in favour.

In that circumstance, faster, or not at all, for me.

Thats my view I can’t really add to it.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Fair enough if that’s what’s happened - the same people altering their objections - I’ve not read the thread.

But it might just be different people having different objections.

Maybe people just don’t see it the way you do.

As I’ve said above, I’m fine with the principle. I watch cricket and rugby with it no problem, I watched last night and enjoyed it and the drama.

I even see people at games filming incidents and goals.....they probably wouldn’t be bothered either.

But if I’m at a Match and we score a goal I want the electric excitement of the moment.....it’s a large part of why I go. And the people around me falling all over reach other love that too.

So, there are times when VAR won’t impact that.... great.

But for that, last night, I’m not in favour.

In that circumstance, faster, or not at all, for me.

Thats my view I can’t really add to it.

I'm not sure how I feel about it all yet, but I do know I'd rather have correct decisions more often especially in big games. I watch basketball and hockey who have it and my enjoyment isn't any less than football. I think I'll get used to it.

1 hour ago, terrytini said:

If you are a fan who watches sport on TV, anything that adds to the drama an£ tension is good fun.

Not if you are at the game.

In my view.

Our game at the Tesco bags - if that had been VAR'd, then I could live with the Baggies disappointment that double handball would be spotted and their goal disallowed, whether at the game or not.

VAR's got a way to improve yet, and it will, but it's broadly a positive thing, IMO. Too much cheating, too many howlers from officials. If there was less cheating and ref mistakes, then there's be less of an argument for it.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, sne said:

The VAR pictures the ref didn't get to see.

I'm guessing because it was a rushed decision and a lot of pressure.

Wrong call even after VAR.

I just saw this angle on twitter and I think i've just gotten more confused about the handball rule. Live time as it happened yesterday, I thought the ref had made the right decision with VAR, but after seeing this combined with the other changed var decisions in the recent champs league I'm not so sure. 

• Like 1

I guess the opponent's of VAR can make a solid case for getting rid of the photo finish during sprinting/bike races?

Surely it takes away from the drama and ruins the sport?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mic09 said:

I guess the opponent's of VAR can make a solid case for getting rid of the photo finish during sprinting/bike races?

Surely it takes away from the drama and ruins the sport?

Wouldn't that be more goal line technology than VAR?

Regarding the Llorente goal... I don't think that's a VAR issue, it's a handball issue. The handball rule is just so ambiguous at the moment, that no decision can really be "wrong" unless it's overly blatant.

And those saying that "Even with VAR they still got the decision wrong", then what's the issue with VAR, as they'd have got it wrong without it anyway? VAR is only changing game is positive ways.

On 18/04/2019 at 02:26, sne said:

Problem is you are still not getting the correct call every time are you.

Fine. Let's talk probabilities: I will take getting the correct call a *significantly* greater percentage of the time. It takes away, for me, positive results that came as a consequence of a bad call, and destroys me when a bad call leads to a negative result against my team. 

• Like 1

On 18/04/2019 at 17:26, Mantis said:

Why didn't the linesman spot the offside straight away? You'd think at that level they'd have been able to get it.

I think he did see it. They've been told to keep their flag down for tight calls and let the VAR rule it out. This will happen a lot more going forward.

The thinking being that if someone scores and they're onside, fine goal. If you flag someone who was actually onside in error and stop them from getting a chance, you can't then give them the chance back retrospectively. 

On 18/04/2019 at 17:26, Mantis said:

Why didn't the linesman spot the offside straight away? You'd think at that level they'd have been able to get it.

In fairness, it's the exact kind of situation where its easy or easier to get it wrong, play was going the other way, spurs were in possession but lost it quickly, too quick for the linesman as it turned out. 

It's not like he was yards offside. 

I'm not sure why people are finding it 'amusing' that others are not comfortable with VAR, I'm sure it'll be amusing right up until we get done by it in the last minute of a big game. 

Like Terry said higher up, it's great for armchair fans and neutrals, in fact I feel like the whole VAR concept has been thought up by neutrals, for neutrals. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I'm not sure why people are finding it 'amusing' that others are not comfortable with VAR, I'm sure it'll be amusing right up until we get done by it in the last minute of a big game. 

Like Terry said higher up, it's great for armchair fans and neutrals, in fact I feel like the whole VAR concept has been thought up by neutrals, for neutrals. 

It is amusing. The reasons against it keep changing and becoming more watered down. “It will never work” to “...well it kills the flow”. I don’t get how we’d be “done by it” either? Do you mean we’ll score a goal and have it ruled out for an infringement? If so, fine. The referees should have spotted it. 

The only downside that I can see for it at the minute is that fans are in the dark a bit at stadiums. I don’t see how that gets improved other than having “VAR REVIEW” or something flashing up on screens at grounds - and I imagine that happens anyway. Fans and players will still celebrate. It’s ridiculous to think otherwise. 

bit bizarre watching City vs Spurs today both being denied penalties the would have been given with VAR. (One was a handball so you never know)

Same teams, same players as a few days ago. Same sport, different competition, same rules, different application and technology.

On 20/04/2019 at 14:04, bobzy said:

It is amusing. The reasons against it keep changing and becoming more watered down. “It will never work” to “...well it kills the flow”. I don’t get how we’d be “done by it” either? Do you mean we’ll score a goal and have it ruled out for an infringement? If so, fine. The referees should have spotted it. 

The only downside that I can see for it at the minute is that fans are in the dark a bit at stadiums. I don’t see how that gets improved other than having “VAR REVIEW” or something flashing up on screens at grounds - and I imagine that happens anyway. Fans and players will still celebrate. It’s ridiculous to think otherwise. 

Agreed.

VAR really can't hurt. Ultimately the decision comes down to the referee, who is capable of making mistakes regardless of the technology available. So even if you disagree with a post VAR decision, it comes down to the ref being crap. VAR isn't, and can't be, an issue. The issue will always be human error, something that will be limited by the use of VAR. 

Stuff like delayed celebrations, some fans not sure what's going on - this stuff happens (albeit less) now anyway. Villa have had some goals disallowed this season and I've not known why until after the game.

• 4 weeks later...
Â