The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

Goals get chalked off without VAR all the time, it's not some novel feeling. The pure anger after being shafted by an incompetent linesman missing an offside in a crucial game far outweighs the slight inconvenience of having to cut celebrations short on occasion when you score an offside goal.

But I like how the argument against VAR has pivoted to "it kills the feeling of football". It's progress at least :D 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, terrytini said:

Not read the thread but 100% agree.

Ive no issue with VAR in principle, but I’ve a huge problem with stuff like that tonight.

Great for a TV fans, but nothing, absolutely nothing, in football, comes close to the outpouring of delerium and joy when we score a goal. 

It’s tough when that happens and somebody immediately points at the Lino and he’s indicating offside.

But to fully celebrate, then have it took off ?

It will inevitably mean celebrations become curtailed. I’d rather have incorrect decisions than that.

If they can come up with a way to tell fans in the ground there’s to be a review no slower than currently, no problem. And I don’t see why they couldn’t.

But if they can’t, it’s not for me. And, since it’s not going anywhere, I guess I’d have to.........watch on tv or online and it wouldn’t be an issue...

I agree terry. Its going to kill the game because its used for every decision. It was meant to be used for only if a ball crossed the line. Now its being used for offsides, handball, penalty decisions. What's next corners and throw ons? 

It takes away the factor of when you score a goal. Let's say you score a goal against Blose in a big game. Fans going crazy. Goes to var then the fans have had that celebration taken off them for a moment. Its decided to be given the 'wild celebrations' would have been taken from the fans. 

I'm sorry but I dobt like this var it take sthe enjoyment out of football. None of us have experienced it yet but I think it's another nail in footballs coffin. 

Only should be used for if a ball crossed a line. 

41 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I agree terry. Its going to kill the game because its used for every decision. It was meant to be used for only if a ball crossed the line. Now its being used for offsides, handball, penalty decisions. What's next corners and throw ons? 

It takes away the factor of when you score a goal. Let's say you score a goal against Blose in a big game. Fans going crazy. Goes to var then the fans have had that celebration taken off them for a moment. Its decided to be given the 'wild celebrations' would have been taken from the fans. 

I'm sorry but I dobt like this var it take sthe enjoyment out of football. None of us have experienced it yet but I think it's another nail in footballs coffin. 

Only should be used for if a ball crossed a line. 

That's a fair enough view to have, but you should really lose the right to hammer refs week in week out on a Saturday for wrong calls if you're denying them the technology to help them out, and I bet there is close to zero chance of that happening.

5 hours ago, tyklip said:

I'll take getting the correct call every time. It's just so obvious to me. There are *huge* decision in games with great consequence and we have the ability to get it right with little added effort. Will things be lost? Yeah, but that trade off is worth it for me. 

Problem is you are still not getting the correct call every time are you.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

That's a fair enough view to have, but you should really lose the right to hammer refs week in week out on a Saturday for wrong calls if you're denying them the technology to help them out, and I bet there is close to zero chance of that happening.

But where does it stop? Fouls corners throw ons? 

If its going to be for every decision it will kill the game that's for sure. 

5 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Goals get chalked off without VAR all the time, it's not some novel feeling. The pure anger after being shafted by an incompetent linesman missing an offside in a crucial game far outweighs the slight inconvenience of having to cut celebrations short on occasion when you score an offside goal.

But I like how the argument against VAR has pivoted to "it kills the feeling of football". It's progress at least :D 

But they get chalked off straight away. Not sure why you think it’s funny that people have genuine concerns about the effect on the game they love.....that’s as silly as me laughing at you thinking it’s a good idea.

10 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

But where does it stop? Fouls corners throw ons? 

If its going to be for every decision it will kill the game that's for sure. 

Most fouls, throw ins and corners won't require the referee to stop the game and go look at a screen unless it's something serious like an off the ball punch. The officials watching the game on screens can easily communicate to the ref the right decisions throughout the game in the moment. It's probably happening already.

I still can't see a single argument against VAR. This "kills the game" nonsense is just nonsense. I thought last night was brilliant, and you can argue with the change of emotions as in the ground it as the goal got overturned added something extra to the game, rather than took something away. 

Llorente didn't even hand ball it, it hit his thigh. 

I think VAR does take away the emotion of the goal. Not that was anything wrong with the goal but look at Jack celebration in the derby or the Aguero title goal. If VAR was in play then you wont get enotional celebrations like that anymore as players will have to wait for decisions

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I think VAR does take away the emotion of the goal. Not that was anything wrong with the goal but look at Jack celebration in the derby or the Aguero title goal. If VAR was in play then you wont get enotional celebrations like that anymore as players will have to wait for decisions

Dunno, with Jack's goal you would as there was nothing in it to dispute.

5 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Dunno, with Jack's goal you would as there was nothing in it to dispute.

I said that in my post 😉 the point is players will wait around waiting for the VAR signal before they celebrate which will take away from the goal and atmosphere

7 minutes ago, sne said:

The VAR pictures the ref didn't get to see.

I'm guessing because it was a rushed decision and a lot of pressure.

Wrong call even after VAR.

See I disagree Llorente has his arms by his side and is been manhandled by Laporte so yes it brushes his arm but its not deliberate.  Unless players have amputations you will always get the ball brushing arms and so on.

Where it is clear the player cheated see Rodriguez against Villa then sure disallow and 20 match ban!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, S-Platt said:

See I disagree Llorente has his arms by his side and is been manhandled by Laporte so yes it brushes his arm but its not deliberate.  Unless players have amputations you will always get the ball brushing arms and so on.

Where it is clear the player cheated see Rodriguez against Villa then sure disallow and 20 match ban!

Doesn't need to be deliberate if it helps direct the ball into the net apparently.

The "deliberate" handball rule doesn't exist anymore.

Just now, sne said:

Doesn't need to be deliberate if it helps direct the ball into the net apparently.

The "deliberate" handball rule doesn't exist anymore.

but did it help put the ball in the net it was his thigh that did that his arm it just brushed?

3 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

but did it help put the ball in the net it was his thigh that did that his arm it just brushed?

If the ref sees those pictures it's not a goal.

Edit: In my opinion obviously, not trying to be a dick here 

Edited by sne

3 minutes ago, sne said:

If the ref sees those pictures it's not a goal.

Edit: In my opinion obviously, not trying to be a dick here 

I know my friend but that rule you mention does not exist yet.  This is from the FA Rules forgive me if UEFA is different:

HANDLING THE BALL

Handling the ball involves a deliberate act of a player making contact with the ball with the hand or arm.

The following must be considered:

the movement of the hand towards the ball (not the ball towards the hand)

the distance between the opponent and the ball (unexpected ball)

the position of the hand does not necessarily mean that there is an offence

touching the ball with an object held in the hand (clothing, shinguard, etc.) is an offence

hitting the ball with a thrown object (boot, shinguard, etc.) is an offence

The goalkeeper has the same restrictions on handling the ball as any other player outside the penalty area. Inside their penalty area, the goalkeeper cannot be guilty of a handling offence incurring a direct free kick or any related sanction but can be guilty of handling offences that incur an indirect free kick.

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Unintentional for me, you wouldnt give a penalty if the defenders hand is down so low

Sure, but once again is that the rule thou?

"The arm cannot have a material effect on a goal being scored. Intent or natural position do not factor in"

Now they might have changed this rule again, I do not know...

Â