The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

34 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

I agree - but you are assuming the "show" was for the players. There are 1000's in the stadium not knowing what is going on. I think the "show" was for them.

I think he specifically says he's doing it for the players, but I might be wrong.

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

I think he specifically says he's doing it for the players, but I might be wrong.

I found the video and replayed that part. You are right: "because the players are expecting it".

I take back what I said.

One thing I will say from the video is he has the full respect of the players. Watching European teams they are always in the refs face asking to check VAR for every incident.

20 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Watching European teams they are always in the refs face asking to check VAR for every incident.

Said it before but that's where we need to get to over here.

It needs to be clear that the use of VAR isn't decided by the ref or the players. It's decided by VAR. All this appealing is nonsense.

11 hours ago, Zatman said:

One thing I will say from the video is he has the full respect of the players. Watching European teams they are always in the refs face asking to check VAR for every incident.

I'm not 100% on this but I believe he is (soon to be was) regarded as clearly the best referee in Australia. There are others who don't command or receive the same respect.

• 3 weeks later...

Wonder how much City paid to get that VAR call.

Yes it catches Rose's arm but where is he supposed to have his arm? 

Not a pen IMO.

VAR is harming more than it's helping still.

Just now, sne said:

Wonder how much City paid to get that VAR call.

Yes it catches Rose's arm but where is he supposed to have his arm? 

Not a pen IMO.

VAR is harming more than it's helping still.

To be fair, after the penalty against PSG in the last round, if that wasnt given it would make more of a mockery of the system.  As long as it's consistent I don't see the issue.

2 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

To be fair, after the penalty against PSG in the last round, if that wasnt given it would make more of a mockery of the system.  As long as it's consistent I don't see the issue.

But it isn't consistent.

It's a lottery. Granted both of these call were given, and both were IMO wrong.

But you see things given or not given every week and there is no red line between how they are judged.

Edited by sne

1 minute ago, sne said:

But it isn't consistent.

It's a lottery. Granted both of these call were given, and both were IMO wrong.

But you see things given or not given every week and there is no red line between how they are judged.

As far as I can tell pretty much any shot that is likely to be going in that a defender has blocked with their arm is going to be judged a penalty, especially when reviewed with VAR.  That rule got confirmed in January apparently.  I don't think you can compare it to general week in, week out football where VAR isn't being used.  In this case I think not giving it would have been ridiculous, but now no doubt we will listen to the ex pros saying it's not a penalty, ignoring the actual law and how it is now being implemented.

20 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

As far as I can tell pretty much any shot that is likely to be going in that a defender has blocked with their arm is going to be judged a penalty, especially when reviewed with VAR.  That rule got confirmed in January apparently.  I don't think you can compare it to general week in, week out football where VAR isn't being used.  In this case I think not giving it would have been ridiculous, but now no doubt we will listen to the ex pros saying it's not a penalty, ignoring the actual law and how it is now being implemented.

But it is being used in France, Italy and Germany week in and week out, the handball rule is the same in all of UEFA and FIFA.

Not that anyone really knows how to implement or interpret i mind

Edit: Porto not given a pen after this tonight.

hands.jpg

Edited by sne

1 hour ago, PieFacE said:

The whole handball rule needs to be changed to make it a clear yes or no decesion. No "it's only a penalty if it's deliberate" nonsense. 

It's never worked that way.

I think they actually are changing it for that exact reason.

For me VAR has to ditch the "clear and obvious error" stuff. It's just so often misunderstood or misused.

Why does it have to be defined like that? Just make it that it refers incidents that VAR thinks needs to be reviewed.

• Like 2

For me this isn’t a VAR issue. In the World Cup it really worked to reduce refereeing errors and also cut out other stuff like players being pulled down in the area at corners.

The issue is the handball rule. I don’t think anyone really knows where we stand anymore. 

Not sure if it's one of the things VAR is allowed to inform the ref about but at least 1 Spurs player was very, very early into the penalty area, way before Kun hit the penalty.

And as always the goalie moved out from the goal line too early to stop the shot.

So the penalty should have been retaken according to the rules, but VAR don't care about this particular for of rule infringements. Apparently.

Edit: not sure if allowed to use or if it was but this surely should have been a red on Salah?

ca6b9a44-1c3d-40c1-aff9-6b672542b2d4?fit=crop&h=640&q=50&w=1100&s=d98b5aa2a067211a1b88b3e29c7c25a877998b7d

Edited by sne

13 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I think they actually are changing it for that exact reason.

They are - but I think it's going to muddy the waters even more.  Outside a "natural silhouette" - OK then!

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

They are - but I think it's going to muddy the waters even more.  Outside a "natural silhouette" - OK then!

I think that's far more clear than deliberate, or rather the way "deliberate" is applied at the moment (i.e. completely incorrectly)

11 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I think that's far more clear than deliberate, or rather the way "deliberate" is applied at the moment (i.e. completely incorrectly)

What's natural, though?  Going to be awful to implement.  They'll be giving penalties for the ball just striking the arm.  Maybe that's where people want the sport to go.  Bizarre comparisons between a defender being allowed to completely manhandle an attacker at any corner/free kick situation and not concede a penalty, but a ball being blasted at an arm from 5 yards away which happens to be slightly away from the body will result in a penalty being given.

(Completely agree that the way penalties are currently interpreted is incorrect anyway, though).

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 1

Â